• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this waviness be pressed out?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I just bought this and it looks amazing for the grade.  I haven't gotten the graders notes yet, but a once over shows this extreme waviness on the back cover as the major grade hit.  I'm not one to crack and reslab, but it seems like it could be worth it here. 

Could whats in the picture here be pressed out?  

20201217_155045.jpg

I think the picture makes it look better than it actually is, btw.  

Edited by unmovedmover

5 hours ago, Galen130 said:

Press will help.  Out of curiosity, what grade did it get?

Its like the best looking 8.0 I've ever seen. The edges and corners are sharp, the cover is super clean - it actually looks pressed.  But two of the corners have significant ncb creases and this thing you can see on the back.  High quality press and re-sub sounds like a good ideahm

Graders notes:

CGC Grader Notes
light rippling/warping top of back cover
light staple rust w/ stains centerfold
very light, multiple staple rusted
very small dent center of spine
very small tear right top of back cover

I can see a spot of rust on the staples now that I'm looking for it.  I dont know if the accumulation of defects makes a press worth it or not...

Edited by unmovedmover

On 12/18/2020 at 3:07 PM, unmovedmover said:

Its like the best looking 8.0 I've ever seen. The edges and corners are sharp, the cover is super clean - it actually looks pressed.  But two of the corners have significant ncb creases and this thing you can see on the back.  High quality press and re-sub sounds like a good ideahm

Graders notes:

CGC Grader Notes
light rippling/warping top of back cover
very small dent center of spine
very small tear right top of back cover

I can see a spot of rust on the staples now that I'm looking for it.  I dont know if the accumulation of defects makes a press worth it or not...

I wonder if it ever got wet, hence the waviness and rusty staple?

On 12/18/2020 at 2:07 PM, unmovedmover said:

Joeypost's opinions count for much more than mine, but these lines would make me hesitant to bother with much on this book. Especially if there's enough rust to already have migration stains to the CF, I think you're going to be capped at about the grade you have even if the wiggly bits get pressed out correctly.

" The expert has spoken", I'll say! Sent joeypost my  Mystery in Space #2...It was done for. Got me a 4.0! And he dropped it at CGC for me! Piece missing  back cover kept me out of 5.0 range. He really does great work! Highly recommend! Listen to what he says.

unnamed.jpg

908.jpg

789.jpg

678.jpg

456.jpg

344.jpg

776.jpg

0.jpg