• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Counterfeit TMNT 1. Grade is in!
4 4

28 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

how is it counterfeit?

I imagine there is a thread around here somewhere that somewhat gets into the details of this book but basically it has all the right stuff to be a first print (Dover address on inside front cover, Gobbledygook ad on the inside back cover.  But the cover (maybe the entire book?) is counterfeit.  The tell tale signs are the scratching across the back cover and the loss of the crosshatching in Shredder's arm on the front cover.  They have long been know to exist but no one really knows the deal on where they came from or even how many are out there.

2 hours ago, PINWHEEL said:

They are graded on the census unless the policy has changed.

I counted 15 counterfeit copies on the census, and I don't think the policy has changed. They'll just plaster the word "counterfeit" all over the label so there's no mistake about what it is...

On 11/23/2020 at 8:30 PM, Jolthammer1 said:

Wow, I had no idea they would grade counterfeits!

In general, probably not. But there are a handful of specific counterfeit books that are, for various reasons, considered desirable collectibles in and of themselves. Off the top of my head, that includes the TMNT counterfeit and the Cry for Dawn counterfeit. Perhaps others, I'm not sure.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:57 PM, Qalyar said:

In general, probably not. But there are a handful of specific counterfeit books that are, for various reasons, considered desirable collectibles in and of themselves. Off the top of my head, that includes the TMNT counterfeit and the Cry for Dawn counterfeit. Perhaps others, I'm not sure.

Cerebus 1.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:57 PM, Qalyar said:

Is there a counterfeit of Gobbledygook 1 too? 

16 minutes ago, The-Collector said:

Is there a counterfeit of Gobbledygook 1 too? 

CGC only grades Gobbledygook under... weird conditions, as I understand. There certainly ARE counterfeit copies of those books, but there's not the same sort of reasonably well-produced, specifically identifiable counterfeit as plague TMNT, CFD, and Cerebus, especially not one that has its own cachet as a collectible.

12 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I assume this counterfeiting was done back around when the books came out? Or early 90's? 

From my understanding these were done in the mid '80's when the first prints were hot.  There are a couple different counterfeit copies from what I've read.  A lot of them are 2nd and 3rd prints that have had the print info erased or whited out on the inside front cover, I wouldn't consider these counterfeit as they are just altered copies of the reprints.  This one is what appears to be harder to find and actual counterfeit.  It has the Dover address on the inside front cover and the Gobbledygook ad on the inside back cover.  The cover colors are darker and you can see the lack of crosshatching in Shredders arm on the front cover.

It's off for a press and grading so we shall see when it comes back in about 6 months.