• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Sgt. Fury Annual #1
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Still trying to work on my grading skills, so I wanted to try out an issue that is far more damaged and see if I come close to what you guys do. Pages are white/off-white and the staples are firm and not rusty. I think this is what they call a squarebound? So the cover has no staples on it, but the inside does (I have no idea if that's supposed to be that way). 

Thanks in advance

Fury-Front.jpeg

Fury-back.jpeg

20210221_121700.jpg

20210221_121703.jpg

20210221_121707.jpg

20210221_121710.jpg

20210221_121713.jpg

20210221_121718.jpg

20210221_121729.jpg

20210221_121738.jpg

20210221_121748.jpg

31 minutes ago, xvipah said:

Still trying to work on my grading skills, so I wanted to try out an issue that is far more damaged and see if I come close to what you guys do. Pages are white/off-white and the staples are firm and not rusty. I think this is what they call a squarebound? So the cover has no staples on it, but the inside does (I have no idea if that's supposed to be that way). 

Thanks in advance

I'm lower at 2.0ish I'm afraid - it's got a lot wrong with it and doesn't have good eye appeal.

Books like these are indeed called squarebound by the way, due to the shape of the spine, and it's normal for the inner pages to be stapled. The cover is glued on. 

Yea, I originally had it at a 2.0 or so also so I was pleasantly surprised when Flammen said 3/3.5. There is a lot wrong, and the color bleed through is not even the worst.

Is that tape on the back cover considered restoration?

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm lower at 2.0ish I'm afraid - it's got a lot wrong with it and doesn't have good eye appeal.

Books like these are indeed called squarebound by the way, due to the shape of the spine, and it's normal for the inner pages to be stapled. The cover is glued on. 

12 hours ago, xvipah said:

Yea, I originally had it at a 2.0 or so also so I was pleasantly surprised when Flammen said 3/3.5. There is a lot wrong, and the color bleed through is not even the worst.

Is that tape on the back cover considered restoration?

This from the CGC resources section:

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/restoration/

"While tape could be considered restoration because it is usually used to repair defects, its prevalence on comic books has led collectors to accept tape as a defect rather than restoration. As such, CGC does not recognize tape as restoration, rather downgrading a comic book accordingly if it is present. Because of the destructive nature of tape, CGC believes that is should never be used on a comic book for any reason."