• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Show Reviews....................

31 posts in this topic

"Great bargain prices on back issues"?

What show are you attending?

Anyway, Big Apple has been around for years. I've been going since the days the show has been at the church, and I haven't seen a lot of improvements, but I have seen some escalating costs. Is $10 unreasonable? Probably not. At least for NY it's probably not. Should show admission for a "local" Big Apple really be $10 -- if they could find a better and cheaper venue (I mean heck, the church basement was a better venue AND it was cheaper) probably not, but it's liveable.

Should Mike and co. be running three day $15 a day shows twice a year of their say 5 or 6 shows -- Absolutely not.

Incidentally, Wizard, from my understanding, wanted to come -- but got beat out at the Javitz center by the Geppi group. I am hoping that show will be run better and will create the kind of well run con that the Big Apple has failed to provide. The problem is the management currently running it to be quite honest. You're led by Carbonaro who quite honestly seems always strapped for cash and is constantly running around to the dealers to nail them down for table fees at the next show. He's also not entirely honest with them always. I can't imagine this causes altruism and friendliness.

Also, the nastygram Karen was kind enough to send along to me speaks volumes about the amount of "professionalism" that runs that joint. They never responded to any of the constructive criticism I offered afterwards, and I refrained from the name calling that they simply couldn't resist. I continue to go to Big Apples to support the dealers who set up.

Nothing would make me happier than to see there be two cons every year in New York only: A successful one run by Geppi, and the National (probably should be run by another group, but whatever).

Bottom line? I hope for a successful show, and with the current people running it (they're not exactly new to this) I don't see it happening any time soon.

Geppi? I think you mean Reed Exhibitions.

Reed Exhibitions, the world’s largest organizer of business-to-business events, has announced the launch of New York Comic-Con, a new trade as well as consumer event, which will focus on comics and all matters relating to comics and associated fields including graphic novels, manga, anime, games, film, television, toys, videogames and licensing rights. The event will take place annually in New York City and will be designed to attract the loyal fan and avid collector, while also providing a business to business environment for comicbook retailers, chain and independent booksellers, mass merchandisers, toy stores, libraries, and rights and licensing professionals. New York Comic-Con will take place at the Jacob K. Javits Center and will be open to the trade only on February 24, 2006 and to the trade and the public on February 25 and 26, 2006. For more information, visit reedexpo.com.

Web Address: http://reedexpo.com

Dude, I just love comics. It is obvious you are not alone with your views of the event, I have heard this from others (small press and fans). I just beleive that it will become the event everyone wants in NY.

I hear you when you say how high the fees are, but take into consideration the cost of getting these names in the event. The Millers, and the Lee's. Big A is eating travel and lodging for these guys and the celebrity guests as well.

The cost for the space and security, electricity, house keeping, etc. I feel your pain and do want to see NY's events get better and more cost effective for all, but I also have to understand the other guys side of it.

Reed can handle big events because they have the capitol to do so. They have their hands in other markets which allow them to take the ball and run with it. Hey, I appreciate and respect anyone who even attempts to put on a show in New York.

And the bargain back issue's, DUDE, every Big Apple I walk away with two dozen or more books I've been after at great prices.

Maybe we're after different books. For the books I want, it's basically the same I can get offered to me at any time at any major show pretty much anywhere.

Look, the problem is, Big Apple does not routinely bring in Miller or Jim Lee. If they did, I could understand the justification. You water down the novelty when you have Neal Adams at every show. If you are going to pay for all these artists to come in, bring people who will draw others in. Do you know how frustrated I've heard fans get when artists don't show? And the real problem I've heard from some of the creators is that Carbo puts them on as attending when they specifically TELL HIM TENATIVE, so they don't show.

It's run poorly. Period. That's the problem. If you changed how the show was run, if you brought in Adams for the National only in New York, then perhaps had a big headlining guest at the Big Apple and only paid for the one guest or another hot artist, then fine. The problem is, having the Rich Bucklers or the world (who's a nice guy) or even Steranko (who's cool, but costly and standing by himself usually) or trying to tell me you're paying for anything other than a top tier artist, then it's a waste of money.

And there are plenty of other problems. The venue is great convenience wise, but it's not so good in terms of the interior. I'm not sure who planned the floor layout... seems like some parts are jammed and others are more open.

Regardless, here's the deal, I go to Big Apples to support the New York comic scene, and one of the things that would make the New York comic scene a whole lot better is not the dissolution of the Big Apple, but somebody different running it --or simply fixing some of these problems.