• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Ever Made a Real Profit Buying Somebody's Raw Who Says "CGC IT?"

25 posts in this topic

I'm not referring to any one person but on here, Ebay and there people advertise their raw comics are a money-making opportunity if you just CGC them and sell them yourself.

EACH TIME, I see one of these ads I wonder why are the sellers being so generous?  Why not just CGC them yourself then?

Has anyone ever found this to be true?

??

1 minute ago, Tafkap said:

Why not just CGC them yourself then?

Well let's see, cost? Ridiculously long TaTs? Newton Rings? Damage during shipping? Damage once it's in their hands? Scratches on cases? Labeling errors? Grading inconsistencies ie tight and loose periods? Don't believe in slabbing? QA issues?

Many reasons really.

What bothers me more are sellers who use a bunch of used car salesmanship on their graded books, saying stuff like "severely undergraded, crack it and resubmit!" (right) or "this is my favorite cover because x, y, z" (I don't care) or "mid grade but these colors really pop!" (probably not but I can see it for myself if so) or "this will be gone in a hurry!" (okay, then no additional salesmanship needed), etc. Just post clear scans and put the price/terms.

I think the "CGC it!" in eBay titles is just for the purposes of adding to the search string.  Just like the people who add "NOT 9.8" to their 9.6s or whatever.  It's not actually a selling point, just trying to show up when people search for a title + cgc or 9.8.

Edited by Poekaymon

2 hours ago, Tafkap said:

I'm not referring to any one person but on here, Ebay and there people advertise their raw comics are a money-making opportunity if you just CGC them and sell them yourself.

EACH TIME, I see one of these ads I wonder why are the sellers being so generous?  Why not just CGC them yourself then?

??

Havent made a killing on a "CGC IT" but those L@@K! books-thats another story-

I think CGC is a key word to have and your books will end up in alot of searches. I don't pay attention to the extra words contained in ebay auctions. If anything it turns me off seeing "WOW L@@K UNREAD MOVIE" ect...  Wont ignore the cgc it but not sure I've ever purchased a book with that in the title. If I did it was because of a nice description and photos.

19 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I remember being at a show and buying a NM 98 who says "CGC" it. Man I had jackpot fever...turned out it was a 9.4 and I was beside myself with rage....ended up trading it tho

Who were you enraged with? Yourself or CGC? Surely not the guy who sold the book to you, in person?

22 hours ago, Tafkap said:

??

Slabbing costs money and time. And, of course, there is risk. Many folks are cash strapped and can't afford CGC. It is maybe why they are selling comics online.

I don't know if I've ever bought from a "CGC IT!!" seller but I have scored significant deals buying raw on ebay, including turning many of those raws into slabbed 9.8s. The key is paying at a price point that assumes the book is several grades below whatever the seller claims it to be. 

28 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I don't know if I've ever bought from a "CGC IT!!" seller but I have scored significant deals buying raw on ebay, including turning many of those raws into slabbed 9.8s. The key is paying at a price point that assumes the book is several grades below whatever the seller claims it to be. 

Yes, assume the seller of raw books is purposefully overgrading by several grades and then bid what would still be a discount on the lower grade.

^^