• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2020 at 3:08 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Marvel Super Special 16 is the first Yoda, Boba Fett and Lando. Came out before the comics and still undervalued as of now.  Seems like the better alternative to having to get 41, 42, and 43.

According to Mike's Amazing World, Marvel Special Edition preceded the Marvel Super Special by a few weeks.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=60832

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=68418

Sorry, posted the art in the wrong forum.

In the last month, I did, however, pick up five short boxes of Star Wars for $50 per short box at a local shop that included a Mace Windu #5, Jedi Vs. Sith #1, Shadows of the Empire #1, Dark Empire #1, Star Wars #10 (Dark Horse), three copies of the first Darth Maul and many other really cool issues that are going up in value. There was nearly an entire short box of Dark Horse Star Wars comics, lots of Ahsoka Tano appearances and a lot of Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra issues. The Dark Horse SW issues were very nice and most appear to be in NM.

There's more than 500 Star Wars comics in these boxes, so I got them really cheap.

I bought all these not knowing any of them were really worth much at all. A shop had them, told me they'd sell me some back stock to make some cash late in the year and these were there, so I bought them and a few short boxes of other new comics.

Edited by Michael Browning

14 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

According to Mike's Amazing World, Marvel Special Edition preceded the Marvel Super Special by a few weeks.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=60832

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=68418

Yeah, that is correct the Treasury came out before MSS16.  

According to the copyright info (not sure if the link will bring you the page, so posting the screen shot as well), the publication date (not necessarily the on-sale date, but probably the date the issue was submitted for copyright), for the Super Special is April 22, 1980. The info for the Special Edition isn't as precise.

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=7&ti=1,7&SEQ=20201231121610&SAB1=marvel special star wars&BOOL1=all of these&FLD1=Keyword Anywhere (GKEY)&GRP1=OR with next set&SAB2=&BOOL2=as a phrase&FLD2=Keyword Anywhere (GKEY)&CNT=25&PID=Z3InBFdcqdFnJmtyDWeM0X4GymZy8&SID=1

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 12.18.00 PM.png

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

1. So this would be the first appearance of Thrawn then? image.png.3458deda320e47879c2977741d6ff578.png

2.  Here is a recent article with dates.  I see no reason to dispute it, FT 74: First Boba Fett | CBSI Comics (comicbookinvest.com)

1. I'm not familiar with that book. Is it comic panels formatted into book form like the ESB?

2. Yes, I read that article. I would like to counter with this: http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2014/12/first-appearance-boba-fett.html

5 hours ago, pkveronese said:

Anybody else having trouble buying the jedi Cal in the Yoda one-shot is actually Cal Kestis from Jedi: Fallen Order?

It’s not him. 

Anybody who says it is is wrong. That Cal died in that Yoda book, has different color hair, eyes and a different master...just to name a few. Also, I think the events that lead to that Cal’s death were referenced in a Clone Wars episode, which would make said events canon.

There are a number of persons named Cal in SW legends. And more than one in Canon. (See below). Anybody buying that book thinking it’s the first Cal Kestis is fooling themselves thinking it’s the first Cal Kestis. They simply bought the first appearance of another SW character named Cal.

The first acknowledgement Cal Kestis’ existence in a comic was in SW Jedi Fallen Order Dark Temple #5. He has yet to appear in a comic. 

DA909FFB-F9C8-4A4E-A3C6-6ECE7D126F7A.thumb.png.d4c23cc07c911f16ff48adcf9621f914.png

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 12/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, silversurfer275 said:

9 is his 1st full even if you read it hes in 3 panels and speaks

Thank you for pointing this out and steering me in the right direction.  There is some misinformation out on the internet (CBSI) on issue 9 only being one page with 2 panels and no word bubbles.  Revan is on 2 pages in issue 9 with 5 panels and speaks twice.  Issue 9 is indeed the first full Revan.

I originally submitted my copy in November and it is currently at CGC for grading.  Then in early December I see this  https://comicbookinvest.com/2020/12/04/star-wars-revans-first-appearance/ on CBSI and believed what I saw them talking about.  They never talked about the second page and then made reference to issue 42 being the first full Revan book.  @silversurfer275 post made me seek out the truth.  I bought the trade to see for myself.

@Mijael.Levy I'm sorry I didn't believe your post on 9 being the first full Revan.  I thought CGC got the label wrong.  Thank you for trying to get me better informed. 

Here are the pages from issue 9 KOTOR

revan 1.jpg

revan 2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

Thank you for pointing this out and steering me in the right direction.  There is some misinformation out on the internet (CBSI) on issue 9 only being one page with 2 panels and no word bubbles.  Revan is on 2 pages in issue 9 with 5 panels and speaks twice.  Issue 9 is indeed the first full Revan.

I originally submitted my copy in November and it is currently at CGC for grading.  Then in early December I see this  https://comicbookinvest.com/2020/12/04/star-wars-revans-first-appearance/ on CBSI and believed what I saw them talking about.  They never talked about the second page and then made reference to issue 42 being the first full Revan book.  @silversurfer275 post made me seek out the truth.  I bought the trade to see for myself.

@Mijael.Levy I'm sorry I didn't believe your post on 9 being the first full Revan.  I thought CGC got the label wrong.  Thank you for trying to get me better informed. 

revan 1.jpg

revan 2.jpg

Isn’t that also him on the cover of 9?

15 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

revan 1.jpg

revan 2.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I don’t have the actual issues yet so I’m waiting on the omnibus to actually read it all.

2 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:
8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Isn’t that also him on the cover of 9?

Lucien Draay on the cover.  That's who Revan is speaking to in the panels.

Thanks. I have not read any of these so when I saw #9 prices and listings I assumed the hot first appearance was the cover guy. Now knowing it’s actually fully-cloaked-the-whole-time guy... I don’t feel bad missing that issue. 

1 minute ago, manetteska said:

Thanks. I have not read any of these so when I saw #9 prices and listings I assumed the hot first appearance was the cover guy. Now knowing it’s actually fully-cloaked-the-whole-time guy... I don’t feel bad missing that issue. 

We never get to see Revan's face.  KOTOR 42 is where he gets his Mandalorian mask and the hooded robed guy is revealed to be Revan all along.

1 hour ago, Catwomancomics said:

There is some misinformation out on the internet (CBSI)

I respect that they are trying with all of these lists, but there are quite a few errors that should be cross checked before posting certain books as first appearances. 

Edited by awakeintheashes