• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got it! My Modest Grail: Detective Comics 359 (5.0)
1 1

7 posts in this topic

What few posts I have made on this board (thanks for putting up with me) were asking for help via spare grades or availability of mid grade copies of Detective Comics 359.

For the most part, people were very helpful. I am happy to say I finally found a nice looking mid grade copy within my price range.

It's 5.0, but I have it in my hands and it looks great for a book from 1967. As far as I can tell, it would be a few notches higher if not for the pharmacy store stamp in the middle. I actually like this stamp, I find it adds character and isn't too distracting... The stamp helps me imagine some kid buying this for the cover price in Kentucky back in the 60's, and I find it amusing that pharmacies and newsstands did stamp comics on occassion. I actually had the possibility of paying the same price for several 5.5's, but I truly felt this one was the prettier book by a fairly wide margin. 

Thanks for everyone's help. I am on a budget, and more of an original art guy, but next up on my list for comics are Green Arrow/Green Lantern 85 (speedy drug issue) and Hawkman 4 (1st app. Of Zatanna).

Babs is my favorite comic character from the big two, so I am so pleased to finally have her debut. Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

IMG_20200926_125625160.jpg

IMG_20200926_125555748.jpg

IMG_20200926_125609161.jpg

IMG_20200926_125613514_MP.jpg

IMG_20200926_125619697.jpg

IMG_20200926_125605024.jpg

Edited by babsrocks31
Fixed a typo

27 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Nice book.  I don't think the date stamp affected the grade any.  

You could be right as I am a bit of a noob when it comes to grading. I held a 6.0 in my hands too, and it looked very similar to this one. The date stamp was the only real difference maker I could notice, but of course I am far from a professional grader.

The 5.5's I was being offered were much rougher looking (couple more creases and more noticeable spine and corner wear), though they were nice enough.

I did feel a bit strange opting for the lower grade, but I put a lot of thought into it before choosing.

Edited by babsrocks31

This is one of, if not the best books of the Silver Age - story and art.

I love the store stamp (not a date stamp unless I'm not seeing the date).  It pinpoints exactly where this book was initially sold.  If it DID have a date stamp that would be even better.

When I pick up an old comic, I always wonder:  who originally bought it; where was it bought; why did they buy it.  This stamp answers one of those questions. 

Cograts on getting your grail. It's a great book! 

I agree with the other posters. I don't think the stamp impacted the grade and I love seeing store stamps and date stamps! 

It just adds to the books story. 

Also, nice job buying the book you wanted instead of the grade you wanted. We are all suspectable to being infatuated with the little # on the case, but the book is really what's important!