• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eniac, how do we feel about this methodology?
1 1

326 posts in this topic

my biggest complaint with this is that Dinesh came out and said only half the orders would be filled for all the stores. they knew how many to print, its been almost a year since they launched this process. Thats not a bad idea, thats a level of incompetence that not even kickstarter projects fail at.

Edited by NWOslave

44 minutes ago, NWOslave said:

my biggest complaint with this is that Dinesh came out and said only half the orders would be filled for all the stores. they knew how many to print, its been almost a year since they launched this process. Thats not a bad idea, thats a level of incompetence that not even kickstarter projects fail at.

If you don't want to print more than X,000 first prints, because you don't want to have a market that doesn't care about your books (because they're too common), then you don't print more than X,000 first prints.

I assume there were too many words for you in the posts when we discussed it on the previous page this morning. (shrug)

Edited by valiantman

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If you don't want to print more than X,000 first prints, because you don't want to have a market that doesn't care about your books (because they're too common), then you don't print more than X,000 first prints.

I assume there were too many words for you in the posts when we discussed it on the previous page this morning. (shrug)

well you know what happens when you assume?

and yes i got all that and understand it but how am i supposed to take Dinesh saying on feb 4, sorry we can only fulfill half the orders to our exclusive retailers and oh you can have a second print to cover our incompetence. maybe we'll get it right next time. 

they should have had a damn good idea how many first prints to print that should have prevented this. how is it Brian Pulido, Dan Mendoza, Ron Zabala and Timothy Lim can get their book numbers printed but Dinesh and company cant?

4 minutes ago, NWOslave said:

well you know what happens when you assume?

and yes i got all that and understand it but how am i supposed to take Dinesh saying on feb 4, sorry we can only fulfill half the orders to our exclusive retailers and oh you can have a second print to cover our incompetence. maybe we'll get it right next time. 

they should have had a damn good idea how many first prints to print that should have prevented this. how is it Brian Pulido, Dan Mendoza, Ron Zabala and Timothy Lim can get their book numbers printed but Dinesh and company cant?

You're saying it's "incompetence" to limit the first printing to exactly the amount that you want to print.  I say it's doing exactly what you want to do, and it doesn't matter how many people whine about it.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

You're saying it's "incompetence" to limit the first printing to exactly the amount that you want to print.  I say it's doing exactly what you want to do, and it doesn't matter how many people whine about it.

if a publishers sticks to it's numbers that are lower than what is ordered by exclusive retailers at the time of printing, that is incompetence. thats not being unable to meet EXPECTED demand, they are not even meeting the demand of their customers which they have or should have known for the past year how many to print to satisfy KNOWN demand. what was the point of a FOC? no spin will make up for that failure. they could have said they were going to delay to print more, or lied and said they were having trouble finding a printer. i doubt many would have cared at that point. id hate to be that lcs owner that has decide what 51% of their hold list customers will get their copy and who wont because of, well bad incompetence. great look out of the gate. 

also, is the not-first-print a real second print or just part of their quirky marketing and really a first print? i guess the market will decide that since they are clearly two different colored covers and the explanation by Dinesh is a convoluted mess. they can have their weird quarky distribution, marketing ect ect ill defend them on this but now that i found this article im kinda pissed. im pissed for the lcs' im pissed for the fans that are probably going to get shafted meanwhile flippers are selling copies on ebay.  

its not whining its legit criticism. 

On 2/27/2021 at 12:15 PM, Lurker89 said:

I think it's pretty simple. Releasing the "not first print" at the same time (both having a release date of 3/3/21) as the first print feels like a gimmick and an intentional mechanism to drive the value of the very limited first print up.

It seems people had to have quite the foresight to be able to get a first print. A foresight most of the general public was not privy too unless they really had an ear to the ground.

At the end of the day maybe they just had a good ground game and hyped the book well and sold out quick if so more power to them. Either way, I'd like to know what the initial print run for the first print is and how quickly they sold out from the time they became available. You can say they are protecting themselves but I think the fact that the "not first printings" are in good supply and readily available does not jive with that line of thinking.

If the writing and art is good the book will stand its own merits, no matter the perceived issues with it's release.

The fact that you feel the need to "White Knight" so hard for Bad Idea or throw terms like Libel at Ygog for voicing an opinion on the boards is a little odd, Especially considering most of us are just irritated we couldn't get a first print two months out from release.

You don't need to defend them so vigorously from a few dudes on the internet who wanted to buy the first  print of their book.

i know i got snippy in the beginning of the thread but i wasnt aware of the short which was reported by bleeding cool on feb 4th. i dont pay attention to comic news sites so i was not up to date on the news cycle. i just became aware of it and well, see my post above. 

i want to apologize to you and @awakeintheashes since i was arguing from a ignorant position. 

i wont attribute to malice what can be explained, in this case, by what i see as incompetence. 

36 minutes ago, NWOslave said:

also, is the not-first-print a real second print or just part of their quirky marketing and really a first print? i guess the market will decide that since they are clearly two different colored covers and the explanation by Dinesh is a convoluted mess.

Again, proof that you don't read anything in this topic.

"Not a first print" is the version of Eniac #1 that will remain in print... forever.  There will not be a time that you can jump in on Bad Idea and the prior books are "sold out".  They're always available, they're just "not a first print".

That's not the first time I've typed that today.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Again, proof that you don't read anything in this topic.

"Not a first print" is the version of Eniac #1 that will remain in print... forever.  There will not be a time that you can jump in on Bad Idea and the prior books are "sold out".  They're always available, they're just "not a first print".

That's not the first time I've typed that today.

out of everything i wrote you decided to only reply to that. too much truth to combat huh? not first print is a second print. thats like saying not-first-place in a race just to avoid the fact you are second place. 

2 minutes ago, NWOslave said:

out of everything i wrote you decided to only reply to that. too much truth to combat huh? not first print is a second print. thats like saying not-first-place in a race just to avoid the fact you are second place. 

Out of everything you wrote?

You just said "incompetence" again a few times, as if a publisher can't do what the publisher wants if - YOU - some rando on the internet - believe it's "incompetence", they're the ones at fault. lol

"Not a first print" means all other prints, just like "not first place" means all other places in the race.  It doesn't mean only second... it's third, it's thirteenth, it's whatever isn't a first print.

32 minutes ago, NWOslave said:

i know i got snippy in the beginning of the thread but i wasnt aware of the short which was reported by bleeding cool on feb 4th. i dont pay attention to comic news sites so i was not up to date on the news cycle. i just became aware of it and well, see my post above. 

i want to apologize to you and @awakeintheashes since i was arguing from a ignorant position. 

i wont attribute to malice what can be explained, in this case, by what i see as incompetence. 

All good brotha, I'm always down for a good flame war... I enjoy getting into it with people if that's what they want to do and I never take things personally even when people try to get personal. I may throw insults if they are thrown my way but it's all in good fun as far as I'm concerned.

I never read much Valiant and for all I know Dinesh, this book, and this company could be great. Just discussion for discussions sake here. I have no horse in the race.:foryou:

1 minute ago, Lurker89 said:

All good brotha, I'm always down for a good flame war... I enjoy getting into it with people if that's what they want to do and I never take things personally even when people try to get personal. I may throw insults if they are thrown my way but it's all in good fun as far as I'm concerned.

I never read much Valiant and for all I know Dinesh, this book, and this company could be great. Just discussion for discussions sake here. I have no horse in the race.:foryou:

i understand now where you were coming from by suggesting market manipulation and ill will. i dont think it was intentional but my god their decision making was terrible and i hope its not a feature instead of a bug. 

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Let’s say that is true (a specific print number not to be exceeded). Why would a publisher do that? Especially one for the readers?

24 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Let’s say that is true (a specific print number not to be exceeded). Why would a publisher do that? Especially one for the readers?

If I’m following along correctly, the not-first print will be available to read.....forever.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

The "lucky" shop owners now get to screw half the people who ordered a first print. But not to worry because those people may be able to grab a Notfirstprint copy at the same time they get screwed. That will earn this company some good will.

Readers shouldn’t care what print it is....

Collectors care

Specs really care 

12 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
38 minutes ago, manetteska said:

If I’m following along correctly, the not-first print will be available to read.....forever

Yes, but why limit any print if it’s all about the readers? Why allocate and then have enough copies of something “similar” on the first day which you know is not the same thing. They had rules and seems like they found their own loopholes to aide a select few. 

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Readers shouldn’t care what print it is....

Collectors care

Specs really care 

I call complete BS. People jumped thru hoops by tracking down stores that carry a product their normal store can't carry and you think they should be happy with something other than what they ordered.