• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting goals for 2021
3 3

105 posts in this topic

Copy paste 2020 goals ... remove a few, here are my 2021 goals :

- A nice X-Men/Batman/Spider-Man page

- A Perez/Davis/Wieringo page

- A Crossgen (Negation or Ruse) or Wildstorm (Majestic, StormWatch, Wildcats, Jet, Gen-Active ...) page

- A page from a fumetti and a page from a Archie comic

- Frame some pieces,

- Maybe commission a piece or two (that would be a first for me)

As always, the key is finding art that matches my tastes and my (small, by the forum standards) budget ...

Edited by Mycroft

Unfortunately the art I would really love to acquire is now far beyond my reach (b&w Frazetta, Watchmen page, Wrightson Frankenstein page) but I'm still hoping for:

- a Jeff Jones published b&w page

- a Victor de la Fuente published page

- a nice Virgil Finlay illustration

- a nice bronze age published page with Galactus 

- maybe some more published pages from Tim Sale, Darwyn Cooke

- some art I'm not aware of yet but would catch my eye

Let’ see…really more of the same…I’m sure I’ll forget something but this it already too long

Pages from favorite rare or scarce art teams:

-          Any Smith / Everett – Astonishing Tales 6 Ka-Zar story

-          Any Kirby / Smith – Captain America Bicentennial Tales

-          Select Kirby / Everett

-          Select Colan / Everett

-          Select Rogers / Austin – Detective, issue 475 page 3 would be nice

The right Everett Dr. Strange page…and select Sub-Mariner…any Everett welcome

1970s Nova – especially pages from 10 and 11 (see my CAF) – Anything with Sphinx

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2061

A nice Finlay Femme stipple

I also am missing a page from several nostalgic runs, including:

-          Paul Smith X-Men page (1st run)

-          Rogers Dr. Strange page

-          Byrne FF (2nd run)

And Impossible Man is always on the list

In terms of buying vs. selling, I want to offset my art spend by at least 50% - this year I exceeded 75%.  This is pretty easy to drive, you just have to sacrifice really nice art or price decent art sharply…ComicArt Live has been a plus here as it motivates me to take a careful look at the collection

Edited by mtlevy1

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

So that excitement is still there. But the overwhelming desire to own a piece of a given book that I don’t already own is less interesting to me as the prices have continued to skyrocket. Not that everything is unaffordable, just that the prices are too excessive for me to justify, and the idea of selling what I have to get something else just feels too tedious and I am content with those pieces. I really am.

I’ve been essentially saying some version of this for at least 5 years now. And yet every year I end up with at least some new piece of art.

The great thing is, even if not in the active process of buying or selling, the OA relationships and experiences don't have to go away. The artists that have become friends, the collectors that are mentors, the banter here on the boards, guiding my kids through Artists Alley at NYCC like a curator...all are still a part of my life.   But yeah, the unplanned and unexpected never seem to take a year off!  

Everything mentioned above. Thanks for the ideas! (Joking)

I’m going to focus on a few main goals this year, and just keep looking for good art that tickles my fancy. I like to find art that hits the sweet spot between artistry and nostalgia, so I’m always satisfied with what I get. It’s also important to me that it kills two birds with one stone. Like Secret Wars pages I have with art by Romita or Art Adams, or a Romita Jr Spidey page with Daredevil, too. I dig the subtly dynamic pages that combine multiple “wants.”

As for my specific goals, a Bolland Dredd page, or a Buscema 1st run Surfer page, or a Secret Wars cover/A page. 

I had some success with my 2020 goals...

Milo Manara - a published strip from Kama Sutra
J Scott Campbell - a vintage sketch of Danger Girl
David Mazzucchelli - Batman from 2007 

These goals are new or carry overs to 2021
Richard Corben
Frank Quitely
Batman published art
Bill Sienkiewicz page or commission with Batman or Joker or Catwoman Alessandro Barbucci Catwoman commission
Kelley Jones page or commission with Batman or Catwoman
Ditko page (likely from Valiant or another later project)

and especially
- sell more than I buy
- stay focused on my goals, and review goals before any purchases.

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

So I’m thinking about changing focus in 2021. Recently I’ve been interested in British art from Bisley, Leach, Kennedy, Dillon, etc. So most likely letting a few pieces go to start this new obsession. But here are some of my goals

Hewlett - Tank Girl

Dillon - Dredd

Bisley - ABC warriors and Lobo

Kieth - MCP wolvie

Tim Sale - Halloween or Victory 

Mcfarlane - Hulk