• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars comic hype
2 2

21 posts in this topic

So I who’ve been away from collecting for a few years and I have noticed that the speculation/flipping of moderns has become crazy. Why does ANYTHING with Star Wars on it go for ridiculous prices now? Even the Dark Horse books that weren’t even that great are selling for hundreds of dollars because some obscure character may/will be appearing in a tv series/movie? Am I the only one that sees this as insane? Surely it’s just speculators selling to other speculators in a huge circle jerk....

ars

36 minutes ago, Underground44 said:

So I who’ve been away from collecting for a few years and I have noticed that the speculation/flipping of moderns has become crazy. Why does ANYTHING with Star Wars on it go for ridiculous prices now? Even the Dark Horse books that weren’t even that great are selling for hundreds of dollars because some obscure character may/will be appearing in a tv series/movie? Am I the only one that sees this as insane? Surely it’s just speculators selling to other speculators in a huge circle jerk....

ars

Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau are beginning to canonize and make relevant some of the Legends stuff (Dark Horse and novels). Filoni started to do it on SW Rebels. Most of the characters first appeared in the comics, so modern flippers are getting in on it in hopes certain characters get canonized, but there are also some crazy SW fans who want to get their hands on first appearances of certain characters.

From what I've observed, the market of people buying these books is not just limited to comic collectors.

I think the modern flippers are over inflating the prices amongst themselves and the non-comic collectors have no choice but to pay the over inflated prices. I’m a Star Wars fan so I get it, but I’ve seen books rise by 1k overnight and I’m skeptical about how that happens 

5 hours ago, Underground44 said:

I think the modern flippers are over inflating the prices amongst themselves and the non-comic collectors have no choice but to pay the over inflated prices. I’m a Star Wars fan so I get it, but I’ve seen books rise by 1k overnight and I’m skeptical about how that happens 

I think it's mostly this. The whole situation reminds me of Beanie Babies.  

It's really no different than what's been going on since superheroes movies have become mainstream and cool.  Any character's first comic appearance has seen an increase in value when they are used in a movie or TV show.  So it's really no surprise that Star Wars characters are getting the same treatment now.  The announcement of multiple shows added to the frenzy with endless possibilities.

Starting with the Mandalorian and continuing with the recent announcement of ten or so properties, it looks like Disney is very invested in a Star Wars universe outside of the original nine movies. It’s not a perfect analogy but it’s like Marvel or DC comics lying completely dormant until the movies came out. People are trying to pick out key movie characters (or already know the big names) from the comics and books. Like buying up FF52, ASM 300, or Giant X-Men. These are big characters in that universe which should show up at some point so start buying now (is the thought process). At least that’s my 2c  

34 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Starting with the Mandalorian and continuing with the recent announcement of ten or so properties, it looks like Disney is very invested in a Star Wars universe outside of the original nine movies. It’s not a perfect analogy but it’s like Marvel or DC comics lying completely dormant until the movies came out. People are trying to pick out key movie characters (or already know the big names) from the comics and books. Like buying up FF52, ASM 300, or Giant X-Men. These are big characters in that universe which should show up at some point so start buying now (is the thought process). At least that’s my 2c  

Yeah. This is pretty much it. Market has been that way since the TWD show hit the scene. As @Catwomancomics said it’s been happening with superhero books. Shouldn’t be a surprise to see it happening with SW. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

The pandemic seems to be a factor as well... since February comics have skyrocketed across the board from new Star Wars to golden age. It’s like speculators and collectors have endless time to research and hunt for whatever... this to me speaks of mostly demand. There is now an increase in demand, because of the spare time people have with the stay at home orders, that is driving up prices.  So it will be interesting to see what will happen as the world goes back to normal (whatever that might look like), I assume there will be some sort of correction.

I was going through a box of old convention material I've received over the years and found about a dozen copies of a book titled 

Discover Dark Horse 2008. I look on ebay and see a few issues being sold for $40-$50 and it is the first appearance of some Star Wars figure i'm not familiar with. 

Then I went to MCS and it seems they are buying the book for fiftynine cents.

I've no idea which price is correct, but the divergence between the two is nuts.

9 hours ago, Underground44 said:

as long as i can remember, this has been the collectibles value model. name the collectible that went to the highest  stratosphere, above known engine ability to  propel it in that flight pattern, and you can bet with confidence that there are some people hiding under the bed with remote firecrackers.

it always ends with the originality and condition of the true rarities surviving the re-entry,, helped along by new knowledge added to the hobby about condition rarity, and after the doctoring and hype and the "i gotta have it" collectors get the point that they overpaid and now don't have enough wampum to purchase the deserving survivor collectibles.

just an opinion, of course. life experience is fun.

there is nothing wrong with jumping on the sell while it lasts  faster wagon, as long as a collector knows when to jump off and walk. 

(how is that for :preach: ?)

I also think that most comic collectors (and many on this board) are far too superhero-centric in their collecting, so they have a blind spot when it comes to Star Wars comics (and broader fandom).

I've made the argument repeatedly that the original Star Wars # 1 (normal, $.30 edition) is one of the biggest Bronze Age Marvel keys - but its value is held back primarily because of the ginormous print run.

I can't think of another Bronze book that sells for $200+ in merely CGC 9.0 when there are literally 6,000+ slabbed copies available in that grade or higher.

So it absolutely makes sense that the first comic appearances of characters in far rarer Dark Horse books like Star Wars: The Clone Wars # 1 (1st Ahsoka Tano) command big bucks.

Edited by Gatsby77

I mean you could say the same about a number of comic characters, not just Star Wars ones. The fact that Marvel heroes and Star Wars project to be relevent for decades to come has everyone buying in. I don’t foresee a market crash but I do foresee some “spec investments” that don’t pay off.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

So it absolutely makes sense that the first comic appearances of characters in far rarer Dark Horse books like Star Wars: The Clone Wars # 1 (1st Ahsoka Tano) command big bucks.

It was only a matter of time before her first appearance began commanding the premium it is now. She’s been very popular for a long time, but it’s off the charts now. Disney+ has a whole section on the SW channel dedicated to her.