• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 CGC 9.4!!!!
6 6

851 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:
1 hour ago, manetteska said:

More of a general question, but on huge keys like this (not saying this one in particular), who do you think is used for pressing?

On my $500 golden age comics I'm concerned about sending them out and having additional damage done b/c the thing is 70-80 years old.

2020 is a game changer as we all have extra time to think, collect, and watch the comic book auction market explode..  and that is the issue.. the risk of damaging vs improving... and catching the market just at the right time to sell or trade up.   
my advice on the pressing is this... if you are gonna press and flip...now..  I would do from a  monetary standpoint. If these are your permanent collection books I would leave unrestored or the fancy way to say conserved  ... oops that not it... sad state of affairs.

To my original question: perhaps Susan?

On my own comics, I would like to have some of them graded for protection and as a restoration check. It's easy for a GA comic to be additionally scuffed/chipped/etc going in and out of bags -- especially those hard plastic "bags". Also, if I am having them graded, I would want to do any pressing before to avoid double-grading costs in the event I do sell down the line.

15 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

that is a great question....apparently so...it seems more and more that  grading standards are being lowered and more modification of the GA/SA books which in turn leads to regrade and resub and regrade and resub and while that generates additional fees to the CGC and higher auction results, this "game" long term hurts the true GA/SA long term collector/investor with no assurance that some 8.5 copy is gonna come up to your 9.0 level at anytime. I would really like an answer to staple cleanng...that seems to be conserving 

Do we know for sure this book has rusted staples today , I'm not clear on this .... but what about just plain staple replacement with nice non-rusted vintage staples ? I had a high-end GA book purchased raw several years ago, and Matt identified  non-vintage staples on it and replaced with vintage, and it got a blue 9.0 .....

Edited by fishbone

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

I will say in this last month i have gotten an e-mail almost everyday from CGC and the other company. I don't read them anymore but never have i got so many e-mails so

1- Business is slow

2 Business is slow so resub your $$$ books for a fee

3 I will say makes me want to Resub my Tec 1 and 27 my Batman 1 from pgx to cgc don't know what the cost is or if its worth changing since they are Restored and the grades match my grades and nobody cares on restored book's (shrug)

nobody cares on restored books !?  :whatthe: really ?   when they are those 3 books, I would think a LOT of people care, just to own one complete in any form must be a dream for most .......

4 hours ago, ChasingKingKirby said:

Not I.  I'm a low-grade key collector, but I still think long and hard about books with rusty staples.   Honestly, it's better to just have the staples removed to save the paper.  I had an All Winners 1 that had staples removed and was still slabbed blue label.  At some point, it needs to be about preserving the book.  

This is another intersection where logic diverges.  Because cleaning something is "restoration!"  and removing it is not, so better to discard and destroy a part of the book than to see the entire book labelled as desecrated?  

15 minutes ago, fishbone said:

nobody cares on restored books !?  :whatthe: really ?   when they are those 3 books, I would think a LOT of people care, just to own one complete in any form must be a dream for most .......

On books that are listed as unrestored getting them graded by cgc is a must... I think when it comes to Restored book's ANY Restored book's if the other 2 grading company grade your restored book or cgc it's not that big of a difference since the books are Restored.

1 does it really make a big difference having a Detective 27 graded 4.5  Restored by the other 2 or a 3.5 by cgc ? or Batman 1 8.5 other company or 7.5 cgc ? I say No but that is just me.

2 the grading fee for my Tec 1 and 27 and Batman 1 was 700. for books i wanted to sell at the time vs 5 X more the other way.

4 minutes ago, bluechip said:

This is another intersection where logic diverges.  Because cleaning something is "restoration!"  and removing it is not, so better to discard and destroy a part of the book than to see the entire book labelled as desecrated?  

Removing the staple to clean rust and save book should NOT be Restoration they do the same when they press and dry clean but its ok :screwy:

1 minute ago, woowoo said:

On books that are listed as unrestored getting them graded by cgc is a must... I think when it comes to Restored book's ANY Restored book's if the other 2 grading company grade your restored book or cgc it's not that big of a difference since the books are Restored.

1 does it really make a big difference having a Detective 27 graded 4.5  Restored by the other 2 or a 3.5 by cgc ? or Batman 1 8.5 other company or 7.5 cgc ? I say No but that is just me.

2 the grading fee for my Tec 1 and 27 and Batman 1 was 700. for books i wanted to sell at the time vs 5 X more the other way.

oh, I see your point, ok ... you meant no one cares about whether the 3 grail restored  are CGC, CBCS, or PGX ........  not sure I agree, but yes it would depend on the $$$ to re-slab a CBCS or PGX to a CGC slab ...........

28 minutes ago, fishbone said:

oh, I see your point, ok ... you meant no one cares about whether the 3 grail restored  are CGC, CBCS, or PGX ........  not sure I agree, but yes it would depend on the $$$ to re-slab a CBCS or PGX to a CGC slab ...........

Yes they do care agree. I just don't know how to word it right. ( lack of alcohol ) but like you said just to have a Tec 27 is great so are you going to say no to buying 1 just cause its not cgc graded 

Edited by woowoo

9 minutes ago, fishbone said:

I’d definitely Reslab the PGX. CBCS or cgc are equal imo in terms of expertise. 

12 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

If you wanted to sell your Tec 27 coverless cause you needed money to buy something better FAST.

1 sell raw No grading fees and all money to you.

2 send to pgx under 500 and that digs into your total.

3 send to cgc 2.5 % or whatever total they charge of value.

Someone who wanted money fast and i got it done in 1 day with little fees was the way i went.

I wish they where cgc graded and yes if i could find a way to do this without sending Tec 1 and 27 with Batman 1 in the mail I would but cant afford if they got lost.

Edited by woowoo

16 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I have been doing this for over 40 years with Mega key books so i dont need any of them to grade my books................ BUT when i buy unrestored books they better be CGC graded :baiting:

6 minutes ago, woowoo said:

If you wanted to sell your Tec 27 coverless cause you needed money to buy something better FAST.

1 sell raw No grading fees and all money to you.

2 send to pgx under 500 and that digs into your total.

3 send to cgc 2.5 % or whatever total they charge of value.

Someone who wanted money fast and i got it done in 1 day with little fees was the way i went.

I wish they where cgc graded and yes if i could find a way to do this without sending Tec 1 and 27 with Batman 1 in the mail I would but cant afford if they got lost.

the diff is many won't buy a pgx (me included) but I would buy a cgc for way more than a pgx would get...since you don't need cash fast, but at some future point will sell, send to cgc now and get it over with...2.5% of todays' fmv cheaper than 2.5% of tomorrows fmv...pgx will sell 10% less or more, so well worth the 2.5%

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

the diff is many won't buy a pgx (me included) but I would buy a cgc for way more than a pgx would get...since you don't need cash fast, but at some future point will sell, send to cgc now and get it over with...2.5% of todays' fmv cheaper than 2.5% of tomorrows fmv...pgx will sell 10% less or more, so well worth the 2.5%

I will second that I will buy NO PGX book period.

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

I disagree. If i wanted to buy a Mega key i would go after the pgx cause i would think it would be cheaper than i would over pay at auction lol

I disagree. If i wanted to buy a Mega key i would go after the pgx cause i would think it would be cheaper than i would over pay at auction lol

You always get what you pay for....if you have read the horror stories....Please use CGC, in fact I would break open the book prior to sale and do a page count....etc

Edited by Mmehdy

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

I will second that I will buy NO PGX book period.

Even a Tec 27 that you might get cheap cause it's pgx graded ?. If you still would not buy than that's cause you have had a few Mega keys from 20 plus years ago :devil:

I wouldn't ever again...I bought a superman 1 pgx...the back cover was a repro...huge $ loss...big mistake buying pgx

4 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Even a Tec 27 that you might get cheap cause it's pgx graded ?. If you still would not buy than that's cause you have had a few Mega keys from 20 plus years ago :devil:

If the seller will allow you to break open the case, carefully look at the book, THEN ALLOWS YOU to submit it to CGC...yea maybe then....AND ONLY THEN...

Edited by Mmehdy

5 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I wouldn't ever again...I bought a superman 1 pgx...the back cover was a repro...huge $ loss...big mistake buying pgx

Married centerfolds, etc etc....not the only one on the planet here who has lost $$$$, CGC is a no brainer on this...worth every penny...yea it costs more...FOR A REASON.

Edited by Mmehdy