• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the word on the street about conventions this year ?

56 posts in this topic

I will be very surprised if we see them come back this summer, but oh do I miss them! Maybe later in the year though with more vaccinations being distributed over the next few months.

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 minute ago, Chazgee said:

I'm hopeful for a few Autumn Cons, especially NYCC, but realistically it'll probably be 2022 before we see them in full swing again.

Why then? What is going to change between now and then? Will the corona be irradicated in 2022? Corona is a thing and it will always exist now. Million years of human existence and it showed up last March somehow. Its not a plague that comes and goes throughout the years, its a sickness that like Aids is always going to exist.  So what is going to change between now and the end of time that is going to make the governments of the world say "ok take off your masks and resume everything like before"? I'm just trying to understand peoples logic because I've seen a lot of statements like yours. We've been forced to live like this for a year now. I'm trying to figure out what people think is going to change that will make things go back to how they were when we went to shows without worrying that the person next to us breathe is going to kill us.

10 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

You certainly have a lot to say, for someone who doesn't want to get into a debate. 

I'll pass.

I don't want to debate. And I won't here. I just wanted an answer from anyone as to what is going to change to allow comic shows to come back in the summer or the fall or next year or whenever. Trying to understand how people , not just here but all over, come to those predictions. Thats all.

Edited by Professor Chaos

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

Why then? What is going to change between now and then? Will the corona be irradicated in 2022? Corona is a thing and it will always exist now. Million years of human existence and it showed up last March somehow. Its not a plague that comes and goes throughout the years, its a sickness that like Aids is always going to exist.  So what is going to change between now and the end of time that is going to make the governments of the world say "ok take off your masks and resume everything like before"? I'm just trying to understand peoples logic because I've seen a lot of statements like yours. We've been forced to live like this for a year now. I'm trying to figure out what people think is going to change that will make things go back to how they were when we went to shows without worrying that the person next to us breathe is going to kill us.

I just feel confident once the vaccine rolls out to a large enough amount of the population, hopefully over the next 2-3 months, society will begin to gain herd immunity and we’ll start to go back to some semblance of normality.

I think Wonder Con is dead in the water, also SDCC..the reason being even if you get the vaccine{ and by the way I got yesterday and have to wait 28 days for shot #2}it takes a month to the second shot and that still does not mean you cannot get the virus but mitigate its effects and I predict a supplemental shot down the road hitting any  varriants  , I just don't see this coming together until Nov of this year. When Disneyland opens in CALIF should give a clue as to when some small conventions should be able to make a comeback.I see a very strong year for Auction houses, E-bay and direct collector to dealer record  sales. But when are far from over this, kind of still in the beginning, the real test is gonna be when we start paying all that money which has and  gonna printed back and its inflationary effect on our economy

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:

What you're saying is factually inaccurate. The numbers you cite are not correct--they radically underestimate how many people in the U.S. contract this disease, and suffer serious harm from it. By contrast, the vaccines have shown to be very effective, making it possible for people to gather in large groups without having to worry about contracting this disease which has killed 400k Americans, and seriously harmed many more, and as someone who, if he contracts the disease, is at higher risk, that matters to me. Furthermore, you misrepresent what has been said in such a way as to demonstrate a paranoid mind more akin to conspiracy theories than reasoned analysis. "People stop putting up with it" is an insane thing to want, coming on the heels of an attempted violent coup--and to want it over restrictions designed to stem the tide of a dangerous pandemic is even worse.

From what's been said, yes, you can still get COVID after being vaccinated.  Vaccination is but one tool against the spread of the virus.  We still have to practice social distancing; mask wearing; and hand washing.

All of this is even more so critical as we now have two mutations (South Africa and UK) that appear to be more virulent than the original.  It's not fully understood yet how current vaccines will work against these new variants.

You can bet that if there are now two mutations that there will be more.  That's what viruses do.

Edited by pemart1966

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

From what's been said, yes, you can still get COVID after being vaccinated.  Vaccination is but one tool against the spread of the virus.  We still have to practice social distancing; mask wearing; and hand washing.

(thumbsu