• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Richard Lupoff RIP

12 posts in this topic

I was reading the Gardner Fox biography last night and a reference to Rich Lupoff made me want to do a quick web search.  I had seen him a couple of years ago at the Glendale Paperback show and got a chance to thank him for putting together All in Color for a Dime and also had him sign my dog eared paperback copy bought back in the seventies. He was a gracious man and looked spry for his age.

Anyway I was saddened to see he had passed away this past October.  I don’t recall seeing it mentioned on the board but I could have missed it. Anyway; I thought other boardies who found his anthology an entry point into the history of comics would appreciate knowing and sharing any remembrances.

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I also had the pleasure of meeting Rich at that show. Had him sign my copies as well. Very gracious guy. I told him how influential his book was to me and how much it made me seek out the GA books from my father’s era. 

RIP sir...

2B99564A-D321-4C15-B472-9AD9290813D6.jpeg

That photo on the Writer magazine on the lower right of Captain Marvel is Lupoff and his wife as Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel at an early SF convention as I recall. Can't remember where I first saw that photo and it certainly wasn't in color!

Never met Richard but was thankful for his contributions to comic fandom.  My favorite project was his novel, The Comic Book Killer, that was published with an additional mini-comic created by Alex Schomburg and Trina Robbins.  The slipcase version was signed by Richard and Alex.

50265738437_298587cb58_b.jpg

50856521261_7814e152e2_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

16 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That photo on the Writer magazine on the lower right of Captain Marvel is Lupoff and his wife as Captain Marvel and Mary Marvel at an early SF convention as I recall. Can't remember where I first saw that photo and it certainly wasn't in color!

I remembered seeing the Lupoff Captain Marvel in an early issue of Alter Ego.  I found a page in Alter Ego 5 published by Ron Foss.

Lupoff.jpg

I had picked up the paperback All in Color for a Dime when published in the seventies but found a copy of the hardback on ebay.

The back of the hardback dust cover is shown below with a list of articles taken from his Xero fanzine.

50858979423_672dbc519d_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

23 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

Never met Richard but was thankful for his contributions to comic fandom.  My favorite project was his novel, The Comic Book Killer, that was published with an additional mini-comic created by Alex Schomburg and Trina Robbins.  The slipcase version was signed by Richard and Alex.

50265738437_298587cb58_b.jpg

50856521261_7814e152e2_b.jpg

By the way, Lupoff wrote a series of novels, murder mysteries, that were related to nostalgia and collecting.

4 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I also picked up the collection of articles from his fanzine, Xero.

50859670042_6a115e9ca5_o.jpg

I loved the various fanzines in the seventies and even put one out myself. I still have a pile of old ones stashed somewhere that I managed to pick up at flea markets and shows back then. Of course today this has all moved to the internet so the thrill of getting a new fanzine in the mail is something no longer relevant. I still look for reasonably priced copies at shows and every now and then you find something fun for just a few bucks!

20 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I loved the various fanzines in the seventies and even put one out myself. I still have a pile of old ones stashed somewhere that I managed to pick up at flea markets and shows back then. Of course today this has all moved to the internet so the thrill of getting a new fanzine in the mail is something no longer relevant. I still look for reasonably priced copies at shows and every now and then you find something fun for just a few bucks!

I still have most of my fanzines that I purchased in the sixties and added a few in the past 20 years. The only fanzines I have seen out in the wild were a bunch at an antique store in New Jersey.  Unfortunately, the owners wouldn't sell to me and said they weren't sure of the value and they saved the fanzines for another dealer/collector.  I picked up some other stuff and moved on.  Many of the comics found in the shop were from the collection of Ira Fegley.  Perhaps the fanzines and ERB books were from the same guy.  I also found ads from Alan LIght at the shop.

4326146095_b8304713a4_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

4 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I still have most of my fanzines that I purchased in the sixties and added a few in the past 20 years. The only fanzines I have seen out in the wild were a bunch at an antique store in New Jersey.  Unfortunately, the owners wouldn't sell to me and said they weren't sure of the value and they saved the fanzines for another dealer/collector.  I picked up some other stuff and moved on.  Many of the comics found in the shop were from the collection of Ira Fegley.  Perhaps the fanzines and ERB books were from the same guy.  I also found ads from Alan LIght at the shop.

The oddest "in the wild" buy I made was a stack of the Thompson's mimeographed Newfangles fanzines at an outdoor table at the Englishtown NJ flea market sometime in the seventies. Cool find and I still have them all stashed somewhere.