• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting goals for 2021
3 3

105 posts in this topic

This is more like a Year in Review for 2021.

The upside to the rise of OA is that I'm getting more out of my pieces when I sell and since most of my acquisitions are under $1k and I can really make that stretch. Selling at both Comic Art Live shows has been integral at that. I acquired 16 pieces this year. Of those 16, I've publicly posted 7, which are:

1. After 8 years of searching, I finally acquired a Knightfall page with Bane on it. Art by Jim Aparo (also my first Aparo).
  2. I finally got a published Bane piece by Graham Nolan (well, sort of) featuring the Breaking of the Batman. I think this may be my first trading card art, too.
  3. I added another Bane sketch by an artist who worked on him before or during Knightfall. It is also my first Travis Charest. So pretty much this was the year of Knightfall for me, with that stuff getting harder to harder to find (outside of HA) these days.
  4. I have a lot of nostalgia for the Golden Age Sandman from Sandman Mystery Theater and I can't believe the ease I went through to get one.
  5. Finally a Darwyn Cooke Catwoman piece! This one had my name written all over it.
  6. I love Gilbert Hernandez's art but I've never found a L&R piece of his that I'd drop money on. Oh, but his story in Sensation Comics feat. Wonder Woman has long been on my checklist. I finally got one off Comic Art Live.
  7. The years 2004-2005 are nostalgic years for me and I finally got a Marvel page from that era. Just in time for the character's alter ego appearance in the movie universe!

What I haven't posted includes:

• Two Marvel title splashes from 1991
  • 4 Marvel interior pages from the 90s
  • A copper age Marvel page I traded a dealer for during November's CAL
  • A DC page from an issue #1 from a 1988 mini
  • A Black Panther specialty piece by Billy Graham

We all have OA collector-friends who enable our addiction and are integral to getting art that we otherwise couldn't without an assist, and this year, friends have helped me out a lot. Those friends include Roger K. from whom I acquired the SMT piece and the Cooke sketch. Turns out we live not far from each other so it was easy-peasy pick up. On that note, after a year of isolation in 2020, it was nice to have lunch with @Weird Paper(Roger K.) and @MyNameIsLegionand head out to Roger's house for an art pick up and view his amazing collection. Another great friend has been Jason S. who let me exploit the labor he put in finding art and pick up a few pieces through his deals. He also brokered another sale between The Billy Graham Estate and me. But lastly, this is what he did to help me get some art. There was an eBay auction for two pieces of art inside one huge museum-quality frame. The seller wanted $200 for shipping. But according to his location, Jason lived "only" 45 minutes from the buyer and offered to pick up the art for me. So I contacted the seller and he agreed to a local pick up if I won. Well, now I had a $200 advantage over all other bidders (sucks that it has to come down to that unfair advantage) and this thing was mine to lose, which I didn't. Jason did the pick up, took the art (and comic) out of the frame, and safely shipped it to me. I spent about $50 in the costs for shipping. Such friends! 

The downside to 2021 was that I received two separate art pieces that were damaged during the shipment. On one of them, I only received a fraction of the insurance claim. The other was sent Priority Mail without insurance. Also: first the good, I was in contact with a well-known dealer in the U.K. giving him art estimates, when it turned out he had a grail cover from my childhood and offered it up to me for "only" $12K. I really wanted it, I should've been its caretaker, but ultimately I don't swim in the 5-figure pool. Sure I have the art to cover it, but I'd have lot of 'splaining to do to my wife and the triggering a tax event would only cost me more. Sad about it, but it is what it is. Maybe when the kids are older and I can pull the trigger on a gun like that.

I'm one of those collectors who rely on eBay and PayPal to fund my HOBBY (OA is not my business). With the new 1099-K law it'll be interesting to see what art will come without the funds I'm used to spending.

Edited by John E.

“1) silver Age page featuring Mr Fantastic (doesn’t have to be by Kirby, but the earlier the better)

2) sliver Age (Marvel) Ditko page”

I actually knocked #1 off of my list! 8C061456-A873-46CE-9A4B-C72D43E9582E.jpeg.5bd0f428ec9698d9af32d1c5af59f632.jpeg I got a Strange Tales 106 page (tied with ASM 1 and FF 12 as Reed’s 15th appearance)

Edited by Grant Turner
Number change

On 12/29/2020 at 3:58 PM, Twanj said:

Maybe another Kirby?

More RON LIM!

Ron Lim Silver Surfer splashes or covers from #19-65.

Ron Lim Captain America splashes or covers.

A 4th Coipel cover. Maybe a DPS?

Silvestri Wolverine or X-Men

Purves Hulk

Something from McGuinness, McFarlane Hulk or Spidey, Jim Lee, Art Adams, BWS.

I was able to add a 4th and 5th Coiple cover, but branched out on everything else. Here's to 2022 :)

What a great thread idea. Here's to the OP or someone else starting a 2022 version.

With everything going on out there, sometimes art seemed pretty small fry in 2021, but it was still a great year for collecting.

To big time collectors my goals probably seem modest, but they are big for me! All Justice League Dark related:

I managed to pry two pages from Justice League Dark away from Kyle Hotz, after months of discussing them.

I also picked up some of Kyle's old art depicting Chastity, something that had been on my list since I got into the hobby.

Also got some JLD pages by Alvaro Martinez, which I had previously given up on due to prices... So this was a nice achievement for me.

But of course, the biggest one for me was finally finding a copy of Detective Comics 359 (first Barbara Gordon/Batgirl) that I was happy with the quality of the book, the price, and certain intangibles that make a book worth it.

IMG_20210415_081500798~2.jpg

JLD-3-14.jpg

IMG_20211205_105900430.jpg

IMG_20200926_125625160.jpg