• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Auction Tomorrow
3 3

68 posts in this topic

One other very glaring thing I noticed about this auction: No Frank Miller art and no Paul Smith Uncanny X-Men. This is becoming normal for big auctions now, so it shouldn’t surprise me, but I guess it just shocks that very few of the auction houses are getting pages and covers by these two artists when they are selling very high everytime one pops up. 

6 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Also, I do NOT see the appeal of Skottie Young artwork and I'm always surprised that his pages and covers sell even close to what they sell for. He sure has some fans for his art to sell so high, but I'm not one of them and probably never will be. Can someone explain to me his art's appeal?

It has a different look. Some people equate different with good.

I think it's okay, but that's all. Perhaps better suited for parody or a comedy strip.

That's a general problem I have when evaluating art by different artists. The style should be evaluated against the "pitch" of the story. Kirby using his typical style on Peanuts wouldn't work.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

It has a different look. Some people equate different with good.

I think it's okay, but that's all. Perhaps better suited for parody or a comedy strip.

That's a general problem I have when evaluating art by different artists. The style should be evaluated against the "pitch" of the story. Kirby using his typical style on Peanuts wouldn't work.

I first saw Skottie Young on Wizard of Oz and thought his art worked so bought a page, but don’t like it so much on superhero stuff.

3 minutes ago, Monkeyman said:

I first saw Skottie Young on Wizard of Oz and thought his art worked so bought a page, but don’t like it so much on superhero stuff.

I absolutely love his stuff, especially the Wizard of Oz material.  I like it because it looks like what I would consider as the top children's book artwork.

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Kirby using his typical style on Peanuts wouldn't work.

It would be so much more cosmically exciting! lol