• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What has happened to Comics ?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I suppose we have all noticed that buying and selling comics has changed forever. Since May 2020 we have never seen comics rocket in price to such stratospheric levels. Its not just vintage keys and the like, demand for anything new has seen comics like Starwars High Republic variants sell out within 1hr of going online..

This time last year we lived in a steady reliable comic market. A time to remember. Now its panic buying and selling at the highest prices in history. Auctions are still revealing even further growth such as 30% since December 2020. Thats just in 2 months !? This is on top of the 50%, or more, they gained in the previous 6 months. When will it end ? Must it end? 

I think comic investors at this time who pay such high prices to obtain a key issues will have to wait a number of years to realise any substantial profit. When you buy high you have to hope the market continues to grow rapidly, or be very patient over a number of years.

Can the comic market continue to sustain this sort of growth and will prices and demand level out?  If not, many comics will become the domain of the wealthy. What a sad enditement for thousands of comic collectors ambitions and aspirations.

Edited by Colin Nash

1 hour ago, Colin Nash said:

I suppose we have all noticed that buying and selling comics has changed forever. Since May 2020 we have never seen comics rocket in price to such stratospheric levels. Its not just vintage keys and the like, demand for anything new has seen comics like Starwars High Relublic variants sell out within 1hr of going online..

This time last year we lived in a steady reliable comic market. A time to remember. Now its panic buying and selling at the highest prices in history. Auctions are still revealing even further growth such as 30% since December 2020. Thats just in 2 months !? This is on top of the 50%, or more, they gained in the previous 6 months. When will it end ? Must it end? 

I think comic investors at this time who pay such high prices to obtain a key issues will have to wait a number of years to realise any substantial profit. When you buy high you have to hope the market continues to grow rapidly, or be very patient over a number of years.

Can the comic market continue to sustain this sort of growth and will prices and demand level out?  If not, many comics will become the domain of the wealthy. What a sad enditement for thousands of comic collectors ambitions and aspirations.

Collector’s collections have increased in value 10-fold in the past decade.   That gives them a ton of buying power if they let go of the all the over-priced drek while the getting is good, and buy more books they really want. 

1 hour ago, grebal said:

My two cent theory- the internet has become one big comicon when in-person cons are verboten; lots of buyers all in the same "place."  And the easy money US Fed Reserve seemingly printing money 24/7, probably helps fuel speculation in physical assets and collectibles, perhaps seen as some sorta 'hedge' against devalued money/inflation.

Very well put. I agree.

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Collector’s collections have increased in value 10-fold in the past decade.   That gives them a ton of buying power if they let go of the all the over-priced drek while the getting is good, and buy more books they really want. 

I basically did this. Down sized allot and put the $$ into better books. 

My problem now is, selling anything else at this point starts to hurt. They are books I want and won't necessarily be able to replace. 

That’s why I have always told people to buy what they like. Not as an investment where you will make millions. I still foresee stupid prices this year on collectibles but will adjust itself in the future. Meaning some people will be stuck with worthless drek. Check out what is going on in the graded card market. Both sports and non-sports. 

That being said, don't discount the wealth of lovely people who are rediscovering how much joy comics and cards gave them as a kid... the pandemic provided many of us with that reminder. Sure, some will leave. But I bet many will stay having realized that valuable or not, a Todd McFarlane or Jack Kirby classic makes them smile. And on top of that, I think it's encouraging to see so many younger fans get into the hobby and find excitement in new characters. The comic and card industry is thrilling right now... nothing wrong with that.

15 hours ago, Comicshows said:

That’s why I have always told people to buy what they like. Not as an investment where you will make millions. I still foresee stupid prices this year on collectibles but will adjust itself in the future. Meaning some people will be stuck with worthless drek. Check out what is going on in the graded card market. Both sports and non-sports. 

Agreed - especially re the graded card market.  About a year ago I started collecting PSA graded 1977 Star Wars Wonder Bread cards.  They were a nostalgia purchase—I collected them as a kid and they brought back great memories.  But I recently sold a handful of them for an astronomical profit because the prices on them just exploded almost overnight.  I didn’t really want to sell them, but the prices on offer were just ridiculous.  And I probably still sold them too cheaply based on what I’m seeing in realized prices!

30 minutes ago, Dergrosse13 said:

Agreed - especially re the graded card market.  About a year ago I started collecting PSA graded 1977 Star Wars Wonder Bread cards.  They were a nostalgia purchase—I collected them as a kid and they brought back great memories.  But I recently sold a handful of them for an astronomical profit because the prices on them just exploded almost overnight.  I didn’t really want to sell them, but the prices on offer were just ridiculous.  And I probably still sold them too cheaply based on what I’m seeing in realized prices!

You made the right move selling those Wonder Bread as I did the same last week. PSA 9's and below are not really that hard with few exceptions. Wonder Bread population will explode as there are a lot of complete sets sold to the public that didn't come in packs of bread. When the markets settles they will realize its the stickers that are the ones to chase. (Especially from Star Wars series 1-4 and from Empire's 1st & 2 series)
I feel like there's no Baseball, Football & Basketball right now and the sports cards guys are moving in with panic buying.

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, Rip said:

You made the right move selling those Wonder Bread as I did the same last week. PSA 9's and below are not really that hard with few exceptions. Wonder Bread population will explode as there are a lot of complete sets sold to the public that didn't come in packs of bread. When the markets settles they will realize its the stickers that are the ones to chase. (Especially from Star Wars series 1-4 and from Empire's 1st & 2 series)
I feel like there's no Baseball, Football & Basketball right now and the sports cards guys are moving in with panic buying.

Agree with assessment re: PSA 9's. They are the equivalent of CGC NM- 9.2's back in the day...

CAL who used to deal exclusively in encapsulated pulp...:flipbait:

On 2/12/2021 at 7:11 PM, KCOComics said:

I basically did this. Down sized allot and put the $$ into better books. 

My problem now is, selling anything else at this point starts to hurt. They are books I want and won't necessarily be able to replace. 

Similar situation for me.  I just sold the vast majority of my collection.  Beginning in 2019, I began letting go of books. Due to the pandemic, I did no buying or selling at all in 2020.  Yesterday, I got rid of the remaining 3,000+ Books.  I now have under 100 books (and 2 longs worth of trades).  It was an extremely liberating experience.  
My “want list” now is very short and consists mainly of Ditko Spidey’s, so it will be a long process to fill that list (due to cost).  The majority of the books I did keep are books that, were I to sell, I would probably be unable to replace (again due to cost).