• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you buy anything from the Metropolis 50% off sales?

91 posts in this topic

We send out emails almost every week with tightly graded group lots of Silver and Bronze Age books. There are a lot of great books for reading and collecting included in these lists. If you don't know what I am talking about and you would like to get on the mailing list email orders@metropoliscomics.com. I want to know how many of you buy from these emails and if you are satisfied with the grading.

Thanks,

Vincent

I have purchased several comics from Metropolis and the service has been outstanding. Comics purchased were mostly CGC, appx 3 to 4 were raw including my last purchase of Showcase 3 8.5 Nova Scotia copy which I sent back because it was over graded. The other raw copys I kept because they were not that expensive, but they were all overgraded also. I do have to say that when I returned the Showcase 3 that there were "NO" problems at all just immediate response and a quick refund. thumbsup2.gif

I will still purchase CGC comics from you but I will curtail my raw purchases until I see a popular consensus that the grading is tighter.

One more thing is the lack of newest listing on your site, I check Pedigree, and Comiclink at least once a day. I very rarely go to your site because you have to spend so much time going through everything all over again.

Yes.

I got some ASM and Tales to Astonish books I was happy with over the last few months.

Your last sale had few Silver Marvels and none that I was looking for. frown.gif

Suggestion:

When you sell lots break them down into smaller $50-$100 lots instead of one big $500 - $1000 lot.

Example:

Instead of ASM 25 assorted Silver Age books for $500 (50% of $1000);

Break them into smaller lots:

ASM

4 books $100

5 books $100

5 books $100

5 books $100

6 books $100

Since we only have 24-48 hours to respond to these sales it's rather hard for most people to come up with $500 - $1000 for comics in such short notice but $50 - $100 is easy. Also buying large lots is tricky when collectors only need certain issues for their runs. flowerred.gif

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I will have a pow wow with Ed on Monday to discuss implementing some new startegy. Sometimes we put together big lots and sometimes small ones. If it is tough to come up with 500-1000 for a lot keep in mind we offer no interest time payments. You can always email Ed to ask how long you can take to pay something off.

Also-beaumonts-Glad you liked our customer service but I am sorry you felt the books you ordered were over graded. If you would like to try buying raw again just put a note in the comments that you would like me to take a 2nd look at your order before we charge or ship anything. I will go over the books and make sure there are no problems. This will save you money on returns and wasting time.

As for the website, we will launch our next generation metropoliscomics.com website soon. I think you willbe very pleased with all of the new bells and whistles.

Thanks,

Vincent

Vincent/Metro,

I just looked at your site for the first time...

You have a lot of unslabbed books with really small scans. Can you provide larger scans upon request? There are a few DC keys that I am interested in making offers on but it's really difficult to do so without being able to see the entire book up close.

Thanks!

Vincent/Metro,

I just looked at your site for the first time...

You have a lot of unslabbed books with really small scans. Can you provide larger scans upon request? There are a few DC keys that I am interested in making offers on but it's really difficult to do so without being able to see the entire book up close.

Thanks!

He only offers scans on 500.00 dollar books or larger,but on a side note they are returnable if not satifsfied.Only problem with that is you eat the shipping to get them to you and the shipping to get them back!

Davidking623

Which is a real problem for smaller collectors like me. If i have to spend $10 and a lot of time to get a refund on a $40 book, then it is easier/cheaper for me to keep it. That goes for dealers on or off Ebay. Personally ive only spent $500 on a book once. Add that with the perceived less than accurate grading and you have a problem.

Well yesterday, I ordered about 10 minutes after I got the email, I then got a reply telling me my email was unreadable and would I please resend, which I did, within the same minute as the request....that was nearly 24 hours ago and I still don't know if my order came through or not and if the books were still for sale confused-smiley-013.gif

Eh, the books I wanted with the big scans are like $1500 and up. For example, he has a Showcase 22 at a 6.5 but he uses the same scan for every showcase 22.

We'll see...his prices seem fair on a lot of unslabbed books but if the books are not well-graded, why waste time buying, returning and losing shipping in the process??

I find the emails about sales usually contain lower grade issues and items that do not interest me. I rarely, if ever buy vg/fines and would not even consider it for issues that , frankly, I can get on eBay for less money and higher grades. I think Metropolis would be far better off throwing them on eBay or saving them for a show with a big 50% sign. I think the latter approach would blow them out for you.

On another note, I have always felt that the grading was pretty good. I have not ordered anything recently but I do know that the half dozen of books I have bought from them over the years were pretty good. The last issue I bought was a X-men 46 that was listed as a 9.4. When I received it , it appeared to be a strict 9.4. Unfortunately when I sent it to CGC, it came back a 9.2. That is not bad, I really cannot expect a company to do better then that - especially since I agreed with the grade.

I have to say I too would like to see Metro lower the scan embargo under $500. Of course my request is self serving as the majority of books I buy are between $50 - $250. Overall my experience with Metro has been hit and miss, when you couple that with the lack of scans under $500 it does compound things a bit. I will say though that they are a MILE ahead of certain other dealers who must be grading when the are HIGH on hallucinogens.

While I similarly applaud the return policy, I think people have noted that sometimes the % of shipping in regards to the books value lessens the impact of that policy. I don't get the emails though I do peruse the cite fairly often. Its a good site considering the vast inventory, though other's have now built a better mousetrap, Vincent has stated they will be launching a new one soon and I'm sure it will be first rate.

Vince in terms of your $500 policy let me simply set up the scenerio from my perspective - I can understand it given your inventory, I appaud the post where you stated you would review books if people made the request, but lets think about it from a competative standpoint. With all the other games in town that have similar books and scans I think you guys do yourself a disservice with this policy. We've met a few times and had lunch etc, but is the average purchaser of say $100 -$250 books going to take the time to ask for you personally to grade books, or even think of it, when similar books with posted scans are a few clicks away???

I'm not saying scan every book, but you might want to run a quantative analysis of your inventory and find an acceptible lower break point where you counld justify the scans that would have to be added in man hours verses the potential for business. Say $300 or $250 again you understand the inventory better than anyone.

Regardless, I 893applaud-thumb.gif one of the biggest dealers in the industry taking the time to solicit and respond to comments in an open forum on their business. Can't think of too many other of the BSDs who have done that.

Keep the Wheels in Motion grin.gif

I'd suggest lowering the request for scans to $200+ books. That is still a sizeable chunk of change for a lot people for a comic book, and high enough of a dollar amount for people to realize that they need to be serious about asking for scans. I think it's safe to say that most of us on the forums are conscientious types, and generally don't ask for scans of books that we have no intention of buying. Setting the bar for scans at $500 creates a disconnect between the customer and seller. It comes across like "your money isn't good enough" if you're not dropping thousands of dollars down, although I'm sure that's not at all Metro's intent. But still, in business, image is everything.

Customers of all stripes like to feel that their dollars are appreciated, and one of the easiest ways to do that in this case is for Metro to significantly lower the dollar amount for scan requests.

Emails always received (in fact I always get two of your emails for some reason) and have never purchased anything from them. That said, when I have purchased from the web site it has always been an excellent experience. Also, I saw that someone mentioned not being able to raise cash quick enough and just wanted to say that Metro's time payment policy is hassle free. Use it.

I am glad to hear about the web site revamp...I hope that it includes "pedigree only" and "newest listings" search fields.