• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America comics #1: to buy or not to buy
3 3

41 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

If you go with the one that's missing the 2 centrefolds you have to ask yourself what the chances are that you'll find them - probably slim to none and even if you do, you'll pay a pretty penny for them because they'll most likely be attached to the majority of the book not to mention competing with other collectors that are in your exact position.

Stay away from tan and brittle pages - don't go there - save yourself headaches.  If you crack a book with that PQ it could literally crumble before your eyes.

Do not be rushed or panicked into buying.  These are not the only two known copies.  I get why you want the book NOW but the worst thing you can do is impulse buy - especially with this kind of $ involved.

The right copy will come up and you'll be glad that you waited.

Did your grandfather keep any copies of Captain America #1...or the other 9 for that matter?

I think youre right. I think i should be patient but my single biggest fear is not buying it now and later when a low grade restored copy comes around, all the prices have increased and it ends up costing me ALOT more. 

Joe had cap 1-10 that were incomplete, brittle and cut from a bound volume. they sold when he passed. Hope to get them back one day

7 hours ago, sagii said:

Since you're soliciting opinions:

I'm not a restored book guy. However, for a pricey mega key like this sometimes some of us have to 'settle' for low grade or restored for the opportunity to ever own one. 

I would take restored over incomplete. 

Extent of restoration would be a factor as well. I could live with slight to moderate (amatuer or professional) color touch and or glue.

Pieces added or replaced staples not so much. Would also take tan to cream pages.

Either way, good luck!

I would take restored over incomplete, I would be very careful before spending $$$ on this, probably pass

:foryou: @Dark Knight

Conserved                                                   Nothing at all

^                                                                      ^

Unrestored>Restored>Sl.Brittle/Brittle>Incomplete>Page

23 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

:foryou: @Dark Knight

Conserved                                                   Nothing at all

^                                                                      ^

Unrestored>Restored>Sl.Brittle/Brittle>Incomplete>Page

I'd take nothing at all before I'd touch brittle - I'd rather do without.

Just now, sfcityduck said:

Nothing worse than looking in a slab and seeing an annoying bit of paper floating around.

I can see that, literally, as an annoyance that would diminish the enjoyment factor of owning a book.

Great discussion! 

I think this is a really personal decision. 

I haven't looked into this book enough to know how that price compares to others, but if it presents well and the price was reasonable, I personally would be happy with a qualified Cap 1 with slightly brittle pages.

I would keep my eyes open for "parts", but I wouldn't be too eager to find them (meaning I wouldn't I've pay just because I saw a coverless on eBay one day). 

And in my experience, sightly brittle can mean allot of things. I had a GA book I would have called brittle, that came back slightly brittle. 

I had another book that was handled by 2 prominate boardies before I submitted it and all 3 of us were shocked to see it come back slightly brittle. 

The B word is terrifying in this hobby. Did the seller have it slabbed himself? Can you ask about how brittle? 

I have never bought a book that is listed as brittle. It might last, but it might also crumble. I stay away from that as I don’t want a book that could crumble. The definition of brittle, as applied to the description of a comic book, scares me. My $.02

16 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

If you go with the one that's missing the 2 centrefolds you have to ask yourself what the chances are that you'll find them - probably slim to none and even if you do, you'll pay a pretty penny for them because they'll most likely be attached to the majority of the book not to mention competing with other collectors that are in your exact position.

Stay away from tan and brittle pages - don't go there - save yourself headaches.  If you crack a book with that PQ it could literally crumble before your eyes.

Do not be rushed or panicked into buying.  These are not the only two known copies.  I get why you want the book NOW but the worst thing you can do is impulse buy - especially with this kind of $ involved.

The right copy will come up and you'll be glad that you waited.

Did your grandfather keep any copies of Captain America #1...or the other 9 for that matter?

Totally agree with that. Cracking it is risky. Reading it is really risky. And 38K isn't really a deal I think. Youre going to want a complete copy and that will probably cost possibly another 15 to 20k to make this one whole again. Its not just finding the missing wraps but paying to have them attached by a professional. Andthen the book will still have a green or purple label.

I'm assuming the book your looking at is the one on e bay (I haven't read all the posts here). It looks ok. But if one was going to spend almost 40 on an incomplete copy I would say might as well spend a little more on a restored but complete copy. Seems around 50K is the magic number for a presentable and complete copy right now. 

Final thought - does it have to be a #1? You can get a really sweet of example of issues 2 - 10 for <10 to 25K , depending on which one you choose.

Edited by Professor Chaos

I think this should be an easy pass if it's the one on eBay. You mentioned wanting to crack it from the slab (which I fully support!) so in that case you would want the complete copy to read and enjoy. As others have said, trying to track down and marry the missing pages will end up being expensive and probably frustrating. Even if you were to find the missing centerfolds, it's likely the staples don't line up or the pages were cut differently so the married pages stick out. 

I will chime in here and defend "slightly brittle" pages. I previously avoided the designation as well but a GA megagrail came along and the "slightly brittle" pages made it more affordable. I cracked the book and was surprised that the brittleness was isolated to only 1 corner of the book and vast majority of the surface area of the pages were supple.  

Good luck with your decision!

I didn't realize before but Joe Simon did the cover art for Captain America issue 2, and it's a pretty great cover. I believe its the only cover credited to him in the series.  There is a 8.0 coming to Heritage on the 12th that's a real beauty. 

8 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I didn't realize before but Joe Simon did the cover art for Captain America issue 2, and it's a pretty great cover. I believe its the only cover credited to him in the series.  There is a 8.0 coming to Heritage on the 12th that's a real beauty. 

that is the only SOLO joe simon cover of issue 1-10. But Joe contributed and helped with all the other covers, some more and some less. I think issue 5 has the least amount of Joe in a cap 1,5-10. 3,4 are both schomburg and the rest are simon and kirby. Sometimes Syd shores and others helped out

13 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Totally agree with that. Cracking it is risky. Reading it is really risky. And 38K isn't really a deal I think. Youre going to want a complete copy and that will probably cost possibly another 15 to 20k to make this one whole again. Its not just finding the missing wraps but paying to have them attached by a professional. Andthen the book will still have a green or purple label.

I'm assuming the book your looking at is the one on e bay (I haven't read all the posts here). It looks ok. But if one was going to spend almost 40 on an incomplete copy I would say might as well spend a little more on a restored but complete copy. Seems around 50K is the magic number for a presentable and complete copy right now. 

Final thought - does it have to be a #1? You can get a really sweet of example of issues 2 - 10 for <10 to 25K , depending on which one you choose.

I need issue 1 and 3 as I have the rest. I have a very nice presenting issue 2 thats missing centerfold. The rest I need to upgrade eventually But IM happy with them. Just 1 and 3 are needed to complete the set. I think with everyone's input, Im not a the right moment to purchase a copy. I think I need a wait another year or 2 and wait for a lpw grade restored thats complete

I’ve never thought about touching a book of that scale (since I can’t afford one) and personally if I were in your position, I would take a lot of things into accountability. It’s missing 2 centerfolds, what are the chances I come across them? The pages are brittle, what more damage could I cause if I were to crack it out the CGC case and flip through it? I would just say wait until you come across a complete copy that’s restored to some extent or maybe even conserved. 

Edited by Terry_JSA

I assume you're talking about the copy on Ebay. I don't know if I would deslab that one, looks pretty beat up. But on the flip side of that, how much more damage can you do haha.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-Comics-1-3-1941-Timely-Comics-CGC-0-5-Incomplete/333897373241?hash=item4dbdd59639:g:MdoAAOSw7ahf~0VK

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.47.15 AM.png

Edited by LDarkseid1