• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Staples
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Good afternoon:

I recently acquired a golden age comic book ( Spook Mystery 26 ) and found there to be 2 sets of staples.  I have seen this in other comics and am aware of why this can happen with older comics.

The difference with this one is that both sets of staples are not aligned on the spine.  One set is on the spine itself however the 2nd set are near the spine but not on it ( similar to a Giant size x-men 1 staple location).  After close inspection, the staples appear to be original in both locations.

My question is, will this extra set of staples in the location cause this comic to be considered qualified?

Thank you for any help you might provide.

3 hours ago, palmabros1 said:

Good afternoon:

I recently acquired a golden age comic book ( Spook Mystery 26 ) and found there to be 2 sets of staples.  I have seen this in other comics and am aware of why this can happen with older comics.

The difference with this one is that both sets of staples are not aligned on the spine.  One set is on the spine itself however the 2nd set are near the spine but not on it ( similar to a Giant size x-men 1 staple location).  After close inspection, the staples appear to be original in both locations.

My question is, will this extra set of staples in the location cause this comic to be considered qualified?

Thank you for any help you might provide.

As long as the staples were inserted during the manufacturing process, it shouldn't affect the grade or reduce the book to Qualified status. It would likely prompt a note on the label, however. 

If extra staples have been added and it's not a manufacturing defect it would usually affect the overall grade, but the book could still remain a blue label book even then. 

Keep in mind that CGC graded examples of books manufactured with an extra set of staples are rare, so comparable copies are practically non existent. For research purposes, I'd be interested in seeing the book in question as well as other examples that've been CGC graded. Thank you for any additional information...

To me, this looks like a married cover. The pics aren't the best. Would help to try and see the staples holding the book together currently better...they could be "authentic" old staples but used to attach a cover on what was a coverless copy. 

How CGC would determine this I have no clue. Because if you had a coverless copy with the staples still stuck in it, it would be easy to take a cover and marry it and make it look pretty darn authentic. Could it be manufacturing? Sure. Personally I have not seen enough of this flaw though to weigh in on how common it is, especially being as off as they are. I know missing a staple happens and I have seen some older books where there are double staples but they are very close to each other. 

Edited by comicginger1789

6 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

To me, this looks like a married cover. The pics aren't the best. Would help to try and see the staples holding the book together currently better...they could be "authentic" old staples but used to attach a cover on what was a coverless copy. 

How CGC would determine this I have no clue. Because if you had a coverless copy with the staples still stuck in it, it would be easy to take a cover and marry it and make it look pretty darn authentic. Could it be manufacturing? Sure. Personally I have not seen enough of this flaw though to weigh in on how common it is, especially being as off as they are. I know missing a staple happens and I have seen some older books where there are double staples but they are very close to each other. 

While not completely unheard of, it's very unusual to see a book manufactured this way. Better pictures would help (especially if you could show a clear view of the entire cover). It is possible that someone married the cover and used two extra staples to attach it. In that scenario, you would most likely end up with a Qualified label and a notation regarding the marriage and the two extra staples...

I have a copy of Action Comics 439 (1974) that I bought off the stands new, where there are 4 staples.  Two of them are interior only.  Apparently when it was run, the press ran out of covers so it was sent back through to be stitched again with the cover.  Only time I have encountered 2 sets of staples in a new comic.

3 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

I have a copy of Action Comics 439 (1974) that I bought off the stands new, where there are 4 staples.  Two of them are interior only.  Apparently when it was run, the press ran out of covers so it was sent back through to be stitched again with the cover.  Only time I have encountered 2 sets of staples in a new comic.

I've had a couple dozen late Bronze books with double set of staples similar to your example.  One instance most came from the same source, CGC gave them blue labels and did not note anything on the label.    The Vintage comic posted above looks like they were added by a collector as a way of holding the comic together.