• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part 2: A-Level Panel Page Valuations by Artist/Run
7 7

260 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Good idea to pin this thread.

List needs TONS of refinement in my opinion.... which brings up the question: Whose input requests get published in the absence of data points? 

(I have some Eduardo Risso100 Bullets pages I was thinking about selling, and I really think they should be in the $3-5k category. I can cite numerous private sales to corroborate :) )

This list is one of consensus, like wikipedia.  If people have problem with the list and values, we should hash them out here and a consensus should develop over time.  This is not what I think the values are, this is what WE think the values are.  Call me out if something seems wrong, or I didn't get the consensus right.  It will only be a good guide as the input we get. That's also the only way it will work on art that hasn't seen enough or many public sales (private sales count if others find it believable and something they would pay themselves).  So, I encourage everyone to question anything that seems high or low and let others then chime in.  Then I move it up or down, or keep it where it is based on the responses.

Edited by heartened

5 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I’m getting that sense. 😁 Thank you for doing this, it really is very helpful. 

You're welcome!  Hopefully it brings some semblance of sense to the OA universe :)

20 minutes ago, heartened said:

For Hulk 5 and 6, I assume?  How about for the TTA run?

For Hulk 6 specifically.  Issue #5 is Kirby/Ayers but I think you meant issue #2, which is Kirby pencils/Ditko inks.  I haven’t the foggiest idea about valuation for that issue...never seen pages from it for sale.

on the TTA, Stan’s choice of inkers over Ditko was, well, unfortunate, and I think it greatly affects the price.  I’d put a solid A level page at $35K.

2 hours ago, heartened said:

They are on the list.

The Paul Smith UXM pages are indeed on the list at the $5-10K level, but I think that’s based on outdated information.  I don’t think an A level page has sold for several years, and given the very high demand paired with low availability, I can’t see an A level page going for less than $10K now.  It really should be bumped up to the next price level.

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

The Paul Smith UXM pages are indeed on the list at the $5-10K level, but I think that’s based on outdated information.  I don’t think an A level page has sold for several years, and given the very high demand paired with low availability, I can’t see an A level page going for less than $10K now.  It really should be bumped up to the next price level.

Had it there and Gene mentioned maybe lower, on the basis of few/no sales recently.  Anyone else want to chime in?  I would favor 10-20K too although at the low end of that range I would think.  This is also based on the fact that they have to be more than Silvestri, Portacio, etc. but probably less than Lee, Cockrum, etc.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, heartened said:

And are the Capullo/McF pages the ones that have hit the 3-5K mark?  If so, I will amend.

Yes, I'd say 'A' Spawn pages of Capullo/McFarlane are in that range, although they don't come up for sale often. Covers come up more frequently, which are of course, higher.

50 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

If anyone is selling an A level Paul Smith page for 5-10k let me know. I will take it.. maybe multiple! Thanks

4 hours ago, heartened said:

This list is one of consensus, like wikipedia.  If people have problem with the list and values, we should hash them out here and a consensus should develop over time.  This is not what I think the values are, this is what WE think the values are.  Call me out if something seems wrong, or I didn't get the consensus right.  It will only be a good guide as the input we get. That's also the only way it will work on art that hasn't seen enough or many public sales (private sales count if others find it believable and something they would pay themselves).  So, I encourage everyone to question anything that seems high or low and let others then chime in.  Then I move it up or down, or keep it where it is based on the responses.

Hari, you MUST be doing a good job and hitting pretty close to the mark considering the relatively minimal level of list members responses. I interpret a lack of pushback and debate as an indication that this thing is pretty solid. I will make this one personal caveat...if I am offered a true A level page (not A+ mind you, but a true A to me), I am pretty much always willing to pay the upper end of the price ranges listed. So if something offered in the 5-10k tier is a solid A level page, I'll easily go 10k and probably a bit more. I'd rather not, and it might not be the prudent play, but real A level pages are pretty rare and passion will often win out over financial prudence. At least that's my gut feeling.

Edited by stinkininkin

9 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

If anyone is selling an A level Paul Smith page for 5-10k let me know. I will take it.. maybe multiple! Thanks

Yeah, but would you take multiple pages at $9,999? Because that's a lot different than taking multiple pages at $5-6K.  There may not be many/any A-level Smith X-Men pages available at the lower end of the $5-10K range anymore.  But, there are probably not any A pages at the upper end of the $10-$20K range either (those few that would sell at that price would more realistically be called A+++ pages).  The reality is that PMS UXM, like several/numerous others on the list, is probably straddling the line between two categories - either at the high end of the lower bracket or the low end of the higher bracket.

I think in a lot of cases here, people are glomming on to sales of extraordinary examples, or things that certain people are dying to acquire and would pay over the odds for (but, which are not necessarily indicative of generalized fair market value). In fact, me and Hari were on a Zoom call last night with a friend/Boardie who said he thought some of these prices on the list were too low because he's itching to pick up certain examples and would pay more for them than the prices on this list.  But, the problem is, if you take him - literally one person - out of the equation, those higher price levels very well may no longer be realistic.  Not every good BWS Weapon X page is going to be $60K+ and not every good Larsen ASM page is going to be $30K+ even though there have been recent sales there of both, which is why putting them in the next tier down makes sense, IMO. 

I think we have to strike a balance here and recognize that there can and will be deviances from these levels - both higher and lower - depending on the quality of the piece in question and who may be willing to pay over market in the near-term to get an example. :preach: 

Edited by delekkerste

9 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, but would you take multiple pages at $9,999? Or are you thinking more like $5-6K?  There may not be many/any A-level Smith X-Men pages available at $5K anymore...but how many pages are realistically in the $15-20K range (for A pages, mind you, not A+++)?  The reality is that it's probably something that is straddling the line between the two brackets - it's either at the high end of the former or the low end of the latter.

I would take one for sure on the High end of the tier it is in.. like I stated earlier I paid 4k for a lovely page of Scott and Madelyn in no costume sharing a quiet moment.. I love the page and to be honest i was very happy to get it - I admit I have only been collecting for 2 years and it is only the second page I have ever seen offered for sale in any format of that run. With JRJR first run pages breaking 4k at auction over the last few pages - I firmly believe that the small revered smith run on uncanny for a costumed main character some action would be much more likely to break 10k then stay under. 

11 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I would take one for sure on the High end of the tier it is in.. like I stated earlier I paid 4k for a lovely page of Scott and Madelyn in no costume sharing a quiet moment.. I love the page and to be honest i was very happy to get it - I admit I have only been collecting for 2 years and it is only the second page I have ever seen offered for sale in any format of that run. With JRJR first run pages breaking 4k at auction over the last few pages - I firmly believe that the small revered smith run on uncanny for a costumed main character some action would be much more likely to break 10k then stay under. 

I don't have a problem keeping it at $10-20K...but people should be aware that we are likely talking about the very low end of the range for generic A pages.  As with everything, though, true A+ pages can end up just about anywhere these days. 

Edited by delekkerste

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I don't have a problem keeping it at $10-20K...but people should be aware that we are likely talking about the very low end of the range for generic A pages.  As with everything, though, true A+ pages can end up just about anywhere these days. 

Agree 100% on this.. I was speaking on the 5-10k range being a tough find.