• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your 2021 collecting goals?
3 3

71 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2020 at 2:49 PM, engelhard said:

i would like to start buying some golden age books... but everything i want is expensive lol time to start selling comics to buy comics

That is a true misnomer my friend. There are SO many very cool GA books out there that won't break the pocket book. You just may have to lower your standards a little as far as titles, genre and condition. I find so many in all genres that are still affordable and very fun to own. GA is such a bottomless pit with so many possibilities and fun in that they can be quite the challenge to find.

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That is a true misnomer my friend. There are SO many very cool GA books out there that won't break the pocket book. You just may have to lower your standards a little as far as titles, genre and condition. I find so many in all genres that are still affordable and very fun to own. GA is such a bottomless pit with so many possibilities and fun in that they can be quite the challenge to find.

Completely agree.  Love classic cap but don't want to shell out 500 on a book?  Schomberg did equally gorgeous work on Real Life comics which can be had in vg for under 30 bucks. Tons of later barks duck books go for cheap if not hg.  With patience you can pick up the occasional  prewar book for cheap if you're diligent.   Skip baker romances and get his westerns.   Lb Cole?  Frisky Fables.

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

With the prices bronze and copper age books are bringing i dont mind selling into the hype for a very nice profit..

Im more into GA because of the art and history.. i don't need super high grade or super popular books but most i like are still expensive.. like that Fighting Yank #23 up there.

2 hours ago, engelhard said:

With the prices bronze and copper age books are bringing i dont mind selling into the hype for a very nice profit..

Im more into GA because of the art and history.. i don't need super high grade or super popular books but most i like are still expensive.. like that Fighting Yank #23 up there.

There's a lot of great GA cover art.  It can get expensive if the collector's primary focus is on Alex Schomburg, LB Cole, Jack Kirby, Mac Raboy or Lou Fine, but there are quite a few other noteworthy artists (Syd Shores, Jack Binder, Jack Cole, Reed Crandall, Irv Novick, etc.) whose superb cover work flies under the radar. The premium placed on an artist's work is often determined by distinctiveness of style, a prolific legacy or the sensationalism of certain well known covers. 

21 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Completely agree.  Love classic cap but don't want to shell out 500 on a book?  Schomberg did equally gorgeous work on Real Life comics which can be had in vg for under 30 bucks. Tons of later barks duck books go for cheap if not hg.  With patience you can pick up the occasional  prewar book for cheap if you're diligent.   Skip baker romances and get his westerns.   Lb Cole?  Frisky Fables.

Very good advice that I have been doing for the past years. I’m obviously not the only one as I have been seeing prices go up a lot on those as well. I have always loved Cole’s Frisky and Holiday. If you are not that fixated on grade, bargains can still be found though. 

3 hours ago, engelhard said:

Yeah, personally, I would never want to pay even what a lower grade copy would bring now. I remember discovering Schomburg on Timely books. My buddy Redbeard pointed out the Nedor books. A much more inexpensive alternative to Timely. I quit them and went in heavy on the Nedors. Then I discovered his Xela GGA stuff and bought as many as I could find. I guess old age and vision has paid off well. :preach:

This Fighting Yank will be sold by my kids probably...

19 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I have a new plan for 2021, I have to sell 20 books for every one I buy and I have to sell before I can buy.  Should make for an interesting 2021.

That's a good idea. If I have one goal for 2021 it's to exercise more purchasing discipline, to ensure that my collection is completely funding itself.