• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, RickSp said:

I wonder if that moment will ever see the light of day, even just to know what the scene was about. A set up for the GL corps I presume or a reason as to where they were during the events of JL.

6 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I like this rendering. Do we know why WB wanted it removed? Perhaps because they intend to relaunch the brand, and don't want to be pigeon holed into using Carr...or have that inconsistency out there...

Supposedly it was actually filmed as the scene with Bruce Wayne at the lake which then was switched out to further reveal Martian Manhunter (who was only supposed to have that tiny Martha Kent reveal).

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Supposedly it was actually filmed as the scene with Bruce Wayne at the lake which then was switched out to further reveal Martian Manhunter (who was only supposed to have that tiny Martha Kent reveal).

I read somewhere that after WB nixxed John Stewart, Snyder had to call back Diane Lane to film that reveal in the hallway outside Lois Lane's apartment.  Thinking about it, having Martian Manhunter conversing with Lois like that doesn't really make sense, as Lois could follow-up later on her conversation with "Martha" and blow his cover.  So I think that business with the Martha Kent reveal was a last minute retrofit to make the final epilogue scene work better.

58 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I read somewhere that after WB nixxed John Stewart, Snyder had to call back Diane Lane to film that reveal in the hallway outside Lois Lane's apartment.  Thinking about it, having Martian Manhunter conversing with Lois like that doesn't really make sense, as Lois could follow-up later on her conversation with "Martha" and blow his cover.  So I think that business with the Martha Kent reveal was a last minute retrofit to make the final epilogue scene work better.

Don't fall for the false stories that pop up from sites like Cosmic Book News and We Got This Covered.

(October 2019) Justice League: Storyboard Reveals Martian Manhunter Was In Snyder Cut

Back in October 5th, 2019 Snyder was already showing the storyboard of the scene he had filmed between Martha and Lois (1 month before the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut compaign that led to WB caving in after November 18, 2019) where the Martian Manhunter turns out to be Martha in disguise. WB hadn't even agreed to the production budget to finish the film effects and 5 minutes of reshoots. All he had to do is finish the hallway reveal.

ZSJL_MM01.thumb.jpg.1546936929128537a5e3010d1cff85f5.jpg

ZSJL_MM02.thumb.jpg.e6b6db495a1dd01c23ac5220450319d8.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

Hmm, okay.  Here is the Snyder quote that had me adding up 1 + 1 to equal 3,  I guess

Zack Snyder says it was "really weird" directing new bits for the Snyder Cut over Zoom, which allowed the filmmaker to complete Zack Snyder's Justice League amid the coronavirus pandemic... After Martha Kent (Diane Lane) and Lois Lane (Amy Adams) grieve for Superman (Henry Cavill), "Martha" shapeshifts into the red-eyed Martian Manhunter — the green-skinned true form of Calvin Swanwick (Harry Lennix).

"We had to do it over Zoom because [Miller's] in England and I couldn’t travel, so we just did it over Zoom. I only needed a couple of shots of him, but that was pretty crazy," Snyder told Pop Culture Weekly with Kyle McMahon. "I'd never done that. I did Diane Lane the same way for her little [bit], where she comes out and does her Martian Manhunter cameo. That shot where she comes out the door and looks around, that shot we didn't have, so I had to get that."

I'll have to watch it again, but what would be the in-story explanation for J'onn posing as Martha to have that conversation with Lois? Especially since he runs the risk of blowing his cover when the real Martha and Lois get together later and compare notes?  hm

21 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Hmm, okay.  Here is the Snyder quote that had me adding up 1 + 1 to equal 3,  I guess

All that confirms is he closed the loop on what he stated in October 2019 that he had filmed everything but the Harry Lennix hallway scene, which he did over Zoom.

See what I mean when you put all the pieces together?

21 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I'll have to watch it again, but what would be the in-story explanation for J'onn posing as Martha to have that conversation with Lois? Especially since he runs the risk of blowing his cover when the real Martha and Lois get together later and compare notes?  hm

Kal-El having sacrificed himself as a true alien to this world brought J'onn around in his thinking hiding in plain sight on a home he adopted was not the honorable path. So to honor his sacrifice, he appeared to Lois to bring her back to participating in life. This was before Chapter 5 when the Justice League brings Superman back to life.

Now he realized there is a larger threat with Darkseid coming to Earth for the Anti-Life Equation, he goes a step further and reveals himself to Bruce Wayne. Now wanting active involvement in protecting Earth.

20 hours ago, Zonker said:

Based on the events that transpired after the Martha Manhunter conversation, it doesn't seem like something that would be revisited. The Kents get the farm back, and Lois has her world back.

7 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Based on the events that transpired after the Martha Manhunter conversation, it doesn't seem like something that would be revisited. The Kents get the farm back, and Lois has her world back.

I re-watched that Martha Manhunter (ha!) scene, and I guess I buy it from a narrative point of view.  J'onn wants to get Lois back on her feet ("The world needs you too, Lois"), so he gives her a nudge as Martha.  We don't really know the extent of the Martian powers in the Snyderverse, so maybe precognition is one of them.  Or maybe he's been having dreams similar to Bruce Wayne.  In any event, J'onn is somehow aware Lois needs to be out and about before Superman is resurrected, in order to calm him down from his rampage.  And in general we know that in Snyder's framework, Lois is a key figure in what was to have come next.

12 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I re-watched that Martha Manhunter (ha!) scene, and I guess I buy it from a narrative point of view.  J'onn wants to get Lois back on her feet ("The world needs you too, Lois"), so he gives her a nudge as Martha.  We don't really know the extent of the Martian powers in the Snyderverse, so maybe precognition is one of them.  Or maybe he's been having dreams similar to Bruce Wayne.  In any event, J'onn is somehow aware Lois needs to be out and about before Superman is resurrected, in order to calm him down from his rampage.  And in general we know that in Snyder's framework, Lois is a key figure in what was to have come next.

emotion01.gif.fbba7ceab2ff00a0a3c7c873a4e9eeb5.gif

14 hours ago, Zonker said:

General Swanwick has a sort of professional relationship with Lois, too. I think it's safe to assume that he's a telepath, so that could play a part in his motivation.

With the Anti-Life Equation, Zack Snyder's Justice League avoids a problem the MCU is yet to truly figure out. For as long as humans have been telling stories about outer space, the science fiction genre has faced a conundrum. Being the egotistical creatures we are, so many works of fiction depict Earth as the most important place in all the universe, for no reason other than narrative convenience. Doctor Who is a classic example; the (former) Gallifreyan has the entirety of time and space to choose from, but can often be found troubling modern day Earth. The real reason, of course, is so that writers can incorporate our own familiar world with the fantastical and alien. From an in-universe perspective, however, the relative importance Earth in the grand scheme of all existence makes little sense.

The MCU is also guilty of this trope. The Infinity saga sees Thanos on a quest to collect the six Infinity Stones - brightly colored gems scattered across the universe at the dawn of time. Despite their grandiose origin, a grand total of three Infinity Stones take residence on Earth during the MCU's present day - the Tesseract in SHIELD's possession, the Sorcerer Supreme's Eye of Agamotto, and Loki's scepter. The odds of one Infinity Stone finding its way to our blue shores are remote enough, but three at once is a colossal coincidence. Obviously, the Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes, and the Infinity Stones need a big presence on Earth to push forward the plot but, just like The Doctor's TARDIS, it's hard to overlook the sheer unlikeliness at play.

The DCEU risks finding itself in a similar predicament. After all, Earth is where Darkseid suffered defeat in the ancient past, where the Mother Boxes were lost, and where Steppenwolf meets a brutal end at the hands of the Justice League. In a franchise full of alien worlds and lanterns every color of the rainbow, that's quite the fortuitous lineup of events. But Zack Snyder's Justice League does that rare thing of providing a plausible explanation for why Earth is the metaphorical center of the universe - the Anti-Life Equation.

According to DCEU lore, the Anti-Life Equation is an all-encompassing power that allows the wielder to control all living beings. At an undetermined time in the ancient past, an unknown mischief-maker carved the Anti-Life Equation into Earth's very crust, and Darkseid (as well as others, possibly) have been hunting for it ever since, maybe even protecting it in Martian Manhunter's case. That Earth was chosen to house the power of Anti-Life is still a coincidence, but it's one single act of random chance, rather than a succession of fortuitous conveniences like the MCU's Infinity Stones or The Doctor's navigation system being jammed on London. Essentially, the Anti-Life Equation accounts for Earth's cosmic importance, justifying any amount of major events that occur there.

This week’s Hollywood controversy over race, professional etiquette, and liberal hypocrisy points to strategic insights found in the year’s biggest release: Zack Snyder’s Justice League and its central figure, Cyborg.

Tasked with laying out the road map and master plot for the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) of Warner Bros., Snyder had to follow a master plot while clarifying his original story and deepening his characters — even the newly introduced superheroes. With all that on his shoulders, Atlas shrugged. Some characters were enriched, others got short shrift. Cyborg’s tale has the best enhancement. Whereas Bruce Wayne’s nightmare closes ZSJL on a powerfully disturbing note — returning psychologically damaged Batman to the DCEU’s center — it is Cyborg who dominates ZSJL, reviving the emotional appeal that Snyder had established with Superman in Man of Steel.

This shift of interest reflects the culture’s recent turnabout: away from the white alpha male toward the Millennial black male’s presumably neglected identity and moral crises. It may indicate Snyder’s political penchant, which, back in 2004, troubled obtuse fanboys who mistook 300’s antiquity politics for Bush-era jingoism. The shift could also be Snyder’s projection of parent-child relations — an anxiety preexisting the family tragedy, his daughter’s suicide, that cost him control over 2015’s Justice League. He is evidently concerned about myth, the nation-state, and the soul — our cultural heritage as it stands in an increasingly secular and racially panicked age.

The fate of black males like George Floyd, Trayvon Martin, and Cyborg obsesses contemporary Hollywood (even while embroiling the industry in public dispute). Don’t dismiss their reflection in ZSJL as frivolous escapism. Moral responsibility falls to a filmmaker such as Snyder whose imagination fulfills his talent to express the human condition. The film’s greatness comes from Snyder’s sensitivity to father-son, parent-child, private and social relations. Cyborg’s story points the way out of Hollywood’s self-imposed race dilemma.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:26 PM, Zonker said:

Watching the 4K version of Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition and Swanwick works with Lois actively to research the bullet and burned bodies from the desert.

So from this J'onn J'onzz already had connected with Lois. And with that the beginnings of a connection what Superman was about.

Zack Snyder is raising money for The American Foundation For Suicide Prevention with custom portraits from the Snyder Cut. The director is signing these pieces of artwork and trying to give people a piece of that film. The Snyder Cut dropped and fans are still flying high from that success on HBO Max. Justice Leauge’s Ray Fisher also chimed in with a call for fans to help support a good cause. Due to the tragic loss of his daughter, the director had to step away from the project. So, the cause is definitely close to his heart. Back in the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut days, the fans and their favorite director teamed to help out the American Foundation For Suicide Prevention to the tune of more than $500,000. And that wonderful trend of help will continue.

Snyder wrote, “Help us raise much needed funds for @afspnational We are auctioning limited original signed and framed character portraits that I shot during ZSJL additional photography. https://auctions.charitybuzz.com/zsjl/ #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague #UsUnited”

So the open pod may have been Granny Goodness as an old Kryptonian that Darkseid was able to win over to his side is a rumor. Especially since Zack Snyder is saying in Justice League 2 there was/is a deeper story to reveal.