• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

File Copies of Comics

21 posts in this topic

I think I have a good grasp on what file copies are.  I had a few football cards that are considered "file copies". So, basically this is a comic that the publisher kept on file for whatever purpose.  Are these considered more or less valuable than there non-file copy counterparts is there a considerable market for them, and are they usually at a premium over regular copies?

It all depends on the condition of the item.

Some file copies are still in amazing condition and garner a premium. Some file copies are only in average condition and typically align in value to non file copy versions.

I'm sure there are collectors who specialize in file copies that may place a premium on them, but condition/grade seems to be the key to determine market value.

-bc

I have never owned one because the few I've seen for sale have been outside my collecting interest

When they have come to market I've been surprised to see the pricing isn't too far out of line with a regular copy. 

I would love to hear from others on this topic. Personally, I would pay a premium if it had proper province and could be proven to be a file copy. 

9 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I have never owned one because the few I've seen for sale have been outside my collecting interest

When they have come to market I've been surprised to see the pricing isn't too far out of line with a regular copy. 

I would love to hear from others on this topic. Personally, I would pay a premium if it had proper province and could be proven to be a file copy. 

The few I have seen have been slabbed as such with a notation of a Crowley provenance.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:
33 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

The few I have seen have been slabbed as such with a notation of a Crowley provenance.

Crowley is a pedigree. Comcis with a pedigree designation and comics that are file copies are two different animals. 

Gaines was the publisher... but he was a hands on publisher who released some of the most noteworthy comics in the history of the medium. He saved a dozen copies of almost every issue he published for posterity. You should google the Gaines File Copy topic. I would love to own one someday. Some File copies are confused with warehoused overstock, they are not the same. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

19 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Below is one from an upcoming C-link auction.  To me it's beautiful and has a provenance of one of the writers of the book.

image.thumb.png.839a86e74fb7a9d86220d03be7238a90.png

You have a good eye  (thumbsu

That is a gorgeous example for a 70 year old book. Many of the Gaines File Copies are some of the premiere copies in existence. Gaines wasn't just the writer, he was the Publisher of EC Comics and the story goes that he stashed away about 12 copies of every book during his tenure.

-bc

Real Harvey File Copies are beaters.  Harvey Publications essentially had a check-out library of comics that their authors and artists could use for reference.  They stapled a library card to the book for identification.  The copy below is no longer in my collection, but it was very fragile due to all the handling (spine totally split).  You can see the staple hole where the label was attached to the cover.

Wartime 16 (1).JPG

9 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I think I have a good grasp on what file copies are.  I had a few football cards that are considered "file copies". So, basically this is a comic that the publisher kept on file for whatever purpose.  Are these considered more or less valuable than there non-file copy counterparts is there a considerable market for them, and are they usually at a premium over regular copies?

Them being a file copy does not give them a premium, no. However, because a file copy was not read by a kid back in the 40s, they are usually in better shape than other copies, that's what makes them interesting to collectors. It's all about the condition. 

There are a lot of issues of Four Color comics and the television characters that sprung from them from the Random House archives of Dell and Gold Key.  Some issues have quite a few file copies, others don't.  Generally, my impression is they sell for roughly the same as non-file copies in the same condition.

image.thumb.png.eaa94c81473d643a8215048d6c335a2d.png

image.thumb.png.ff96902d79bb1140ecbc79920b080438.png

Edited by namisgr

On 2/4/2021 at 10:55 AM, shadroch said:

Tell that to the suckers, I mean collectors who paid stupid money for Stan Lees file copies.

What is it I need to know?  :cry:lol