• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

I've been listening to the score whilst at work as it was one of the things that I had high hopes for but didn't fully pick up on whilst watching it first time round.

It didn't quite grab me in the way Man of Steel did for example, but like with BvS it is coming through better when I listen to it in full, picking up on the new cues from certain scenes but also the callbacks to the previous films. Hearing the MOS theme worked in is so satisfying! And the actual JL theme has grown on me now.

WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff says that the release of “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” will complete the director’s superhero trilogy, reinforcing the studio’s desire to move past the social media campaign to hand back control of the DC film universe to the filmmaker.

Instead, Sarnoff believes that the future of DC is more than just movies. She’s excited about a multi-platform future, one that sees Batman, Superman, the Flash, and other Justice League members popping up on streaming shows, video games, television spinoffs, and big screen outings. It’s a vision that echoes what Marvel has been doing with its Avengers characters, taking superheroes like the Vision, Hawkeye and Loki, who have previously appeared only in movies, and giving them streaming shows of their own. The WarnerMedia Studios chief is also excited about the diverse range of creators she’s been enlisting to tell some of these stories, which includes tapping “Between the World and Me” author Ta-Nehisi Coates to write a Superman film or developing “Blue Beetle,” which marks the company’s first Latinx superhero movie.

But Sarnoff may have to deal with an unruly and emboldened fanbase, one that successfully pushed WarnerMedia to release a four-hour, R-rated version of “Justice League,” which was truer to Snyder’s darker vision for the characters. Sarnoff spoke to Variety on Sunday, five days after the Snyder Cut started streaming on HBO Max, about catering to DC’s fanbase, the future of DC, and actor Ray Fisher’s allegations of misconduct and racial bias during the shooting of “Justice League.”

Why did you decide to release the “Zack Snyder’s Justice League”?

We wanted to give Zack the opportunity to complete his vision in a four-hour movie, which is impossible to do in theaters. We’re happy that we have HBO Max to let the rope out as it were and allow the fans to see all four-hours of Zack’s vision.

What are your plans going forward for DC?

We’ve got an incredible group of creators — television series creators, Max series creators, feature film creators — who are basically broadening the base of the talent that we work with on DC because we’re so excited about the potential to build out the DC multiverse. It’s one of the reasons why I was hired almost two years ago. The before-and-after was it was a very siloed organization with no connectivity between the businesses. DC was being developed, but in a kind of monolithic way in each division. My mantra coming in was to make it bigger and broader and we really want to surprise and delight the fans with more connective tissue across the various media and platforms. I’m talking movies, HBO Max, television and our games division.

The Snyder Cut came about because of a fan campaign online. Do you feel like you need to strike a balance between being responsive to fans and charting your own course as a company? How responsive do you believe DC should be?

We’re always going to listen to our fans, but we are in service of the broadest fanbase and we owe them an integrated, holistic strategy. We are the shepherds of the franchise and hopefully when the fans see what we’ve got in store they’ll know that DC is in good hands across many different platforms with many different creators. We want different voices in the mix. For certain fans that want singular voices, they may be disappointed, but we would ask them to be patient and see what we’ve got in store because perhaps the newer voices in the mix will have just as compelling stories to tell. On balance, you of course want to listen to your fans, but we do want to stay true to our vision and our mission for DC and build that out.

We have weekly meetings with our key execs in every division. Last August, I was made head of studios and networks and I now have all of the creative groups underneath me, so now around that table it’s not just Warner Bros. film, Warner Bros. television, and Warner Bros. games, but it includes HBO and HBO Max and the Turner networks, Adult Swim, and the Kids and Family networks. We are involving all of those people in our plans going forward and that means the media is going to be more connected, sometimes in subtle ways and sometimes in more overt ways. Like opposite “The Suicide Squad” we’re spinning out “Peacemaker” with James Gunn and Jon Cena passionately developing that for HBO Max. It’s my job to make sure we super serve our fans across all demos and all fanbases.

The campaign for #ReleaseTheSnyderCut has moved into a new phase. It’s now #RestoreTheSnyderVerse. What’s your reaction to this new campaign?

I appreciate that they love Zack’s work and we are very thankful for his many contributions to DC. We’re just so happy that he could bring his cut of the “Justice League” to life because that wasn’t in the plan until about a year ago. With that comes the completion of his trilogy. We’re very happy we’ve done this, but we’re very excited about the plans we have for all the multi-dimensional DC characters that are being developed right now.

Will there be more of these director’s cuts? Will we see David Ayer’s cut of “Suicide Squad”?

We won’t be developing David Ayer’s cut.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I have a feeling some egos are going to get stomped for the sake of maintaining streaming subscriptions

This would be hilarious:

Despite mandating the completion of Zack Snyder's Justice League, AT&T doesn't fuel any sequel gas. So, a huge and rich Snyderverse fan (let's pretend, Elon Musk) buys AT&T and forces Warner to complete Snyder's vision.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

oy vey. make good movies and once covid is over you will make money on them. what did the snyder cut show them? they could have made this into TWO movies rather than trying to jam everything in. good lordy, marvel hasn't lost money on a movie in decades, have they?

31 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

This would be hilarious:

Despite mandating the completion of Zack Snyder's Justice League, AT&T doesn't fuel any sequel gas. So, a huge and rich Snyderverse fan (let's pretend, Elon Musk) buys AT&T and forces Warner to complete Snyder's vision.

seriously. marvel has frigging timelines and charts and fans eagerly awaiting the next thing. DC had some hiccups and is giving up. never mind joker cost $55 million and grossed over a billion. they should definitely give up on movies.

snyder cut was a lot better. I certainly didn't walk away thinking this was a bad movie. the last 45 minutes or so were really dark... as in hard to see on my TV... like the GOT episode everyone complained about. it was a little rough watching it, particularly at 2:30 a.m.

and the martian manhunter stuff, although i'm happy to see him, was weird. they could have used him before superman was resurrected.

i found the first version so forgettable it was hard to remember what is new. other than the fight scenes, it feels like a lot of this is new.

i did find an interesting reference .. this world has "no lanterns and no kryptonians"

does this mean Darkseid has also held off attacking other multiverse earths because they have kryptonians? are there other kryptonians on other planets (not versions of earth) with the right suns who also protect them? i am not familiar enough with everything darkseid to know this.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

snyder cut was a lot better. I certainly didn't walk away thinking this was a bad movie. the last 45 minutes or so were really dark... as in hard to see on my TV... like the GOT episode everyone complained about. it was a little rough watching it, particularly at 2:30 a.m.

and the martian manhunter stuff, although i'm happy to see him, was weird. they could have used him before superman was resurrected.

i found the first version so forgettable it was hard to remember what is new. other than the fight scenes, it feels like a lot of this is new.

i did find an interesting reference .. this world has "no lanterns and no kryptonians"

does this mean Darkseid has also held off attacking other multiverse earths because they have kryptonians? are there other kryptonians on other planets (not versions of earth) with the right suns who also protect them? i am not familiar enough with everything darkseid to know this.

RE: Martian Manhunter. Batman doesn't know that he exists. He knows about Arthur, Barry, and Victor because of Lex Luthor and Amanda Waller.

Edited by Angel of Death

29 minutes ago, the blob said:

oy vey. make good movies and once covid is over you will make money on them. what did the snyder cut show them? they could have made this into TWO movies rather than trying to jam everything in. good lordy, marvel hasn't lost money on a movie in decades, have they?

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

seriously. marvel has frigging timelines and charts and fans eagerly awaiting the next thing. DC had some hiccups and is giving up. never mind joker cost $55 million and grossed over a billion. they should definitely give up on movies.

Part of the Marvel Magic for sure is rather than rolling its comic book properties under a movie studio that allows any producers to take on properties you have a diehard comic book fan driving the train and he gets to work across their TV, streaming and film resources to deliver on his roadmap and business plans.

WB Pictures treats the DC properties as just another portfolio of properties these producers can decide if they want to move forward with. Along with Walter Hamada leading the movie division. So you don't always have a link between these properties other than recently with the DCEU Flash meeting the Arrowverse Flash, which opened up Multiverse doors. But then you still have general studio executives at the top of the house selected what moves forward.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Part of the Marvel Magic for sure is rather than rolling its comic book properties under a movie studio that allows any producers to take on properties you have a diehard comic book fan driving the train and he gets to work across their TV, streaming and film resources to deliver on his roadmap and business plans.

WB Pictures treats the DC properties as just another portfolio of properties these producers can decide if they want to move forward with. Along with Walter Hamada leading the movie division. So you don't always have a link between these properties other than recently with the DCEU Flash meeting the Arrowverse Flash, which opened up Multiverse doors. But then you still have general studio executives at the top of the house selected what moves forward.

seriously, marvel makes money on ant man. ant man!!!! they're going to have THREE ant man movies. this is a character that could never survive in his own title. but three frigging movies?? (yes, they are very well cast and, heck, even my wife was willing to watch them and she hates super hero movies other than wonder woman)