• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part 2: A-Level Panel Page Valuations by Artist/Run
7 7

260 posts in this topic

yeah, we will have to update.  But our neat orderly way of thinking of things just went out the window LOL.  It is certainly harder to predict when values are increasingly about content/story in addition to artist, title and general era/storyline.  But agree we should take a crack and gain consensus.

Alan Davis X-Men/Excalbur pages command 3-6K for pages from 1986-88. Many have sold for that price.

Here is a link to Gary Land's sale page. A lot of the higher priced Excalibur pages are from the Special and issues 1-7 of the main series. Greg had most of the pages from these 8 issues at one point and has sold them gradually for prices in this range (I bought 2 from him - one from issue 1 and another from issue 3).

http://www.rglart.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=514

Honestly the pages from the Excalibur Special should be in the 5-10k range and the other Ecalibur pages from issues 1-7 are in the 3-5k range to break it out more clearly.

Edited by kbmcvay

On 1/21/2022 at 7:12 PM, kbmcvay said:

Alan Davis X-Men/Excalbur pages command 3-6K for pages from 1986-88. Many have sold for that price.

Here is a link to Greg Land's sale page. A lot of the higher priced Excalibur pages are from the Special and issues 1-7 of the main series. Greg had most of the pages from these 8 issues at one point and has sold them gradually for prices in this range (I bought 2 from him - one from issue 1 and another from issue 3).

http://www.rglart.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=514

Honestly the pages from the Excalibur Special should be in the 5-10k range and the other Ecalibur pages from issues 1-7 are in the 3-5k range to break it out more clearly.

Heh, that's Gary Land. Not the tracer. 

Malvin 

Here are some Heritage comps for Davis Excalibur if that is the standard to add to the list. 8 examples from 2018-2021 with pages ranging from the years 1988 to 1993. Both Neary and Farmer inks.

A 1993 that went for $4k last year - Alan Davis et Mark Farmer Excalibur Vol 1 #63 Planche 29 (Marvel, | Lot #53233 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Issue 7 page sold in 2018 for $3,720 - Alan Davis and Paul Neary Excalibur #7 Story Page 16 Original Art | Lot #12033 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Issue 1 page sold in 2019 for $3,840 - Alan Davis and Paul Neary Excalibur #1 Story Page 12 Original Art | Lot #95117 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Another 1993 page went for $3,360 in 2021 - Alan Davis and Mark Farmer Excalibur #50 Story Page 26 Original Art | Lot #15757 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Here are 4 more that sold for $3,120 between 2018 and 2019:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/alan-davis-and-paul-neary-excalibur-3-story-page-22-original-art-marvel-1988-/a/121913-17050.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/alan-davis-and-paul-neary-excalibur-9-story-page-3-original-art-marvel-1989-/a/121846-13064.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/alan-davis-and-paul-neary-excalibur-7-page-13-original-art-marvel-1989-/a/121844-11043.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/alan-davis-and-paul-neary-excalibur-7-story-page-5-original-art-marvel-1989-/a/121843-14047.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by kbmcvay

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone here might have some insight on Tim Sale Long Halloween pages?  I have a few I'm thinking of selling, but I've been AWOL for a bit and haven't been paying attention to the market.

According to the top of this thread, an A-level page should sell for $5-10k, but then I see this one from the last Heritage Auction.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/tim-sale-batman-the-long-halloween-1-story-page-24-original-art-dc-1997-/a/7266-94089.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

From my point of view, this seems like the epitome of an A-level page.  It's a nice enough panel page, has Batman and Catwoman in distant silhouette.  But it sold for $21k.  Is there something I'm missing here?

On 1/23/2022 at 8:28 AM, HokieGAK said:

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone here might have some insight on Tim Sale Long Halloween pages?  I have a few I'm thinking of selling, but I've been AWOL for a bit and haven't been paying attention to the market.

According to the top of this thread, an A-level page should sell for $5-10k, but then I see this one from the last Heritage Auction.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/tim-sale-batman-the-long-halloween-1-story-page-24-original-art-dc-1997-/a/7266-94089.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

From my point of view, this seems like the epitome of an A-level page.  It's a nice enough panel page, has Batman and Catwoman in distant silhouette.  But it sold for $21k.  Is there something I'm missing here?

Prices for prime pieces these days are crazy and unpredictable. 

I would recommend you auction TLH pages rather than setting a price yourself. 

The prices in this thread don't reflect the recent craziness 

Malvin 

Malvin 

On 1/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, HokieGAK said:

Take every price you thought you knew and double it, that is the current market IF you buy from an auction house or dealer. There are still plenty of reasonable collectors who are happy to move a piece at a decent (but not obscene) price. I just bought three pages this past week (one for $5K) from regular collectors. That same $5K page would prob pull $8K on Heritage now, but the seller wanted it to be a) cash and b) off the books -- two things you can't get with HA. Just keep reaching out, talking to people and you'll get there.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, malvin said:

Prices for prime pieces these days are crazy and unpredictable. 

I would recommend you auction TLH pages rather than setting a price yourself. 

The prices in this thread don't reflect the recent craziness 

Malvin 

Malvin 

This.  Prices since this thread have gone up on A level pieces 2-3 fold.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:04 PM, vodou said:

NS. Somebody start a new one for D- pages: one main character in a leisure suit drinking a beer at the bar; bartender is male, not an attractive woman, rest of bar in shadows.

How about heroes doing around the house work?  Or some other regular life task. How much for a page of the Hulk at a supermarket?

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/15/2022 at 1:21 PM, MAR1979 said:

How about heroes doing around the house work?  Or some other regular life task. How much for a page of the Hulk at a supermarket?

Are you kidding? I would grab that in a minute. Seriously, I love the odd humor. There was Christmas special about 10-15 years ago in which the Phantom Stranger shows up at party for Zatanna with a large bag of groceries he had been sent out to pick up 2 years earlier and lost track of time. I would love that page. 

On 4/16/2022 at 2:32 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Are you kidding? I would grab that in a minute. Seriously, I love the odd humor. There was Christmas special about 10-15 years ago in which the Phantom Stranger shows up at party for Zatanna with a large bag of groceries he had been sent out to pick up 2 years earlier and lost track of time. I would love that page. 

Something similar happened in Seven Soldiers: Zatanna #2 (2005).

RCO023_1471515032.jpg.639fb2a469847597c88558d572b11399.jpg