• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inflation Drives Art to Record Prices

91 posts in this topic

This article relates to the fine art market. I'm sure the great majority of fine art buyers are not investing in comic art.

Personally, I prefer comic art, but the two worlds are still very much apart.

What will happen in the future is anyone's guess.

Personally, with my limited experience in and around the fine art market, I see a very large contingent of "those people" never deigning to recognize comic art on the same level as the art in their world. I'm guessing their world will remain mostly separate from ours.

I foresee a separate "comic art market" coming to fruition at a different level. A different level of price as well as interest. This market may capture the imagination of a different contingent of people, so while they are not now fine art buyers, they may become comic art buyers.

Your milage may vary...

The category is somewhat irrelevant. A collectible ? Fine art ? Wave ? Particle ?

The article shows the inflationary pressures affecting an asset class. Art as an asset class will continue to benefit from these pressures....imvho.

KK

Also, Fine Art has several hundred years of history as a collectable on its side.

There's a very old story about an Oxford Don dining with his star pupils. One of the pupils makes the comment that for the last 1000 years land has proven to be an extremely reliable thing to have money tied up in. The Don councils "Ah, but the last 1000 years have proven to be been particularly remarkable".

How many Tarzan collectors are there today?

On 9/21/2005 at 1:22 PM, krazykat-migration said:

The category is somewhat irrelevant. A collectible ? Fine art ? Wave ? Particle ?

The article shows the inflationary pressures affecting an asset class. Art as an asset class will continue to benefit from these pressures....imvho.

KK

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-07/gretzky-trading-card-valued-at-over-1-million-in-pandemic-boom-for-collectibles

Edited by Peter G

16 hours ago, Peter G said:

Interesting read. First off (ocd kicking in) a gripe. The photo at the top showing the back of the card isn’t actually the card in question. That’s the back of a 1979 Topps Gretzky RC not the OPC (different card stock, no french writing like on OPC).

Onto the card. That OPC is a psa 10, which has a population of 1 I’m pretty sure. Now with the centering issues it has and the OPC rough cut I’m not sure if it’s a true 10 but it’s gotten the tag so it is what it is. 

As it’s marked it’s the rarest Gretzky collectible out there and is singularly by its grade one of the top ten individual cards in existence based of importance and rarity. I’ve pulled a 79 opc out of a pack before and it came back a PSA 8. Getting that 10 designation instead of a still rare/desirable 9 grade changed that from a 80,000.00 card to a million dollar one. 

Even if we as a planet didn’t have so many Rona-bored and paper wealthy folks as we do now, that card would have done well into the 6 figures based on rarity/importance.

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Interesting read. First off (ocd kicking in) a gripe. The photo at the top showing the back of the card isn’t actually the card in question. That’s the back of a 1979 Topps Gretzky RC not the OPC (different card stock, no french writing like on OPC).

Onto the card. That OPC is a psa 10, which has a population of 1 I’m pretty sure. Now with the centering issues it has and the OPC rough cut I’m not sure if it’s a true 10 but it’s gotten the tag so it is what it is. 

As it’s marked it’s the rarest Gretzky collectible out there and is singularly by its grade one of the top ten individual cards in existence based of importance and rarity. I’ve pulled a 79 opc out of a pack before and it came back a PSA 8. Getting that 10 designation instead of a still rare/desirable 9 grade changed that from a 80,000.00 card to a million dollar one. 

Even if we as a planet didn’t have so many Rona-bored and paper wealthy folks as we do now, that card would have done well into the 6 figures based on rarity/importance.

I get that it’s a 10 designation and therefore rare (maybe even 1 of a kind) but I do not get excited about graded collectibles nowadays. There is a similar discussion taking place right now in the Golden Age forum about buying the book and not the label but personally I would rather just stay away from all of these collectibles that derive their value because of the grade/condition. Too much fraud, restoration, and conflicts of interest from the grading companies. 

Derailing the thread a bit, I saw some postings from Krazy Kat above, who I think was a regular on this message board and on his way out just as I was starting up here. He was an uber-bull on OA if I recall? Haven't gone back and searched his old posts, but recall that he was considered a bit of a nutter who got a lot of push back, and I wonder if his views might look more sober with the reflection of time and the current state of the hobby? Anybody from ye olden days remember if I have that about right?

Edited by stinkininkin

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

There are two 10s. But, to be honest...neither of them look like 10s.  Even if you get past the "rough cut" on the edges (because O-Pee-Chee cards were cut with really terrible blades, more like wires IIRC, and, thus, PSA does not downgrade this defect), the centering doesn't scream "PSA 10" to me.  I've seen PSA 9s that have more eye appeal than this card.  :fear: 

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, Peter G said:

I get that it’s a 10 designation and therefore rare (maybe even 1 of a kind) but I do not get excited about graded collectibles nowadays. There is a similar discussion taking place right now in the Golden Age forum about buying the book and not the label but personally I would rather just stay away from all of these collectibles that derive their value because of the grade/condition. Too much fraud, restoration, and conflicts of interest from the grading companies. 

Agree 

10 hours ago, delekkerste said:

There are two 10s. But, to be honest...neither of them look like 10s.  Even if you get past the "rough cut" on the edges (because O-Pee-Chee cards were cut with really terrible blades, more like wires IIRC, and, thus, PSA does not downgrade this defect), the centering doesn't scream "PSA 10" to me.  I've seen PSA 9s that have more eye appeal than this card.  :fear: 

Honestly the only value to OPC rough cut is that they can’t be trimmed.

18 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I don’t collect cards, but after reading comments like this, that is one scary collectible market. 

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t collect cards, but after reading comments like this, that is one scary collectible market. 

It has its pitfalls. For example, there has been a rash of counterfeiting coming out of Europe lately in the soccer card market - loads of fake Lionel Messi rookies (that card has fetched as much as $117K at auction) and Maradona's 1st Panini sticker from 1979, for example.  

I just received an Andres Iniesta rookie yesterday that I strongly suspect is the latest fake to come out of Spain - I hope to be able to confirm it next week as I've just ordered another (definitely genuine) card from the same set so I can compare the card stock, which I strongly suspect is different on the card I received.  

35 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It has its pitfalls. For example, there has been a rash of counterfeiting coming out of Europe lately in the soccer card market - loads of fake Lionel Messi rookies (that card has fetched as much as $117K at auction) and Maradona's 1st Panini sticker from 1979, for example.  

I just received an Andres Iniesta rookie yesterday that I strongly suspect is the latest fake to come out of Spain - I hope to be able to confirm it next week as I've just ordered another (definitely genuine) card from the same set so I can compare the card stock, which I strongly suspect is different on the card I received.  

So what is next, charge back, lawyers, interpol?  Curious, David

2 hours ago, aokartman said:

So what is next, charge back, lawyers, interpol?  Curious, David

I've ordered another card from the same set that I know is genuine, and am going to compare the card stock used when it arrives next week. I'm pretty sure that it's going to confirm my suspicion that the card I received is fake (the print quality also shows signs of being a copy of a copy), at which point I'm going to confront the seller about it.  Not sure if I will go through the return process, especially since eBay is not good about international returns (they don't provide shipping labels and I've twice had to eat the cost of returns this year), or if I will just leave negative feedback and call out this guy on all the soccer card social media forums. 

The guy now has a fake Messi rookie up on eBay now (though, at least he labels it as a "facsimile"), so, that makes me doubly suspicious about the Iniesta card I received. 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I've ordered another card from the same set that I know is genuine, and am going to compare the card stock used when it arrives next week. I'm pretty sure that it's going to confirm my suspicion that the card I received is fake (the print quality also shows signs of being a copy of a copy), at which point I'm going to confront the seller about it.  Not sure if I will go through the return process, especially since eBay is not good about international returns (they don't provide shipping labels and I've twice had to eat the cost of returns this year), or if I will just leave negative feedback and call out this guy on all the soccer card social media forums. 

The guy now has a fake Messi rookie up on eBay now (though, at least he labels it as a "facsimile"), so, that makes me doubly suspicious about the Iniesta card I received. 

The fact that he labeled the other card as a fake suggests to me he thinks he sold you a real card.