• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading my comics now. What does this mean ?

9 posts in this topic

I'll break it down as best I can:

I believe the "Incredible Hulk" refers to the title of the comic you submitted.  He is a a scientist exposed to gamma rays who then becomes exceedingly big and strong when angry (originally just at night), believed by the world to be a monster, but generally is a hero.  The comic originated as just "Hulk" in the 1960's, first written by a man Stan Lee, who also wrote some other comics.  THere was previously a Hulk TV show, and there have been 2 Hulk movies in the past 20 years, and he has been featured prominently in the recent Marvel movies. 

I believe the "180" refers to the actual issue number within the series.  The comics are typically issued sequentially, so Issue 180 fell between Issue 179 and Issue 181.  Actually the Incredible Hulk series changed title names a few times, going from "Hulk", to "Tales to Astonish", then "Incredible Hulk".

I believe the "10/74" refers to what I like to call the "Month" and the "Year" that the comic was originally issued.  In this case the "74" likely refers to  year 1974, which is generally believed to be the number of years since a Middle-Eastern man named Jesus died.  Years are generally considered to be the amount of time the planet earth (which we live on, allegedly) takes to go around the earth.  There are twelve months a year, and the "10" refers to a month called "October", the 10th of 12th months in a given year.

1 hour ago, revat said:

I believe the "Incredible Hulk" refers to the title of the comic you submitted.  He is a a scientist exposed to gamma rays who then becomes exceedingly big and strong when angry (originally just at night), believed by the world to be a monster, but generally is a hero.  The comic originated as just "Hulk" in the 1960's, first written by a man Stan Lee, who also wrote some other comics.  THere was previously a Hulk TV show, and there have been 2 Hulk movies in the past 20 years, and he has been featured prominently in the recent Marvel movies. 

I believe the "180" refers to the actual issue number within the series.  The comics are typically issued sequentially, so Issue 180 fell between Issue 179 and Issue 181.  Actually the Incredible Hulk series changed title names a few times, going from "Hulk", to "Tales to Astonish", then "Incredible Hulk".

I believe the "10/74" refers to what I like to call the "Month" and the "Year" that the comic was originally issued.  In this case the "74" likely refers to  year 1974, which is generally believed to be the number of years since a Middle-Eastern man named Jesus died.  Years are generally considered to be the amount of time the planet earth (which we live on, allegedly) takes to go around the earth.  There are twelve months a year, and the "10" refers to a month called "October", the 10th of 12th months in a given year.

Thanks for your complete and thoughtful explanation. You must be a person everyone would agree is a great guy.

8 hours ago, TheEbner said:

Thanks for your complete and thoughtful explanation. You must be a person everyone would agree is a great guy.

Did you do any basic research or did you just mail your book on a whim and hope it would make it back to you?

That said, there is a helpful website that can answer your questions.  If you go to www.cgccomics.com that's probably a good place to start.

9 hours ago, revat said:

Must be Friday already.

19 hours ago, revat said:

(worship)

Spoiler

My love for this train wreck of a forum knows no bounds

Edited by Jeffro.