• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Bronze Age Covers That Haven't Hit Batman 251 or 227 Status, But Deserve Some More Recognition (And Are Not Keys or Semis For Reasons Other Than Their Cover)
1 1

150 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, the blob said:

That's a good one. A minor key, semi, as her first solo book, but one that was ignored for a long time as I got several out of dollar boxes

I think it’s still largely ignored. They need to stick her in a movie! :insane:

5 minutes ago, Jayman said:

I think it’s still largely ignored. They need to stick her in a movie! :insane:

Not THAT ignored:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dc-Super-stars-Of-Magic-11-Zatanna-App-/353273624132?hash=item5240bfb644%3Ag%3AxTMAAOSwKIhfrKNK&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

She is big in the justice league dark cartoons that I have now been watching on HBO Max (wonder woman 84 did accomplish something, we figured out how to upload that app!)

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

Not THAT ignored:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dc-Super-stars-Of-Magic-11-Zatanna-App-/353273624132?hash=item5240bfb644%3Ag%3AxTMAAOSwKIhfrKNK&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

She is big in the justice league dark cartoons that I have now been watching on HBO Max (wonder woman 84 did accomplish something, we figured out how to upload that app!)

Nice! Yeah Justice League Dark was what made me think of her. A live action Zatanna would be better though! (thumbsu

Edited by Jayman

4 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Nice! Yeah Justice League Dark was what made me think of her. A live action Zatanna would be better though! (thumbsu

They have to have someone absolutely stunning playing the part though. like Monica Bellucci 20 years ago hot.

9 minutes ago, Jayman said:

If you’re including mags, this is a classic!

Vampire Tales Annual # 1.JPG

yeah, we'll probably get a lot of mags here, I was lamenting on the magazine page how mag classic covers are ignored

Yeah, I might have messed up including mags, because between the warren books, the skywald's, the curtis mags, savage sword and, heck, some Mad Magazines and even Cracked, there are dozens if not hundreds of killer covers

12 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Madame Xanadu is a fun character and this Kaluta cover is one of his best IMO

image.thumb.jpeg.3a5632fe347357a91d050ee91d658195.jpeg

Also as a fan of Spidey, this Bronze Age ish is one I will think screams 70s and is great to look at.

image.jpeg.9bcec78c603504edbb1df6c7ac3ca3da.jpeg

Kaluta (along with issue #1) are definite candidates ... I like the composition of Peter Parker 7 a lot, just wish it was better executed

It's kind of interesting. At least excluding magazines, DC probably had more really grabbing comic covers (probably because they employed adams, wrightson, kaluta, and few other artists more often). But while not always as great artistically, Marvel's covers were often much more dynamic and made you think the story inside was going to be jam packed fun and well worth you pocket change. Or at least that's what it felt like as a kid. That changed a bit when Perez started doing those NTT covers. He brought the marvel feel to them, that the book inside was going to be a fun ride. I guess it is all subjective. I had no interest in reading any DC books (unless they were in a treasury teamed up with a Marvel character!) until Perez's NTT.