• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for new owner of found AF 15

10 posts in this topic

so, proverbial story, my father passed away recently.  my mom said she was going to throw out the box of comics, asked if i wanted them.  Went through them the other day and found what i think is a very good 4.0-5.0 AF 15.  would love some advice if you have it.

do i get it graded first regardless if i ultimately sell or save?

do i need insurance if I keep it?

if get it graded, do you insure the shipping?

learning all about a hobby i didn't know much about, in the past few days, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

get it graded first FOR SURE.  don't make any other decisions until then.  The answers after that could VARY A LOT.

and yes, insure the shipping (both ways).

i suggest you contact CGC directly to have them walk you through the ENTIRE process in detail, to minimize any chance for error, mistake, or misunderstanding.  Good luck.

You will probably get a lot more responses if you post this in the Comics General section, and you may also get a lot of direct messages and offers as well.  But as Revat said, I wouldn't do anything until it is actually graded.

Grading an AF15 is probably going to be somewhat expensive. If you were to sell it, auction houses like Heritage and Comic Link may be good options, and I've heard you can even negotiate the fees with big ticket items like an AF 15.

Looks like a great book, and welcome to the boards!

Edit: Sorry for the loss of your father

Edited by Cozmo-One

Sorry for the loss.  If it was me I would look into brining the book to CGC personally and see if they can assist with some sort of walk through grading.  So much can happen during shipping, for peace of mind that's the only way to go.  Plus it would make an awesome memory for later with that book.  

Not dissimilar to my story on an AF15. Consider cleaning and pressing prior to the slab. I sold mine through Bob Storms at Highvalue comics and he was great to work with. Your front costs are not insubstantial. My clean and press ran $300 and CGC sets different rates for what they think a valuable book is, lucky you. I consigned mine to Bob at 8.75% and it was sold in less than six months. You can PM me for details if you like. The condition on mine had no chipping but overall was not dissimilar and I got a 5.0 I have no financial interest at all. 

I would imagine your PM Messages are lighting right up about now. 

Edited by Glassman10

On 12/28/2020 at 5:21 PM, revat said:

get it graded first FOR SURE.  don't make any other decisions until then.  The answers after that could VARY A LOT.

and yes, insure the shipping (both ways).

i suggest you contact CGC directly to have them walk you through the ENTIRE process in detail, to minimize any chance for error, mistake, or misunderstanding.  Good luck.

Agree with all of this