• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Tidbits

14 posts in this topic

Ever want to discuss a topic but it doesn't feel like it warrants its' own thread?  That's the purpose of Modern Tidbits.  

Probably will contain a lot of discussion about reading a recent release.  But it's fluid to discuss writers, artists, collecting styles, etc. 

Don't feel like you have to respond to the particular topic being discussed.  We can have numerous discussions to keep topics fresh. 

Couple rules:

1) If there is already a thread for the topic, it's probably best to post there.  I'm talking the long running threads like Hot Comics, Walking Dead, Newstands, etc. 

2) If a particular topic runs for an eternity here, it may be best to start a separate thread. 

Patrick

Thoughts on Solid Blood 17?

For me? Loved everything about it.  Gloriously terrible like 90s Image but was really fun.

Awful newsprint paper. 

Come on, the Michonne scene?  

Felt like Invincible which I've sorely missed. 

For the financials, the book is selling really well.  $15 average.

One of our stores was selling the 1st day for $15.  Glad I skipped it their as other stores were less shady.  And to answer the question, they had quite a few copies.  

Patrick

2 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:

My LCS didn't receive any Solid Bloods but my alternate LCS was selling them for $10 so I passed. Was this the book that was given free to comic shops?

Fantastic question, I'd love to know. 

They wrote the letter page like there had been previous issues and have a cover for #18.  Though we know that Kirkman is the kind of faux covers (WD 194 and 195).

Kind of hope we see more.

Image had this cool stunt where they released issue 25 which showed the future.  then they released 10 thru 24 to show they got to 25.   Idea never really took off.  Wondering if that could happen her.

Patrick

I think I'm the only person that actually enjoyed The Joker War. It was Batman being Batman and Joker being Joker. That's kinda all I wanted from it. It acted as a reset for the Bat-family and gave a not more depth to Harley.

X of Swords had a great start, a sluggish middle and a good end. Fleshing out Apocalypse and tying it all mostly to his backstory was a great way to freshen up someone who, I thought, was getting a bit stale. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. Also, it had Magik kicking . I need more of that.

22 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

My LCS didn't receive any Solid Bloods but my alternate LCS was selling them for $10 so I passed. Was this the book that was given free to comic shops?

I believe shops were given copies equal to the number of the final issue of Invincible they ordered.

So some will have none & some will have 100s

17 hours ago, Jitstark said:

I think I'm the only person that actually enjoyed The Joker War. It was Batman being Batman and Joker being Joker. That's kinda all I wanted from it. It acted as a reset for the Bat-family and gave a not more depth to Harley.

X of Swords had a great start, a sluggish middle and a good end. Fleshing out Apocalypse and tying it all mostly to his backstory was a great way to freshen up someone who, I thought, was getting a bit stale. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. Also, it had Magik kicking . I need more of that.

i only read the X-men issues.  So my response is likely skewed.  In your opinion, was it critical to read the entire arc across titles?

The start was fantastic.  I also enjoy how they finally gave a purpose to Apocalyse's "survival of the fittest" mantra. 

But I grew beyond bored w/ it in the middle and end.  Felt more like a St Fighter game of who would win in a grudge match.  

Patrick

7 hours ago, followtheleader said:

i only read the X-men issues.  So my response is likely skewed.  In your opinion, was it critical to read the entire arc across titles?

The start was fantastic.  I also enjoy how they finally gave a purpose to Apocalyse's "survival of the fittest" mantra. 

But I grew beyond bored w/ it in the middle and end.  Felt more like a St Fighter game of who would win in a grudge match.  

Patrick

This is one of the few arcs where reading the tie-ins were in someways better than the main event. The Wolverine tie in and the X-Force ones add a lot to the story, the X-Force one in particular which helps make sense for the ending. I think it's the X-Force (I could be getting mixed up with the main X-Men book) it's the one based on the SWORD station.

The 'Survival of the Fittest' is the best kind of retcon/character development. Actually gives depth to him and doesn't just mean he was a madman in the past. Add in his family, you gotta feel for the guy. It's like he can finally turn around and say 'see I was doing it all for a reason!'

Hickman has done some good things with characters with his X-Men run, Moira, Apocalypse, Domino, Gorgan.

I agree with your analysis of it being like a SF game. It felt a bit like an anime/manga in how they just breeze past some matches. But what gets me is that the fight was always skewed in Karako's favour with the fight of Gorgan and White Sword. The best Arrako could have got out it would be 1 point whereas Karako could have got 100 if Gorgon kept going. Maybe that was Saturne's ploy all along.

Not a big fan of Alien(s). 

Luke warm fan of Venom. 

Definitely not a fan of buying books that don't fit into my comic runs.  

But this is such a great cover.  Had to get one. 

Would love to see a Symbiote vs Aliens series.

Side note: Most of the other Alien covers are terrible. 

Patrick

OIP.jpg

If you like Clownhunter, then Batman Annual 5 is a good pick-up.

Origin story of Clownhunter - about his parents, costume, and weapon.  

Decent read. 

Artwork inside was really poor. 

But the InHyuk variant was fantastic. 

Patrick

That Venom cover is pretty cool. King In Black has started off well if you like Cates 'blockbuster' style writing. The artwork by Stegman has always been great and he does some amazing crazy splash pages when it comes to the big set pieces.

I've also pre-ordered a selection of Future State issues to see what they're like. I'm a sucker for DC when they do their alternate futures/reboot stints so will be interested to see how this goes leading into Infinite Frontier.

Thoughts on Frost Giant's Daughter?  It's by Ablaze Comics.  

The thought of Conan w/ Marvel is insanely boring to me.  Conan and that universe need to be super raw. 

I enjoyed FGD #1 more than I thought I would.   Looking forward to tackling #2 soon. 

Some of the covers are killer.  Peach M cover for those that enjoy her work (it was one of my least favorite covers).

Posting 2 covers I picked up.  Really like them. 

Some of the interior splash pages are stunning.  Just cool scenery, lighting, etc. 

Patrick

OCT200979.jpg

7759247-02a.jpg