• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BeatleBlueCat DEFRAUDING BUYERS with Massive SHILL BIDDING and Same old "Buy CGC graded 7.5, crack and sell as raw "NM" scam
10 10

1,200 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

top right corner looks a little different. might he have pressed the book a bit? while yes, 7.5 to 9.4 is a big jump, CGC is not the word of G-D, I have a 7.0 from them and I don't know why it is not a 9.2. And I've had 9.4s that look like 8.0s. Not sure how it would be a 9.4 as presented though.

I've cracked out 100s of books, and you have it nailed. The consistency is that CGC'd (and PGX and CBCS) books are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.  

Pin on Gifs

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Doesn't look reslabbed to me. Does it? Different thing altogether. And knowing you from the forum I'd wager that you'd be one of the last ones to photoshop flaws and juice the contrast of that Avengers 1

IM55b.jpg

The avengers was sold on the same site I bought it from. You are pretty quick to make accusations about things you are ignorant of.

do you know if the book in question was pressed? Do you know anything about it?

I expect a seller to disclose the fact that a raw book they’re selling was previously a slabbed copy.  About a decade ago I bought a raw “8.5/9.0” ASM 14 on the boards that was previously a CGC 8.0

The seller didn’t disclose that it was previously slabbed, but I received a PM pointing out that it was.  I decided to return the book, with that being my reason. 

In retrospect, I wish I had kept it.

2F3DD51D-871A-453B-AE66-8D426FADFFB5.jpeg

32 minutes ago, shadroch said:

The avengers was sold on the same site I bought it from. You are pretty quick to make accusations about things you are ignorant of.

do you know if the book in question was pressed? Do you know anything about it?

Yes, I know the history of it. He bought the book on Nov 7th as a CGC 7.5, and now he is selling it as a raw 9.4. Do you doubt that the two pictures are of the same book? And by all means, if your opinion of the photoshopped book differs from mine, bid and win. Maybe it'll fare better than 7.5 when you resubmit it to CGC, maybe not.

What's amazing to me is that you point a finger at me for being at fault. And for saying you are honest and he is not. Truly astonishing. ??? 

54 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

Shad wasn't saying that it is slabbed now.

Do you know for a fact that he isn't pressing the books?

If people are happy with the books he is selling them, maybe he is pressing them, and they are now much better than 7.5-8.5.

Then by all means, buy, buy, buy. Maybe you'll be lucky like JustinL and this former CGC 7.5 will grade 9.4 when you resub it. Unfortunately, I don't think so. CGC doesn't accept photoshopped images for grading. You still have to send the book in and they grade that; the reality; not the photoshopped fantasy photo. .

Edited by James J Johnson

53 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

The seller told me the IM55 was pressed FWIW.

So the book that was once a 7.5 was pressed and improved.

The strange thing is if it was resubmitted and came back a 9.4, no one would complain but without that CGC seal of approval some think the guy is a crook.

5 minutes ago, shadroch said:

So the book that was once a 7.5 was pressed and improved.

The strange thing is if it was resubmitted and came back a 9.4, no one would complain but without that CGC seal of approval some think the guy is a crook.

Then this is great! Perfect seller. Buy CGC 6.0s, crack, sell as raw 9.0.  Buy CGC 7.5, crack, photoshop, sell as raw 9.4. We can't lose if we buy from him! This guy is giving away the farm, who was I to shed light on this perfectly upstanding practice? In a way, this thread is serving a good purpose. It's pointing out BBC as the #1 place to buy raw on ebay. Good did come of it. :facepalm:

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

If CGC calls it a 9.4 after it gets a press, that is fine.

However, self-pressing, assuming you automatically up the grade, assigning a higher grade, selling raw and not disclosing the prior CGC grade or the fact that you pressed (and possibly taking photos that are not true to the item) are the problem.

CGC says taking the book out of the slab voids their grade so once a book is liberated, the former CGG grade is moot.  If I had an obvious flaw pressed out, why would CGC’s opinion of its former state matter?

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Then this is great! Perfect seller. Buy CGC 6.0s, crack, sell as raw 9.0.  Buy CGC 7.5, crack, photoshop, sell as raw 9.4. We can't lose if we buy from him! This guy is giving away the farm, who was I to shed light on this perfectly upstanding practice? In a way, this thread is serving a good purpose. It's pointing out BBC as the #1 place to buy raw on ebay. Good did come of it. :facepalm:

That makes as much sense as saying once a book is graded a 7.5 by someone that it will always be a 7.5 no matter what is done to.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

That makes as much sense as saying once a book is graded a 7.5 by someone that it will always be a 7.5 no matter what is done to.

what evidence do you have that he is pressing the books and is an excellent grader of the book's new condition?  And if that is true, why hasnt he explained that simple explanation to the several people that have questioned him on ebay?  Not sure why you are taking his side in this matter.

Just now, shadroch said:

CGC says taking the book out of the slab voids their grade so once a book is liberated, the former CGG grade is moot.  If I had an obvious flaw pressed out, why would CGC’s opinion of its former state matter?

Like I said, He should be commended! Thank you for your perspective on how honest and forthright this most amazing seller is. I wasn't thinking about his crack, photoshop and inflate the grade strategy to bilk the hobby as a blessing until you made me see the light. Hopefully, this erstwhile and reputable seller will see a dramatic increase in business due to our combined efforts. Buy CGC, crack, photoshop, then inflate, maybe trim a few edges here and there along the way. It's all wonderfully and refreshingly ethical and makes ebay a safe haven to buy raw. 

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I haven't read all the eBay rules for sellers, but I doubt whether what he is doing is illegal, or against their rules. Maybe unethical, but not illegal. A CGC label is just an opinion.

Scummy, but is it really much worse/different than listing a raw never CGC graded book for sale on Ebay at an obviously laughable WAY overgrade. As in you are an experienced seller and knowingly and repeatedly list your FN books as NM. And of course still maintain your 100% perfect feedback rating. At least this scammer is putting out a bit of effort.

1 minute ago, WPPJames said:

Scummy, but is it really much worse/different than listing a raw never CGC graded book for sale on Ebay at an obviously laughable WAY overgrade. As in you are an experienced seller and knowingly and repeatedly list your FN books as NM. And of course still maintain your 100% perfect feedback rating. At least this scammer is putting out a bit of effort.

The difference is he knows the CGC grade-an overinflater is just a hopefulpoor grader.

Just now, kav said:

Not sure why you are taking his side in this matter.

I've always looked forward to reading Shad's posts for info and content. I greatly respect him and his views. But I also find his condoning this practice and encouraging it to be beyond odd. Makes one think of what the reason for defense gone overboard of so shady a practice can be. hm   Especially when you consider his negative former opinion of this type of flim flammery. 

1 minute ago, kav said:

The difference is he knows the CGC grade-an overinflater is just a hopefulpoor grader.

Disagree. A person who regularly deals in comics has at least a basic idea on how to grade. They might be a hopeful/poor grader if they overgrade by a little bit. But when regularly listing books in the FINE range as NM, they are just knowingly and purposely lying. Of course it takes two to tango. A lot of buyers deep down know the book isn't anywhere close to the grade listed, but are just greedy and/or delusional enough to buy into it. And if worst comes to worst, will just attempt to resell it to someone else at the same inflated grade. "Hey I bought it as NM. Nothing wrong with me selling it as NM. I'm not doing anything wrong".

1 minute ago, WPPJames said:

Disagree. A person who regularly deals in comics has at least a basic idea on how to grade. They might be a hopeful/poor grader if they overgrade by a little bit. But when regularly listing books in the FINE range as NM, they are just knowingly and purposely lying. Of course it takes two to tango. A lot of buyers deep down know the book isn't anywhere close to the grade listed, but are just greedy and/or delusional enough to buy into it. And if worst comes to worst, will just attempt to resell it to someone else at the same inflated grade. "Hey I bought it as NM. Nothing wrong with me selling it as NM. I'm not doing anything wrong".

Its the difference between being hopeful/overgrading and knowingly knowing the grade is nowhere near that-because it was in a slab.

16 minutes ago, kav said:

what evidence do you have that he is pressing the books and is an excellent grader of the book's new condition?  And if that is true, why hasnt he explained that simple explanation to the several people that have questioned him on ebay?  Not sure why you are taking his side in this matter.

He told a forumite that he pressed the book.