• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st time grader Amazing Spider-Man #55 Variant and condition Question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello, so i am trying to get 3 of my brand new Amazing Spider-Man #55 Patrick Gleason copies graded. Yet i have a few questions, I know there are different variants and I have the basic cover it is not signed nor is it the virgin variant.  (1.) So for variant do i just put "Patrick Gleason" or "Trade Dress", or what should i put. Since theres none graded i have no idea what to put. (2.) 2 of them have these knick or wear marks yet they are brand new, never even taken out of the plastic. Will that effect the grade? I read somewhere about Binding issues like it will not effect the grade yet I think the top one would be okay if that is correct but the one under it is pretty bad (Included photos). (3.) Last question I am trying to get the spider man special label yet i dont see the option anywhere and even looked where i selected the type of grading i want based on the price of comic? I am sending in a separate (none marvel) comic is that why? do they all have to be a marvel comic sent in for it to show? 

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 2.39.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 2.41.05 AM.png

If you want even remotely reasonable answers about condition, take them out of the sleeves and take some pictures, carefully of course.

if you’re the kind of person who thinks just because you put them in a sleeve right away the books are automatically in pristine condition, you are absolutely wrong, and probably don’t understand enough about comics to be doing Cgc submitting yet (unless money means nothing to you, in which case congrats!). Check the book for damage and estimate the grade yourself.  

scuffs and markings and corner damage can be deducted, unless the grader believes they are damage related to the original printing and production.

for the special label, lookup “the amazing Spider-Man” and “amazing spiderman”, one of them works, can’t remember which one

for these, use the modern tier. You can submit nonmarvel with marvel. 

it may benefit you to contact Cgc directly and have them walk you through your first order

the year has changed, so they retired the spider-man label. That's why you don't see it. Also, the two copies you posted are not in a condition I would deem good enough to send to CGC. They are worth as much slabbed as not slabbed in that condition so you are essentially losing 40$ per comic.

To the person wanting to have their comics graded, I would suggest that you go to ebay, click on some graded books from 9.8 back to perhaps 6.0 for condition, and check the corners and appearance with your own.

Then go from there.  

38 minutes ago, Aardvarks said:

To the person wanting to have their comics graded, I would suggest that you go to ebay, click on some graded books from 9.8 back to perhaps 6.0 for condition, and check the corners and appearance with your own.

Then go from there.  

+1