• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collection tracking and online price guides

5 posts in this topic

I committed to Comic Book Price guide years ago and have finally finished logging my collection. Graded each book as I recorded them so it took a long time (11K+ books :insane:). I've heard good things about Collectorz but wondering if they have a Excel import option. What other options are out there? I'm still old school and have my needs list hand written into a notebook. lol maybe I can break out my old Comic Collector software from the 90's...

As far as price guides go, I look at Comic Book Price guide as a slightly more updated version of overstreet. Updated more frequently during the year but still not always reflective of current trends and prices. GoCollect and CovrPrice have been my go to recently but I haven't committed to a subscription to either. I used GPA years ago but have only recently started to make purchases that warrant a bit of research (6 years with no back issues purchases due to kid, college, and priorities lol, it was hell). Anything I'm missing and thoughts on any of the previously mentioned services?

Good Lord! 11K books catalogued by hand?! Epic work. :golfclap:

Yes - the CLZ suite of products supports import of a .csv file. 

Steps: https://www.collectorz.com/comic/clz-comics/manual/ios/2.0/en/topic/import-from-text-csv

I am a massive fan of their products. They’re excellent. But even more than that, I am a massive fan of their customer support. If you run into troubles, they will undoubtedly have your back. 

Good luck!

Edit: I forgot to add my $0.02 on pricing tools.  I recently did a month with GoCollect and there is a lot to love about their service. Although I didn't necessarily agree with the layout and UX design, I liked the features that were available. My one gripe from a user perspective was that there wasn't a lot of historic data for many books. Also, I honestly think they give too many features away for free... At the end of the month, I couldn't see enough value from their pricing tools and historic data vs the free account features to warrant an ongoing subscription.

However, I have maintained my subscription with GPA.  For me, GPA's pricing data seemed more accurate, I had access to more live listings from more sources, my collection/portfolio management interface and values were simple and effective. So, for me there is a lot to like about GoCollect, and I will maintain a free account there for several features... but for market value and research, GPA was the clear winner for my needs. (FWIW, my CLZ subscription provides me with GoCollect pricing data within the app anyway). 

Edited by Arkham
Add in my $0.02 on GoCollect and GPA.

10 hours ago, Arkham said:

Good Lord! 11K books catalogued by hand?! Epic work. :golfclap:

Yes - the CLZ suite of products supports import of a .csv file. 

Steps: https://www.collectorz.com/comic/clz-comics/manual/ios/2.0/en/topic/import-from-text-csv

I am a massive fan of their products. They’re excellent. But even more than that, I am a massive fan of their customer support. If you run into troubles, they will undoubtedly have your back. 

Good luck!

Edit: I forgot to add my $0.02 on pricing tools.  I recently did a month with GoCollect and there is a lot to love about their service. Although I didn't necessarily agree with the layout and UX design, I liked the features that were available. My one gripe from a user perspective was that there wasn't a lot of historic data for many books. Also, I honestly think they give too many features away for free... At the end of the month, I couldn't see enough value from their pricing tools and historic data vs the free account features to warrant an ongoing subscription.

However, I have maintained my subscription with GPA.  For me, GPA's pricing data seemed more accurate, I had access to more live listings from more sources, my collection/portfolio management interface and values were simple and effective. So, for me there is a lot to like about GoCollect, and I will maintain a free account there for several features... but for market value and research, GPA was the clear winner for my needs. (FWIW, my CLZ subscription provides me with GoCollect pricing data within the app anyway). 

Haha, yes it's been a long road with the cataloging. Next up, I get to go through many of them again as I finish my migration to mylar. I switched over in 2009ish so I'm at least 40% there...

Thanks for the feedback and the CSV link, that will be critical since I certainly don't want to go through all this again. I'll probably start with a trial account to get used to the interface etc... Good to know about GoCollect, I'll probably hold off on a paid account since I can easily access the FMV for issues. I've seen some posts here that the FMV is a bit inflated, did you (or others) find that as well?

Actually, I found them down for some books and similar for others. I didn’t find examples of inflation. 
Overall, GoCollect values my portfolio of books several thousand less than GPA. 

FWIW, GoCollect can’t determine FMV on an SS book - which I have a few of, which will also account for some value problems.

While I like GoCollect, I finished my month with less confidence in their data than GPA. Is that biased by overall portfolio valuation? I’d like to think not, but maybe a little. That said, I do think there is a closer correlation between GPA pricing and what people are asking on different marketplaces. 

They seem to be missing a lot of data and I read a thread here yesterday where people were citing specific sales that were not showing.