• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-men 101

22 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, WPPJames said:

Because I don't think a press will fix a lot of those defects, I'm saying 6.0.

I’ve spoken to some pressers and they say it shouldn’t be a problem to flatten it out. Assuming it does flatten out, would that improve your estimate?

9 minutes ago, Leafsno1 said:

I’ve spoken to some pressers and they say it shouldn’t be a problem to flatten it out. Assuming it does flatten out, would that improve your estimate?

Most definitely. But I don't have a lot of experience with pressing so I couldn't say how much. Hopefully people with more knowledge will chime in here.

3 hours ago, Carpendaddy said:

After a press, 7.0-7.5. Some color-breaking might appear in the spine upon pressing. If so, 6.5ish.

Yah it already shows color breaks there, are you saying the breaking might become worse if pressed?

3 hours ago, Leafsno1 said:

Yah it already shows color breaks there, are you saying the breaking might become worse if pressed?

It’s definitely possible if it’s pressed before putting in a humidity chamber. It really matters on how long it was left with that bad bend. I don’t see a press getting it 100% clean, honestly. The breaking may get slightly worse, it might still have a slight tic there, not sure. I would still get it pressed, though. 

7 hours ago, Leafsno1 said:

Flattening, a press that this book is crying out in the wilderness for, isn't the sole issue. There are color-breaking fractures where the bends are that can't be mitigated by a press. The bend can be remedied, but not the color-breaking fractures already inherent in its un-pressed current condition. 

6 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Flattening, a press that this book is crying out in the wilderness for, isn't the sole issue. There are color-breaking fractures where the bends are that can't be mitigated by a press. The bend can be remedied, but not the color-breaking fractures already inherent in its un-pressed current condition. 

Well yah James, I understand what pressing does an I’m aware that it won’t magically mend a color break. I am wondering what it would grade if it were to be pressed flat with the colour break there, plus the other defects.

7 hours ago, Carpendaddy said:

It’s definitely possible if it’s pressed before putting in a humidity chamber. It really matters on how long it was left with that bad bend. I don’t see a press getting it 100% clean, honestly. The breaking may get slightly worse, it might still have a slight tic there, not sure. I would still get it pressed, though. 

Hmm yah, I will have to find a really experienced guy for this one 

13 hours ago, Carpendaddy said:

Humidity chamber? Wow. I know even less about pressing that I thought. I have a roughly $50 book I was going to get pressed by the local comic store than only charges $7. I may want to reconsider that.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:06 AM, WPPJames said:

Because I don't think a press will fix a lot of those defects, I'm saying 6.0.

If you are talking about the color breaks...absolutely. If he is looking to remove the dirt, bends and creases a proper press will remove all of them. 

The key is using someone competent.  

36 minutes ago, joeypost said:

If you are talking about the color breaks...absolutely. If he is looking to remove the dirt, bends and creases a proper press will remove all of them. 

The key is using someone competent.  

I’m with you Joey, care to take a guess at grade if a proper press is applied?

1 hour ago, WPPJames said:

Humidity chamber? Wow. I know even less about pressing that I thought. I have a roughly $50 book I was going to get pressed by the local comic store than only charges $7. I may want to reconsider that.

Humidity chambers are not always necessary and require a much longer and more specific process. Consult the presser and see what they think, though for a $50 book, it’s a more limited upside going that route

33 minutes ago, Leafsno1 said:

Humidity chambers are not always necessary and require a much longer and more specific process. Consult the presser and see what they think, though for a $50 book, it’s a more limited upside going that route

The book being properly hydrated is just as important as the skill of the one pressing the book. 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

The book being properly hydrated is just as important as the skill of the one pressing the book. 

I'm guessing misting it with a water bottle before I take it into my $7 presser will not provide the same result.

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

What a weird bend to this book. I think even after pressing, that 7.0-7.5 would be the high side. Not too shabby either way tho. 

Most likely the way it was stored.  

3 hours ago, Leafsno1 said:

I’m with you Joey, care to take a guess at grade if a proper press is applied?

A book like this will show marked improvement if done properly. 

Here I see that a press will not fix.

Bottom corners of the front cover are soft ad have some associated color loss. 

Outside edge has a little wear. 

Where the heavy part of the bend is affecting the front cover, there is stress that breaks color. 

Assuming the rest of the book comes out the way I think it will, you should be in the VF- or better range. Again, all depends on the experience of the person pressing.