• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

INVESTMENTS: Is it time to realize the truth?
3 3

185 posts in this topic

Replied in 2 minutes.

You should get commission for this.

Oh wait...

It's Xmas day, and I'm out.

Merry Xmas

6 minutes ago, Beige said:

Replied in 2 minutes.

You should get commission for this.

Oh wait...

It's Xmas day, and I'm out.

Merry Xmas

It's still Christmas Eve in the homeland of comic books and CGC.

No one gets commission at RallyRd and there are no trading fees, but don't let facts stop your party pooping or lawn yelling.

Edited by valiantman

26 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No one gets commission at RallyRd and there are no trading fees, but don't let facts stop your party pooping or lawn yelling.

So does this mean I can finally get that Action 1 I've been dreaming of....?

30 minutes ago, valiantman said:

RallyRd is an interesting concept, but their website absolutely sucks.  You'd think if they wanted to effectively pitch their service, they would take the time to display some of the items they own, the ROI so far, dividends paid to date, etc.

5 hours ago, mattn792 said:

That helps, should have put it in the first post (thumbsu

If I had to guess where all the money was coming from that has flowed into the collectible market since March, my first guess would be fraudulent PPP loans and fraudulent unemployment insurance claims.  But I can be a cynic when it comes to "free" government money programs.

I have the same income, but now save $700 a month on childcare (afterschoo),  $300-500 a month on commuting, $500 on take out/restaurants, $25-50 on dry cleaning... So, if you kept your job.. 

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

I have the same income, but now save $700 a month on childcare (afterschoo),  $300-500 a month on commuting, $500 on take out/restaurants, $25-50 on dry cleaning... So, if you kept your job.. 

Actually, maybe more on restaurants as I forgot about what my wife and teen would spend for lunch at work/school

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

The post is a response to the generic question:  "Why did so many collectibles suddenly go through the roof in 2020?"

The short answer is "people are stuck at home and bored", but that's also short-sighted.

The long answer is "people are old enough to invest who don't remember the old days of investing"... so what do they choose?

This makes sense....sprinkle that nostalgia in too

Edited by Icculus308win

I asked a question in some thread a while back about comic sales outside the US/Canada and UK and whether or not sales are increasing. To my pleasant surprise @mycomicshopresponded and said sales have increased overseas to China for example albeit a small part of their business. Since Marvel and DC movies are Global successes I still think that maybe demand of the books may increase because there is a larger market at some point.

Edited by Xenosmilus

9 hours ago, mattn792 said:

That helps, should have put it in the first post (thumbsu

If I had to guess where all the money was coming from that has flowed into the collectible market since March, my first guess would be fraudulent PPP loans and fraudulent unemployment insurance claims.  But I can be a cynic when it comes to "free" government money programs.

If you were an actual cynic you’d focus on the rich people getting free government money rather than the rest of us.

18 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
22 minutes ago, JTLarsen said:

If you were an actual cynic you’d focus on the rich people getting free government money rather than the rest of us.

We got us an assumer.

If you're buying comics in this market, you are rich people.

Out of all the collectibles I’ve been into over the years, comics make me the most nervous long term. I can’t believe the amount of tanning/tonning on Silver Age books front and back covers compared to what they looked like back when I was heavily collecting comics from the mid 2000’s. That coupled with the type of paper the interior pages are made of make me nervous of long term stability of thenphysical books themselves. I’m also weary of damage at staples encased or not. Aside from the bonkers pricing the potential condition issues are a major hurdle for me to jump back into comics. It seems like a lot of the uptick is a product of squeezing higher grades out of books with pressing and the TV show and Movie hype speculation. One phenomenon I’ve also noticed in more recent years with comics is the lack of price spread between multiple grades of books. An 8.5 selling for only slightly less than a 9.4. It feels very off to me right now. Not sure if that trend will continue or not as it wasn’t like that previously.

I don’t even watch Baseball anymore but find myself more interested in potentially buying cards from the late 20’s-early 50’s. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mephisto

5 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Out of all the collectibles I’ve been into over the years, comics make me the most nervous long term. I can’t believe the amount of tanning/tonning on Silver Age books front and back covers compared to what they looked like back when I was heavily collecting comics from the mid 2000’s. That coupled with the type of paper the interior pages are made of make me nervous of long term stability of thenphysical books themselves. I’m also weary of damage at staples encased or not. Aside from the bonkers pricing the potential condition issues are a major hurdle for me to jump back into comics. I don’t even watch Baseball anymore but find myself more interested in potentially buying cards from the late 20’s-early 50’s. 🤷‍♂️

There are plenty of the SA books without the tanning/toning - these manifestations are a result of improper storage and improper storage conditions. I have books purchased 50 years ago that have no degradation such as tanning/toning covers, pages, etc.

13 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

There are plenty of the SA books without the tanning/toning - these manifestations are a result of improper storage and improper storage conditions. I have books purchased 50 years ago that have no degradation such as tanning/toning covers, pages, etc.

You mean like the countless insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who I see displaying their books next to their statues and trying to guess the percentage of ones that are going to wind up with faded covers in the CGC cases? Not to mention all the one’s I see displayed on walls in just their cases with no UV protection.

Edited by Mephisto