• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting goals for 2021
3 3

105 posts in this topic

Pretty much the same list for the last few years:

Alex’ Comic Art Wish List

In the reasonably possible:

• Aparo B&B page (art and letters by Jim)

In the Serious Stretch Goals category, we have:

• Ditko Creeper
  • Everett Sub-Mariner page
  • Kirby Thor or New Gods page
  • Rogers Detective (Batman) page from his wonderful run with Steve Englehart and Terry Austin
  • Mayer Scribbly page (if there are any)
  • Shuster Superman
  • Sprang Batman
  • Swan/Klein Superman or LSH page

Special cases - I know they exist, but I doubt that I could spend what it would take to get them:

• The splash to JLA 29 (1st series) or the cover, but I'd prefer the splash.
  • Cover to The Official Legion of Super-Heroes Index #1. 
    • The cover to #2 would also work, but it's in David Mandel's collection and I doubt that I could pry it loose.
    • I bid on #2 when it was up for auction to raise money to save Jerry Siegel's house, but I was the under bidder. 
  • A four page Scribbly story recreation by Sheldon Mayer for the book The Greatest Golden Age Stories Ever Told.
    • It was up for auction by his son this year, but billed as the original art for the GA comic, but it was a recreation.
    • The family refunded the money and kept the art. Sigh...

Comic Strips:

• Skippy strip by Percy Crosby
  • Peanuts by Charles Schulz
  • Cul de Sac by Richard Thompson

Joe Shuster - Superman

Murphy Anderson - Adam Strange

Neal Adams - Deadman or Batman

Gil Kane - Green Lantern or Morbius

Jack Kirby - Big Barda

Paul Smith - X-Men (first run)

JRJR - X-Men (first run)

HG Peter - complete interior page, plash or cover

In line with my budget, I have fairly modest goals for 2021.  I've been recently venturing down the rabbit hole of strip art and would like to make a few key pick-ups there.  Specific targets include:

- Enrique Romero's AXA: I'm hoping to pick up a handful of really nice examples, where Axa is fighting monsters/creatures, or is topless (or better yet, both!).  There were some fairly good ones which popped up on Heritage in 2020, but I kept holding out for even better ones and ended up reining in my bids and coming in second highest on the ones I liked.  Hopefully I don't come to regret that.

- Carol Day strips from David Wright:  This is one goal I'll definitely be making some progress on, as I struck a deal for a couple of great examples with another collector during the recent Comic Art Live sale (I owe him the remainder of the payment post-holidays in the new year).

- Walt Kelly's Pogo: dailies are plentiful, but I'm hoping to find a Sunday that ticks off all the right boxes for me.  This is one of those "I'll know it when I see it" type things.

- Krazy Kat daily: another where I'm waiting for the right one to come along.

- Sydney Jordan's Jeff Hawke:  This is a lower priority than the ones above, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a couple or three examples that really catch the sci-fi spirit of the strip (with alien creatures, spaceships, etc.). 

I am also hoping I can manage to bring a specific commission project to life in 2021.  It's an idea I've been kicking around for a while and is completely self-indulgent (even by commission standards).  I'm fairly optimistic about this one, as I reached out to the artist recently to pitch the idea and he definitely seems enthusiastic about it; the only question is if/when he'll be able to fit it in his schedule.

As far as comic book art goes, I want to do some digging around for info on a couple of specific pieces I'd like to at least confirm the existence of.  They are things that wouldn't really have too broad of an appeal, but hit some specific nostalgia points that are unique to me.

Finally (just to get it down in writing), I'm hoping to be more disciplined in 2021.  Basically, avoid bidding on consolation prizes just because I missed the piece I really wanted; no late night eBay impulse buys; thin out the bottom 20% of the collection to offset some new buys; that sort of thing.

Here are a couple broad brush strokes for 2021:

1) Would like to find the color guides pair of my favorite covers or interior pages in my collection. By chance, I've been able to do that with a few pieces and I've overjoyed at the result. 

2) I wish I could say I was hunting for some pages, but really I'm just waiting for some to rise up from wherever they might be hiding. Like the back half of Batman #366 and the splash to Detective #526... where o where are they?

3) A key cover from my peak nostalgia period of DC circa 1986-1991 would be great. Fingers crossed. Email sent.

4) and I think I finally found my perfect commission theme, so the plan is to get one or two in 2021. First result is stellar and looking forward to sharing!

Overall, pretty happy with the state of my collection after thinning it out a bit. 

This year, was lucky enough to add a couple great Batman covers, a pile of early YTLM pages, some more Sean Murphy and Zach Howard art, a Locke & Key interior and cover, and two big charity buys (Lee and Capullo) during the darkest months of the year. Not actively chasing anymore, which is a new feeling. May this sense of contentment not be fleeting...

Thanks to all who helped turn the dumpster fire of 2020 into something slightly more tolerable!    - Bob

Edited by Sideshow Bob

I'll be consigning some comic-book artwork to auction next year.  I've mostly been my own seller over the years but think nowadays collectors prefer the buzz of competing in an auction to get their fixes.

I have a couple of 1965 UK serials I've been trying to put back together as a long-term project and I'm also looking for another four dailies from the Jeff Hawke serial, 'Survival' (UK science-fiction strip)  Some links to what I'm looking for if, by the remotest of chance, anyone here has any examples to help plug the gaps for me:

THE STEEL CLAW - Max Kruger (1965) - Terry Doyle's Original Comic Art Gallery at ComicArtFans.com

9. KELLY'S EYE - The Vampire of Raffino (1965) - Terry Doyle's Original Comic Art Gallery at ComicArtFans.com

7. JEFF HAWKE - 'Survival' (1960) - Terry Doyle's Original Comic Art Gallery at ComicArtFans.com

Movie poster original paintings I have lots of and have been slowing down this year.  I run a successful FB group on movie art where we regularly turn up artwork for sale at (usually) affordable prices.  I tend to pick up some bargains along the way.

1 hour ago, malvin said:

A specific book or any book? 

Malvin 

I have a few different books I have a good portion of that I’m pretty sure I know where most of the rest are at. Just a matter of shaking loose the pages, which as most know is easier said than done. 

I want to finish paying as fast as I can my latest acquisition which is my biggest art purchase ever. I would also like to be able to sell several pieces that no longer fit my current collecting goals. Always looking for John Romita JR Daredevil pages from the Ann Nocenti run as well as pages from Automatic Kafka.

I got into comic art from the movie tie-in books, primarily Buscema. I sold all of it this year because of good prices and the art is really not that great. I am now interested in 0 nostalgia pieces that reflect specific styles.

1) Eddie Campbell From Hell, SFW. I keep missing out on these. A few people seem to be trying to reconstruct the entire book based on CAF.

2) Kirby 2001 page, spacy, metaphysical with crackle if possible, non caveman ;)

3) Williamson Blade Runner page (or a Star Wars universe piece, but $$$)

Non-comic:

4) Another Ted Nasmith Tolkien painting (I cannot find any evidence of these selling in the aftermarket)

5) More Warhammer art

Edited by cstojano

Same goal for me as last year: big splashy Marvel villain pages (70’s-early 90’s) at non-splashy prices.  I’d like to pick up more Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe villain pages, awesome Fighting Fantasy original art pages from the first 21 books and some Garbage Pail Kids original card art from the original series.  Also, if possible, some awesome Cracked Magazine art from my collecting days (mid-80’s to early 90’s).

7 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

For me,

- As many early ASM books as possible. Gotta fill in my pre issue 50 run but also think I can get 50-400 completed this year.

- Another LB Cole book of some sort

- Finish my 80s Moon Knight run

- Start Silver Surfer run from original series (or at least the issue with Spidey in it)

:gossip: . . . it's an artwork forum :bigsmile: