• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth getting signatures if not witnessed by CGC?

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am new to collecting and am looking at sending in a comic or two to get signed this spring. I wanted to know if it's worth the cost of sending the comic to get signed if it will not be witnessed by a CGC official. They have Beckett representatives there but I'm not sure of the difference. Any advise appreciated. Thanks!

On 12/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, Isalith said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to collecting and am looking at sending in a comic or two to get signed this spring. I wanted to know if it's worth the cost of sending the comic to get signed if it will not be witnessed by a CGC official. They have Beckett representatives there but I'm not sure of the difference. Any advise appreciated. Thanks!

Honestly, it depends on a bunch of stuff, here's a list of the factors that are important IN MY OPINION, though there may be more, and/or others might have priorities in differing amounts.

1.  Which issue.

2.  The grade of the issue.

3.  The condition of the comic.

The above three points will get you an initial potential value, from which you should compare future math.

4.  The prospective signer.

5.  The cost of getting it signed, including signature, shipping, insurance, other fees (possibly time or opportunity cost), and possible economies of scale if you are getting multiple comics signed.

6.  Your comfortability with the risk of damage having the comic(s) handled by multiple people outside of your supervision.

7.  Your options and ability for finding out the value of the comic after signing.

8.  Your ability to achieve the prices that you think you have found both before and after signing.  For example, if you have an ebay store with 10,000 positive feedback and live in NYC, you'll probably get a better price than if you live in Iceland with no experience selling internationally.

9.  Your ultimate goals for your collection or financial prospects, with relation to your preferred profit percentages, your financial situation, risk aversion, etc.  For example.  Some people are fine spending $5 to make $6, essentially a $1 profit, or are just happy if their collection holds value.  But if you're purely in it for maximizing financial investments, you might have different preferences for return on investment (and they may differ relative to percentage or absolute value).  And of course, no one knows your situation better than you.

So view this transaction AS CLOSE TO BUSINESS as you feel comfortable relative to your personal, and just do the math and see what works out for you.  You may have to do some research into values.  In the event that you have more questions (which would be understandable), you should consider what information people might need to provide you a more informed, specific answer.