• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acid Free Box Recommendation

27 posts in this topic

Hey anyone have a good recommendation on acid free box sources? I currently use 11.5 x 11.5 x 8.25 acid free boxes I bought years ago from BCE. I need to purchase about five more to move some books out of magazine size boxes. I was shocked (shocked I say) to find out the current price is $50. Each from BCE. I’ve found other sources with other sizes but wonder if anyone else has any suggesions or recommendations.

I have never liked the acid free boxes.  They seem to be more fragile or less sound structurally.  The hand grips tear easily.  Perhaps money is better spent on mylar and buffered backer boards.

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hey anyone have a good recommendation on acid free box sources? I currently use 11.5 x 11.5 x 8.25 acid free boxes I bought years ago from BCE. I need to purchase about five more to move some books out of magazine size boxes. I was shocked (shocked I say) to find out the current price is $50. Each from BCE. I’ve found other sources with other sizes but wonder if anyone else has any suggesions or recommendations.

Are you talking about the black plastic ones?

I bought two of the CGC size ones that I use for regular golden age, but I love them.

2 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I have never liked the acid free boxes.  They seem to be more fragile or less sound structurally.  The hand grips tear easily.  Perhaps money is better spent on mylar and buffered backer boards.

Yes I have almost all in Mylar now but the gray acid free boxes have served me well for twenty years or so. Just don’t see them being worth $50. Each.

10 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here’s a picture of what I have. Does anyone else use these?

image.thumb.jpeg.53204afd32062a9bf595370d921eec65.jpeg

I have a bunch of these. Got them many years ago. Don’t use them much now. The glue seams have popped on many of them. Also, they are pretty small. The width is perfect for GA but they don’t hold much. I use just regular magazine size. My books are all in Mylar with full backs. I figure this is good enough protection. $50. each is crazy!

I use the #13s from EGerber Supply. They seem to be kind of flimsy, but I understand that is because the acidic lignin is removed(?).

I also have a bunch of the Bill Cole boxes - both the comic size and the magazine size.

if you're not trying to keep things all the same, I recommend the EGerber stuff, especially if you live west coast, as the shipping is one size fits all, so west coasters get off cheap.

PM me if you want more info.

13 hours ago, podochigae said:

I bought mine way back in the early 1980's from E Gerber.  Some are falling apart now.  I looked at the BCE website and $50 for 1 box seems a lot.  And does 1 box really weigh 10 lbs?  What did you last pay for these boxes?

IMG_3808.JPG

It was so long ago I don't remember but not the equivalent of $50 today. Bill Cole retired I wonder if they are just selling out stock at high prices. I have actually glued one or two of these that came loose on the edges with good success.

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I use the #13s from EGerber Supply. They seem to be kind of flimsy, but I understand that is because the acidic lignin is removed(?).

I also have a bunch of the Bill Cole boxes - both the comic size and the magazine size.

if you're not trying to keep things all the same, I recommend the EGerber stuff, especially if you live west coast, as the shipping is one size fits all, so west coasters get off cheap.

PM me if you want more info.

Thanks I am going to order some from Gerber today.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have a bunch of these. Got them many years ago. Don’t use them much now. The glue seams have popped on many of them. Also, they are pretty small. The width is perfect for GA but they don’t hold much. I use just regular magazine size. My books are all in Mylar with full backs. I figure this is good enough protection. $50. each is crazy!

Yeah it is the magazine ones I want to fill with magazines! The short size was perfect as two would stack one in front of the other and they were easy to get to when I wanted. But not at $50. each!!

By the way here is a funny story about Ernie Gerber. I met him at a SDCC in the and was buying his Golden Age photo journals. I decided to use a credit card or a check; either way it had my full name on it. Ernie looked at it and had this shocked look on his face. It turns out he had gone to the grammar school named after my Great Grandfather back in NJ. I share the same name so he wondered how such a young guy (at the time) could have a school named after him!! I explained it was my Great Grandfather!!  This has actually happened to me a couple of times in California; once at the bank which was fun!!

I have purchased some of these boxes.  They are expensive but come in a variety of sizes.  If you have extra large books/comics or just need a box to fill a small slot on a shelf, they can be useful.

https://www.pfile.com/product/m-73309-g/Acid-Free-Boxes-For-9x12

I purchased acid-free boxes from Gerber about 20 years ago (he was still alive at the time).  They were grey and folded up just like a standard cardboard short box, including handhold cut outs on each end.  They are a different model than the pictures that have been shared.

37 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I purchased acid-free boxes from Gerber about 20 years ago (he was still alive at the time).  They were grey and folded up just like a standard cardboard short box, including handhold cut outs on each end.  They are a different model than the pictures that have been shared.

Thanks, I was able to place my order for mylar bags and boards today with Gerber but the boxes recommended are on back order until 500 units are needed. So come on guys order away!!

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks, I was able to place my order for mylar bags and boards today with Gerber but the boxes recommended are on back order until 500 units are needed. So come on guys order away!!

hm...., but...., but...., I still have 5 that I haven't used yet..., 

Do you know if they charged you up front?  I've been thinking about ordering some magazine backing boards, but they are under the minimum order....,