• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AS 8 continues to nose dive
2 2

86 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:
On 2/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, batman_fan said:

It will be interesting to see how the Sensation 1 coming up on CLINK does.

Sensation1_8p5.jpg

Expand  

160,000. Up 28,000 since 16 months ago. If the person who bought it then was the seller now, which most likely they were, I'd say they broke about even. If it was me I'd have held on to it a bit longer.

Well, it's quite possible that the consignor thought the Wonder Woman 1984 would be another huge hit pushing the book further up in value.  hm

With all of the bad reviews and negative fan feedback, they probably figure it was probably better to cut bait before the book goes down any further once the economy reopens back up.  If so, it looks like he managed to at least come out about $12K to the positive or just over a 9% rate of return over his original purchase price of $132,000 which is still better than a loss at least.  :applause:

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it's quite possible that the consignor thought the Wonder Woman 1984 would be another huge hit pushing the book further up in value.  hm

With all of the bad reviews and negative fan feedback, they probably figure it was probably better to cut bait before the book goes down any further once the economy reopens back up.  If so, it looks like he managed to at least come out about $12K to the positive or just over a 9% rate of return over his original purchase price of $132,000 which is still better than a loss at least.  :applause:

Very possible. But we all know that movie releases and reviews are just mere bumps in the road. A mere bag of shells.  Long term that book that nice has a bright future. I guess the consignor wanted to make the quick sale and move on to something else. I bet the new owner is very happy. 

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It closed at 160k which implies a 21% rate of return in just 15 months, commissions aside

Edited by Northwest

6 hours ago, ChillMan said:

I see 3 different All Star #8's in CGC 4.0 that sold on Heritage in 2020:

Slightly brittle pages for $36,000 in April.

Cream/off-white pages for $31,200 in July.

Off-white pages for $34,800 in November.

Oh good catch. Well, that seems like reason enough to assume the pq had little or nothing to do with that sale. Maybe AS8 is just taking a nose dive as the thread states haha.

1 minute ago, ChillMan said:

The book went up in value, which is good for the seller.  But with Heritage's 25% fee, he's only taking-home $120,000.  A loss of $12,000.

Not quite. The book was originally purchased at Heritage on 11/21/19 for 132k including the buyers premium. It was sold yesterday for 160k on ComicLink who has a 10% commission. So the book value increased 21% and the buyer realized a 9% gain after fees. 

11 minutes ago, Northwest said:

Not quite. The book was originally purchased at Heritage on 11/21/19 for 132k including the buyers premium. It was sold yesterday for 160k on ComicLink who has a 10% commission. So the book value increased 21% and the buyer realized a 9% gain after fees. 

I was just deleting my comment as you quoted it LOL....I accidently used the Heritage fee instead of Comiclink.

On 2/7/2021 at 8:40 AM, ChillMan said:

Not appearing on the cover is BETTER, not worse.  It's more rare and more interesting to find hidden gems in the back pages that went on to be successful.  Instead of hyped up from the start.  Action #1 runs into the problem of having Superman's first printed image being in More Fun #31.

this makes NO sense. nobody was hoarding WW cover apperances in 1940 or whatever. that's not what people were doing. people weren't collecting comics like that, yes, a few people may have chased superman 1 as a keepsake based on the success in action comics (an very unclear if anyone who did actually kept a copy long term). IN FACT, I'd imagine a fair number of little boys might not have bought the comic were she featured prominently on the cover and it might be rarer.

On 2/26/2021 at 4:33 AM, Professor Chaos said:

Very possible. But we all know that movie releases and reviews are just mere bumps in the road. A mere bag of shells.  Long term that book that nice has a bright future. I guess the consignor wanted to make the quick sale and move on to something else. I bet the new owner is very happy. 

I have difficulty imagining the ww84 movie meant anything to this GA key. she's already an established character in the DCU movie pantheon. they're not cutting her out of movies any time soon. i could see the movie getting panned impacting cheetah appearances and them going back to pre movie hype, although she's not dead and she still has her powers. or when gal gadot starts looking her age and they have to recast and the next WW is not perfect. fact is, if not for covid the movie would have hit theatres, would have made a chunk of money, even with the reviews. suicide squad got lousy reviews, was a bad (but entertaining enough) movie, and made enough money to justify a sequal and a harley quinn movie. 

Edited by the blob

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I don't buy this at all. This movie did not do so badly that Wonder Woman is being dropped from movies. Criminey, they're making a WW 3 and it probably won't be as cheesey. As per my other post, I am very dubious that specific movies really impact this sort of book all that much. People buying this book are high end collectors who aren't thinking like this.

20 hours ago, the blob said:

this makes NO sense. nobody was hoarding WW cover apperances in 1940 or whatever. that's not what people were doing. people weren't collecting comics like that, yes, a few people may have chased superman 1 as a keepsake based on the success in action comics (an very unclear if anyone who did actually kept a copy long term). IN FACT, I'd imagine a fair number of little boys might not have bought the comic were she featured prominently on the cover and it might be rarer.

I was responding comments that I think make NO sense.....saying that a 1st appearance is less desirable without a cover appearance.  That's like saying we should hang our most valuable comics on the walls of our livingrooms instead of keeping them in safety-deposit boxes.

A less hyped 1st appearance in the back pages does indeed avoid the 'problem' of ad & cameo appearances that pre-date the 'official' 1st appearance.

45 minutes ago, ChillMan said:

I was responding comments that I think make NO sense.....saying that a 1st appearance is less desirable without a cover appearance.  That's like saying we should hang our most valuable comics on the walls of our livingrooms instead of keeping them in safety-deposit boxes.

A less hyped 1st appearance in the back pages does indeed avoid the 'problem' of ad & cameo appearances that pre-date the 'official' 1st appearance.

people like to see the 1sts on the cover. and some people do display the comics, with protective glass, etc. not that this is not a cool cover with all those great characters on it. but no, i disagree with you, the book would go for more were WW featured on the cover, maybe not significantly more, true.

Edited by the blob

59 minutes ago, the blob said:

people like to see the 1sts on the cover. and some people do display the comics, with protective glass, etc. not that this is not a cool cover with all those great characters on it. but no, i disagree with you, the book would go for more were WW featured on the cover, maybe not significantly more, true.

Here is a perfect concrete example.

World's Finest 3, 1st appearance of scarecrow versus Detective 73 only GA Scarecrow cover.  Someone can fact check me on this, but Detective 73 sells for more the World's Finest.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.49.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.50.33 AM.png

5 hours ago, ChillMan said:

I was responding comments that I think make NO sense.....saying that a 1st appearance is less desirable without a cover appearance. 

When it comes to comic books, believe me that cover appearance makes a big difference in terms of a book's valuation, especially in this day and age of slabbed comic books where all you really see are just the front and back covers only.  :preach:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Here is a perfect concrete example.

World's Finest 3, 1st appearance of scarecrow versus Detective 73 only GA Scarecrow cover.  Someone can fact check me on this, but Detective 73 sells for more the World's Finest.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.49.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.50.33 AM.png

yeah, i agree, but that feels like not the best example,  worlds finest usually seems to sell for less than action or detectives from similar years generally and that WF cover is particularly lame whereas the tec cover has a lot going on for it

35 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

When it comes to comic books, believe me that cover appearance makes a big difference in terms of a book's valuation, especially in this day and age of slabbed comic books where all you really see are just the front and back covers only.  :preach:

How much more would this book be worth if SubMariner were on the cover?

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 1.55.59 PM.png