• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BCW Top Loaders?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hey all! I am trying to find a definitive answer regarding use BCW Top Loaders for OA storage. The are acid-free but I have read some people have concerns about them. I know 4mm molars are also a great option but I am trying to determine what the specific threat (if any) the BCW option presents to OA. 

I’m not familiar with the specifics, but I know they are not ideal for indefinite storage like Mylar is. 

My bigger issue with them is they tend to fit 11x17 art way too tightly. It can be difficult to place and remove the art safely. If I’m spending $500+ on something, I’m not going to hesitate spending the $10 it costs for the guaranteed protection solution of a Mylar and board. 

BCW top loaders are made using PVC, not Mylar, according to its website.

It is not suitable, according to this website Gaylord Archival (which sells archival polyester used in Mylar, and thus, has a vested interest in its sale):

https://www.gaylord.com/resources/understanding-plastics-for-preservation

Understanding Plastics for Preservation

WHICH PLASTIC IS BEST FOR MY NEEDS?

ARCHIVAL POLYESTER:

Archival polyester (PET) is also known by the brand names Melinex and Mylar. It is chemically inert with a high tensile strength and chemical and dimensional stability. It is extremely clear and will never yellow or become cloudy, making it ideal for encapsulation where a detailed view of the covered item is desired. Inherent static electricity helps to keep items from shifting in enclosures but also means that archival polyester should not come in contact with charcoal, pastels or other loose media.

For document storage, you will find envelopes, sleeves, L-sleeves, folders and page protectors made out of archival polyester. In sheets and rolls, it can be used to line wooden shelves as a protective barrier, to make book jacket covers and to cover rolled textiles. This versatile material is chemically inert and therefore will not break down over time, proving it to be an excellent choice for long-term protection of your artifacts.

POLYPROPYLENE:

A chemically inert material that is also heat-resistant and provides a highly protective barrier against moisture and vapors. It is slightly less clear than archival polyester but is clearer and more rigid than polyethylene.

POLYETHYLENE:

A chemically inert material that is highly flexible and easy to work with. It has a filmy appearance but is an economical choice for items that need protection but not complete transparency.

SAY NO TO PVC!

Polyvinyl chloride (aka PVC and vinyl) is a thermoplastic that is widely used to make everything from plumbing pipes to children's toys. It has also been used to make photo storage pages. In order to make PVC more flexible, plasticizers have been added to the compound that should be considered dangerous and damaging to archival materials. These plasticizers will not only release chemical gases into the air, but will cause the breakdown of the material over a surprisingly short period of time. Photo pages will seem "oily" to the touch and will begin to soften and yellow. To protect your photos from damage, say no to PVC and look for polypropylene pages instead.

VIEW AND DOWNLOAD OUR FREE INFOGRAPHIC
"KNOW YOUR ARCHIVAL PLASTICS"

Let me add that I think Itoya's are made with Polypropylene. If what this says is accurate, then storage using them for art, in general, without a mylar sleeve, should be okay. I still wouldn't trust it with really valuable stuff, but I am not a chemist or expert, and could be wrong.

Edited by Rick2you2