• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever heard of, seen, or know of any Schomburg original art covers (or even pages) from his classic Timely period?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

There's apparently a lot more Timely Kirby interior art than Schomburg covers.  I have no idea how much is still around, but I've seen some nice Kirby Cap pages posted.

How many pages per issue did Kirby do on the timely books?   It seems to me that in just a few issues he may have done more pages for Timely than Schomburg did covers for Timely, total.

I.e. maybe there are just more around because he did more to start with?    

Edited by Bronty

It looks like Joe & Nadia Mannarino may have been prior owners of the Human Torch 16 Schomburg cover or, at least, it was consigned through their former auction site (All-Star Auctions) pre-Heritage (not shocking since most quality original art has passed through them over the years)

Here is  a snapshot showing the cover on their former All-Star site:

http://allstarauc.com/items.html

31 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I like his Timely work best, but he also drew covers for Nedor, right? and Holyoke, and a few others.

If I had to guess in order from most covers created to fewest I'd guess:

Pines>Timely>Harvey>Temerson>Archie

As far as what's survived I think it's Harvey>Timely and I haven't heard of any of the others surviving.

1 hour ago, buttock said:

Yeah, but are there any others?  :baiting:

haha ha hahahaha. If anyone read what I wrote my question was is there also any Shomburg original art. I understand its the only cover but is there any original art meaning pages as well. But now I officially retract my question because I don't think I could handle being laughed at again. I'm very fragile that way.

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I like his Timely work best, but he also drew covers for Nedor, right? and Holyoke, and a few others.

Yeah.  I had to reread his statement several times to figure out he didn't mean Alex only worked for Timely, but rather he meant Alex didn't do any interior work for Timely. (thumbsu

Just to be clear - I do know of the couple original art Speed Comics covers, I can see them on Heritage. But what I was wondering was

1) any classic Timely covers ?     (Cap, Torch, MMC, Submariner .........) - and I see Cat answered with the one that seems to have survived, but is that truly all we know of ?   For the record, I am not shocked if that is the case, as any GA cover original art is extremely rare, I was just asking cause of how freaking incredible his original art is/would be

2) any interior pages - I'm under the impression he was a cover guy mainly (only?) - just wanted to pick the brains of those in the know here

Thanks

PS I absolutely LOVE Cat's original Schomburg "re-creation" painting - how many different ones of these exist ?  I suppose these are the closet anyone can come to owning something original from Schomburg ?  

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Many of his Harvey covers from the War period have survived.  You can see some of them on Heritage's site or the Comic Art Fans website.

10 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Just to be clear - I do know of the couple original art Speed Comics covers, I can see them on Heritage. But what I was wondering was

1) any classic Timely covers ?     (Cap, Torch, MMC, Submariner .........) - and I see Cat answered with the one that seems to have survived, but is that truly all we know of ?   For the record, I am not shocked if that is the case, as any GA cover original art is extremely rare, I was just asking cause of how freaking incredible his original art is/would be

2) any interior pages - I'm under the impression he was a cover guy mainly (only?) - just wanted to pick the brains of those in the know here

Thanks

PS I absolutely LOVE Cat's original Schomburg "re-creation" painting - how many different ones of these exist ?  I suppose these are the closet anyone can come to owning something original from Schomburg ?  

As far as I know Jon Juan is the only interior work attributed to Alex.  (and at least some of it has survived.)

EDIT:  I remember now that he also did the whole Invaders Annual #1 in the late 70's.

Edited by thunsicker

48 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

He drew a story for the first Ziff-Davis comic.

Good call.  Actually it looks like he had a 5 page story in the first issue of Amazing Adventures and a 6 page story in the second issue.  No idea if any of the OA is still out there for either of them.

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

How many pages per issue did Kirby do on the timely books?   It seems to me that in just a few issues he may have done more pages for Timely than Schomburg did covers for Timely, total.

I.e. maybe there are just more around because he did more to start with?    

I don't think that he ever worked for Timely again after Captain America #10.