• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Journey Into Mystery 88
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Color Breaking Creases, Blunted Corners, Water Stains (front and back) and other Staining, Spine Stress/Creases, Rusty/Non Centered Staples.

4.5 VERY GOOD+ (VG):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Good but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

23 hours ago, Danno561 said:

I am definitely a novice grader but those grades seem generous to me, given the size of the missing corner on the back page.  I sure hope you are correct and definitely appreciate your input!

Is that a missing piece or a water stain, looks like a stain to me, if it is not a stain then my original appraisal would be incorrect, if it is a stain I stand by my VG 4.0, however, I do not have my books graded and my understanding is that CGC hits staining quite hard, so...

3.0. My copy is a good deal nicer and I'm not slabbing it, but I don't plan to sell it either.  Unless there's some compelling reason, I don't think slabbing is worth it if you don't plan to get rid of it. I've had my copy fifty years. It's on a board in a bag. 

Edited by Glassman10

On 3/8/2021 at 7:56 AM, Danno561 said:

I am definitely a novice grader but those grades seem generous to me, given the size of the missing corner on the back page.  I sure hope you are correct and definitely appreciate your input!

They are generous. The moisture damage on this book that was stored for most of it life in a damp basement would relegate it to 4.0 territory at best, even without taking into consideration defects related to wear rather than the obvious storage issues. 2.0 is probably about right. The fee for a press, the submission, and postage both ways will transcend the approx. value of the book. Save the money to submit a candidate with better odds of being economically viable. 

it's only in "good" condition,... not any better, if you were to list this comic on eBay in any higher condition than 2.0 good

you would likely be on the the hook for the buyer to be wanting to return this for a refund,...

you would be responsible for the full refund plus paying for the return shipping costs....

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

it's only in "good" condition,... not any better, if you were to list this comic on eBay in any higher condition than 2.0 good

you would likely be on the the hook for the buyer to be wanting to return this for a refund,...

you would be responsible for the full refund plus paying for the return shipping costs....

+1  Good would be the responsible grade to list this at. A buyer would find that seller's grade acceptable upon in person review in 99% of all cases.