• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird and confusion
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Hello eveyone,

I just picked up my books at the post office.  Checked with GCD but it got me confused.

It's so weird that stories in Jesse James (Avon) #2 do not match GCD's information but it's matched to Jesse James #1 - all stories are matched but 1st story (The San Antonio Stage Robbery) is not included. 16 wraps are accounted for.

Weird again, Looked at the indicia - it said May 1951.  That date is belonged to Jesse James #3 according to GCD.

I am not sure if which one is error - the book or GCD?  Your knowledge would be helpful.

8 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

JesseJamesIndicia.thumb.jpeg.0edc7810b50c990b6c74de1f0465e7e8.jpeg

MCS failed to mention this copy was printed in Canada. I noticed your indicia showed differently and the inside cover looked differently.  Apparently GCD doesn't have this information.

Cool!  We need some experts on early Canadian comics to chime in here.

Edited by steveinthecity
“To chime” not “too chime”. Good gracious.

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

Hey amigo!

There was a weird time when Canada put a restriction on American luxury items,so publishers printed them here-Superior and Bell are the top two.Often a story would be skipped and no adds inside or different.They also censored a bit or changed the colour,sometimes even taking a say,Marvel title and putting the cover on,say,Jetman comics.I find Westerns the most common in my experience.For the missing pages,drives me nuts.I have a Batman with a Joker cover-and the Joker story is gone.

They are usually about half the American price.The EC's by Superior(same company as those war books I got from you Jolly) seem to have no changes.

162411.jpg.c20a3b17ac5b2be0f80046c26e602ae5.jpg

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

Hey amigo!

There was a weird time when Canada put a restriction on American luxury items,so publishers printed them here-Superior and Bell are the top two.Often a story would be skipped and no adds inside or different.They also censored a bit or changed the colour,sometimes even taking a say,Marvel title and putting the cover on,say,Jetman comics.I find Westerns the most common in my experience.For the missing pages,drives me nuts.I have a Batman with a Joker cover-and the Joker story is gone.

They are usually about half the American price.The EC's by Superior(same company as those war books I got from you Jolly) seem to have no changes.

162411.jpg.c20a3b17ac5b2be0f80046c26e602ae5.jpg

Different ads too!

10 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

GCD only shows #’s 3 & 4 as having Canadian printings.

https://www.comics.org/series/43062/#index_status

Sometimes they just haven't been added.I have five or six,more maybe that aren't on GCD,like this one:  Dr.Love could tell you the original title if you wanna page him,it wont work for me plusone127-1.jpg.a4abb37df7cb6ee63413520edbf1ccea.jpg!!@.jpg.979ce07af66282a601a3b1ffbaf5eef1.jpgplusone176.jpg.05dd74fa86a95b3b0b5b84a711271af3.jpg!!!!!0.jpg.cd5da985341c9b8365428c3d13ada408.jpg!!!!!0.jpg.abaefdea745699eb8b3247c028906b0f.jpg!!!!!0.jpg.bda465026395efd9d4512f3eb1e5ec1e.jpg

About the Hi comics I mean.I found a bunch of other Canadian editions going thru my pics posted here loooking.

All are normal inside I believe besides the Superman.The Hi comics has really poor printing on the interior,it's often the case

6 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Different ads too!

Yep.Adds for Canadian stuff!

Bell isually has a in house add or a blackhead remover lol on the back cover

Edited by porcupine48

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Sometimes they just haven't been added.I have five or six,more maybe that aren't on GCD,like this one:  Dr.Love could tell you the original title if you wanna page him,it wont work for me plusone127-1.jpg.a4abb37df7cb6ee63413520edbf1ccea.jpg!!@.jpg.979ce07af66282a601a3b1ffbaf5eef1.jpgplusone176.jpg.05dd74fa86a95b3b0b5b84a711271af3.jpg!!!!!0.jpg.cd5da985341c9b8365428c3d13ada408.jpg!!!!!0.jpg.abaefdea745699eb8b3247c028906b0f.jpg!!!!!0.jpg.bda465026395efd9d4512f3eb1e5ec1e.jpg

About the Hi comics I mean.I found a bunch of other Canadian editions going thru my pics posted here loooking.

All are normal inside I believe besides the Superman.The Hi comics has really poor printing on the interior,it's often the case

Fantastic! My question is...how rarity Canadian comic books can be found here and up in Canada? I don't see them very often.

20 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Other tricky question.

This Canadian copy may be valuable.

They usually fetch half the price of US copies-unless you have something niche like the Batman books that folk are bidding each other up for,or if it's stories,characters represented in a solely Canadian title,like Hi or Jetman for instance.(jetman did old Marvel Boy and Blackhawk reprints)

While they are likely more common up here,many of my copies come from stateside.

@Artboy99 anything to add here I've left out-I just tried to cover the basics.

Canadian Whites are a whole different world,the Captain Marvels for instance.