• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X MEN 1
2 2

27 posts in this topic

First off, if you own this book, congratulations! I hate going first because I'm not that good of grader. As is maybe a 5.0? C&P improvement? I didn't zoom into the photos, but I really only noticed the front cover, bottom right that might benefit from a press. Cleaning mainly removes dirt/grime (fingerprints), right? Front cover looks to be mostly stains that I don't think a cleaning would help. Back cover might get some improvement. Increase with a C&P. Maybe a .5 improvement? But with a book this expensive I think the only mistake with a C&P is not getting it done.

I'm up in the 7.5 possible 8.0 range particularly given the age of the book. No checks on the spine at all with reasonable corners.  Great color and sheen. The decay on the far right of the cover brings it down substantially.  I can only surmise it was stored with out a backing board for a long time. If the right hand cover was better, it would be an 8-0-8.5 ( but it isn't) 

7.5-8.0 based on eyeballing other early SA books in that range with similarly nice spine, edges and corners (except top left front, which appears to be missing a piece), and allowable printer-related issues.   Assuming you press though, to address that creasing/dimpling lower right front cover.  Nice book!   

Edited by Pantodude

I don't think I've ever seen such a discrepancy on grading here. I, and others, are in the 5.0-5.5 camp. Others 7.0-8.0. One 6.5 I think. Not a lot of middle ground. Would be great to see what it would get CGC slabbed at.

It's funny actually. I'm thinking no way it comes close to a 7.0. Others it's a 7.0 "all day long" and I'm sure they are thinking no way it's a 5.0-5.5.

Edited by WPPJames

Having it pressed and cleaned, has not gotten to the presser yet. I'd like to hear more opinions and how you came to them. I thought starting this thread would put my mind at ease a bit. I let go of a monster in a trade for this, thought I'd gamble a bit.

6 minutes ago, Flamesfan1982 said:

Having it pressed and cleaned, has not gotten to the presser yet. I'd like to hear more opinions and how you came to them. I thought starting this thread would put my mind at ease a bit. I let go of a monster in a trade for this, thought I'd gamble a bit.

I'm no expert. I take a guess as to not be initially swayed and then look at examples on-line to see if I was close. If so, I will post a grade. Otherwise I usually don't post. Probably the best way to compare is with books already CGC graded. But it's sometimes difficult to get a really good look thru the slab. I will look at sites like https://www.superworldcomics.com/buying/grading-your-comic-books/ and others that have more examples. But who's to say they are right and CGC would have the same opinion.

I don't participate in grading anything I haven't owned and I compare so many to the AF15 I had which was a 5.0. I also had an ASM 16 graded at 9.2. So i look to those books and the hundreds I owned which were never slabbed but were really nice. So, When I look at this book, the major flaw is the deterioration occurring on the right hand  cover.  I suspect it was stored poorly. The paper seems to actually be disintegrating and I have that on a JIM 84 here This  however is really good. The spine is great, the color vibrant. no real color breaks at all. It's significantly nicer that the AF15 was and would be higher in my mind if not for the right hand side. CGC tends to be more forgiving of older books and this is an older book. 5.0, 5.5 makes little sense to me. I'm still up in the 7.0+ range.  I'll be interested in the CGC grade.