• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weekly Heritage Auction with Toy Box Art

6 posts in this topic

I hope a few of you are following this week's auction. Several of the lots are mine, including this nifty Jughead #59 cover.

But what I really want to talk about is the Blue Thunder helicopter toy art. This piece has been with my family since its rendering, about 40 years ago. I'm not a toy collector so when I gave Heritage some comic art, I threw this on the pile. With the current bidding at $12, I think that might have been a mistake.I don't profess to know the market, but that seems cheap to me.

If you can find the toy w/box on ebay, you're spending over $500, so I have to believe this lot isn't finding its audience. Or maybe it really isn't worth more than $50. What do I know?

If any kind-hearted boardie knows where toy art collectors congregate, feel free to pass this post along. Maybe one of them can appreciate this.

Edited by DJRome

19 hours ago, DJRome said:

If you can find the toy w/box on ebay, you're spending over $500, so I have to believe this lot isn't finding its audience. Or maybe it really isn't worth more than $50. What do I know?

If any kind-hearted boardie knows where toy art collectors congregate, feel free to pass this post along. Maybe one of them can appreciate this.

Best of luck with the final hammer tonight, but I'm guessing that the bolded may be at play here.  I suspect that this is one of those things where there's a small number/narrow pool of collectors, but very deep interest with the right crowd.  So, this might be a grail piece for a small handful of people, but it's a matter of getting the right eyes looking at it.  It's possibly the sort of thing that might've done better sitting as a buy-it-now on ebay for a few months, waiting to the right person to come across the listing. 

I know a guy who used to collect illustration art from model cars and planes (50s/60s era kits), and will try to shoot him a message in case he knows anyone with crossover interest here.