• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Place to sell Complete Swamp Thing Collection

2 posts in this topic

Approximately 30 years ago, at a fundraising auction I picked up a collection of Swamp Thing comics - almost all were in sealed packaging where they have stayed since my purchase.  I have Issues 1-24 plus House of Secrets 92 -first appearance.  I'm in the process of sending many of these to CGC for grading and packaging.  I am only sending those which I believe will be graded 8.5 or higher.  

That would be House of Secrets 92 and Swamp Thing - 1,2, 9, 12, 14, 15, and 17. I anticipate many in my collection will rate 9.0 and higher. I believe only two from the full collection would rate 7.0 or lower - issues 3 & 4.

Where would I earn the most - Ebay, Comic Link, or Comic Connect?  Would selling as a full collection or as individual pieces generate the highest prices?

Thank you for any guidance any of you could provide.

ATT00001.jpg

Hi.  Nice comics!  I have used eBay and ComicLink for selling, and have also bought from ComicConnect.  Now I sell almost exclusively through MyComicShop.  It's the best place and biggest market, I think, for these books.  You can price them on the exchange, or you can put them in the weekly auction or, for the big books, the quarterly Prime auction. 

Douglas Gillock at ComicLink is fantastic, so if you want to go through ComicLink for HoS #92 or Swamp Thing #1 and (depending on condition) #9, reach out to him about it.  They aren't as broad or as deep at MCS, but they are more specialized, and so tend to get more high-end comics.  Douglas is a great guy and will treat you fair.  Also, they will front the cost of cleaning, pressing, and grading if you want.

To answer your question, selling individually always gets you more.  Most of these, you'll want to get graded first and then sell them.  Perhaps the rest you can sell as a "raw" lot, but don't count on much money there.  Really, the bulk of the money will come from HoS #92.  That's maybe $3000, as compared to maybe $300 on #1, and less on the rest.  (That's assuming a grade of 9.0, which this copy might be.)  But I think you would be okay grading the whole lot and selling them.  If you break even on a few, it's still easier than dealing with selling raws.

FYI, you are sending out for pressing first, right?  Please tell me you are.  It will make a big difference ... the price difference on HoS #92 between a 9.0 and 9.2 is just tremendous.  No matter how well you have kept them these 30 years, or the collector for 20 years before that, there is likely things that can be improved with a good presser.  I routinely use two, and they are both excellent ... Gary Kendra at Impressive Comic Book Pressing, and John Suter at Comic Book Detailing.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Edited by Tedsaid