• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Novice Collector Asking Opinions

17 posts in this topic

I am a novice collector. I own zero pages that don’t include Disney Ducks, Green Arrow, or Two Face. Until now that is. I just bought this Jackson Guice page from Doctor Strange 15 (the Amy Grant cover) featuring Strange vs Morbius on a whim. I couldn’t find a lot of completed sales on Guice Strange pages but I figured this COULD be a $400 page to the right buyer. Hoping the movies make the characters a tad more popular and make it more desirable. Thoughts? 

D0595B13-E9C0-4482-BA1C-3E94246B41D6.jpeg

I don't know the Guice or Dr. Strange market but a quick search of completed auctions show a couple of Guice Dr. Strange panel pages that sold for 350 to 375 from 2017 to 2019, so this could be a $400 page today.

Malvin

The Guice market is bafflingly soft imo, as are the artists in that vein.
If you're buying it with eyes toward flipping you may be in for a long wait for a short gain.

I think the films have a short term effect on collecting if at all. They do however seem to spawn a huge uptick in commissions for the characters in said films.

I was at a Con the weekend Logan was released and that's all anyone seemed to be asking for. I had the same experience when Black Panther was released.

Just out of curiosity, would you other borders consider this a page to have a quarter-page splash with 4 regular panels, or a page with 5 miniature splashes? Does anyone consider a page with a full width horizontal panel with less than 25% of the page a splash at all?

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Just out of curiosity, would you other borders consider this a page to have a quarter-page splash with 4 regular panels, or a page with 5 miniature splashes? Does anyone consider a page with a full width horizontal panel with less than 25% of the page a splash at all?

I'd call it a panel page. Yeah, one is a little bigger, but not what I consider a splash.

The angle is too weird to be sure, for marketing hype, it might be considered (at best) a "1/3 splash", the term doesn't impress me.  You proposed the page it could be a $400 page to the right buyer.  Maybe.  I'm not really a Morbius or Dr Strange fan.  To me, it's drawn well and Guice is a good (even great) artist.  But among a pile of other $400 pages, I'm not sure if this page would stand out.

Anyone know what happened to the cover ??  Given the premise of the lawsuit (associating Amy Grant with the occult), I would assume the art would have to be turned over for destruction.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Applying the term "splash" to anything smaller than a half-splash makes the term unhelpful. Watchmen is a string of 1/9 page splashes!

30 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Anyone know what happened to the cover ??  Given the premise of the lawsuit (associating Amy Grant with the occult), I would assume the art would have to be turned over for destruction.

I'd always assumed that Amy's face wasn't drawn, but added mechanically (photoshop or whatever). Was it really on the board?

1 hour ago, RBerman said:

Applying the term "splash" to anything smaller than a half-splash makes the term unhelpful. Watchmen is a string of 1/9 page splashes!

I have seen people advertise 1/3 and 1/4 splashes. I think it depends on content: is it designed to make a “splash” or only show what is going on.

Edited by Rick2you2

8 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I just looks like the photo to me so I assumed mechanical means.

StrangeGrant.jpg

Oh yes, that cover was all the scandal when it came out. Guice's cover for  used Christian music singer Amy Grant's likeness without her permission, which lead to her management filing a complaint against Marvel Comics. They claimed the cover gave the appearance she was associating with witchcraft.

A US District Court sealed an out-of-court settlement between Grant and Marvel in early 1991, with a consent decree that Marvel did not admit to any liability or wrongdoing.