• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

With the questions about the Anti-Life Equation and how Darkseid forgot about where his first battle occurred..

In the DCEU, the Anti-Life Equation is one of the most powerful forces one can wield. Whoever speaks the Equation possesses domination of those who hear it, breaking their spirits in the process. But for being such a powerful weapon, Snyder provides no context as to how it ended up carved onto the Earth's surface. But the reason for that is simple — that question was supposed to be answered in the since-abandoned Justice League trilogy.

The Anti-Life Equation was presented in a different manner in the comics. Instead of being carved into the Earth, parts of it were figuratively carved into various people's minds. The Equation existed in the mind of "Billion Dollar" Bates, a villainous and grossly wealthy businessman who used the Equation to subvert the will of his competitors. While Bates took it to his death, part of the equation was also found to exist within the mind of Japanese warrior Sonny Sumo. Darkseid eventually used clones of Billion Dollar Bates to access the Equation. Orion, the heroic son of Darkseid, eventually took the equation out of his father's hands.

Showing an equation within someone's mind would have been understandably difficult to translate to the screen, but carving it onto the surface of the Earth was a good film-friendly introduction for the Anti-Life Equation. Each hero in Justice League lives on Earth, positioning the Equation as a threat against their planet was a great way to bring them together. But unfortunately, fans will likely never see how the Justice League's fight against Anti-Life Equation plays out. Snyder had always intended this movie to launch a Justice League trilogy. He intentionally did not provide some answers about the Anti-Life Equation in the first film, as that was meant to be answered in a later movie. While things could always change, Snyder has stated that Warner Bros. has no interest in making Justice League 2 happen. Unfortunately, that likely means audiences will always be left wondering who carved the Anti-Life Equation onto Earth in Zack Snyder's Justice League.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Ray Fisher is receiving loads of praise from many fans of the film. And all walks of life.

I really didn't like his performance in the theatrical, but he was definitely better in this version. Not just as a result of having more to do, I think. Even basically the same scenes translated better, although I still would've liked a peppier, more Cartoon Network version (which just isn't Snyder's vision of the character, so whatever).

Justice League’s Snyder Cut is getting a Justice is Gray edition on HBO Max. The platform put out a trailer for the black and white version of the director’s wildly-popular film. For those wondering, the theatrical cut, this week’s HBO Max release, and this greyscale effort bring the count to three. But, there are reportedly even more cuts of the film that Snyder has in his possession. For the most ardent fans, the black and white version of this one is sought after because it contains things like more of Jared Leto’s Joker. People might have noticed that the “we live in a society” drop was actually not in the completed Snyder Cut. However, the director told Wonder Meg that the small moment between Leto’s character and Ben Affleck’s Batman would be making its way to the Justice is Gray edition of the film.

"The day is finally here, I wanted to say thanks to all the fans again," Snyder shared. "Seeing your messages and your response to the film made it all worth it. For those of you who stayed up all night in the U.S. to watch, and to fans getting up early to watch in Europe and Asia, I heard that we might have overloaded a few of the platforms with your interest. That truly means the world to me. We’re working on that, so stay tuned. You guys are the best and thanks again."

Zack Snyder was a guest on CinemaBlend’s official podcast, ReelBlend, where he talked at length about the making of the movie, the meanings of certain scenes, and the conversations that happened during the final stretch of delivering Justice League to HBO Max. Snyder told hosts Sean O’Connell, Jake Hamilton and Kevin McCarthy about certain “rules.” Snyder was opening up about the additional photography that he tackled which led to the Knightmare scene featuring Joker (Jared Leto), Mera (Amber Heard) and Deathstroke (Joe Manganiello). As Snyder explained:

"I'll just be frank. The studio didn't want me to shoot anything (new). One of the rules of making the Snyder Cut was that the studio said no shooting of any kind. And then I just, of course, shot stuff anyway. Because suddenly, wait, there’s rules now on this? I didn't know. (laughs) That seems unfair. It's called Snyder Cut. And frankly there are those caveats because there were a lot of things -- and I won't list them here -- that the studio did not want me to have in my version of the movie. And I think, frankly, that was all just because they have their own cinematic universe, and that's great. And they were afraid that what I did might… because they consider the theatrical cut as canon, and my cut as the Elseworld, other kind of cul-de-sac. We know the terms."

Finished it last night (a Friday/Saturday night split 😁) and it was epic! So much better than the 2017 POS version ....... and I am really really hoping there is a sequel.

No spoilers - so no details - but Wonder Woman is great in this film and the score they use for her is so incredible (love it every time I hear it).

Cyborg is so much better now that he actually has a role (imagine that).

Really well done and so glad fans got to see this ......... do the right thing WB and let him finish his trilogy ......... please 🙏🤞🙏

Wife was out of town for the night due to a wedding shower and wouldn't be interested in a 4 hr JL movie, so I signed up for HBO Max figuring I can at least get 1 months worth with that, WW84 & Godzilla  (not that there isn't plenty to watch - just not enough free time)

Anyway what a diff between it and the theatrical version.  I'd be hard pressed to cut 2 hours out of this one for another theatrical version.  I'm glad the dopey stuff was cut out (like the trapped russian family).  Steppenwolf was a better villian now  and of course Cyborg was greatly improved