• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(show recently purchased) Silver Age Comics that are cooling down (or cold)
2 2

83 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Happy_Thorsday said:

Bc is spot on with Avengers 55. I got back into collecting a bit before Age of Ultron dropped and a mid grade 5.5-6.0 AV 55 was around $200-250. I waited a few years and it went down to a quarter or a third of that. You can still get a 5.5-6.0 for under $100. Which if you like some of the Ultron storylines and future potential use of AI in comics or the MCU it's definitely cold considering.

AV55.jpg

Hadn't thought of that.  I remember in the comics, Ultron kept coming back.  I guess all of the villians do, but he'd always come back in interesting ways.  I recall one issue where a kid was in a junk yard kicking a can.  Then the drawing zoomed in on the "can" and it was Ultron's head.  Great stuff.

4 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hadn't thought of that.  I remember in the comics, Ultron kept coming back.  I guess all of the villians do, but he'd always come back in interesting ways.  I recall one issue where a kid was in a junk yard kicking a can.  Then the drawing zoomed in on the "can" and it was Ultron's head.  Great stuff.

Thanks and awesome Hulk book btw! Those first few are such an interesting parlay from marvel monster books into hero books. The Monsters turn Heroes! I dug this out. I had forgot about that ending until you referenced it so thanks for that!4_2_2021.thumb.jpeg.ca023c37f78021e4a4d4b4708b572d11.jpeg

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Not meaning to answer every post, but I was looking at that yesterday.  Back when I was picking up low grade Avengers for less than a McDonald's worker's salary, I remember thinking that book seemed unobtainable...in the same league as Showcase 4.  My memory might be faulty, but yeah...I'm in total agreement.  Need to find a shop that will allow me to put one on layway...soon as I pay off my current book. :)

FWIW, here's my most recent "cold" purchase (just paid it off).  Issue #1 is out of sight for me, price-wise, but still considered "cold".  Issue #2 is getting extremely expensive.  But issue #3 seems cheap considering it's his 3rd appearance (or maybe 4th if he was in a cross-over I'm not aware of).  They were still treating him like Frankenstein's Monster...he'd turn into the Hulk only at night, which I find charmingly different.  Plus it's got a rocket ship on the cover, which I've always liked after falling in love with the cover of Speed Carter Spaceman #1.  This is the seller's photo, but what I liked about this book is the colors seem to pop...could be creative photo editing by the seller.  Can't wait to get it in the mail.

cropped hulk.jpg

I'm not sure on your time frame of reference is for this book, but Go Collect has this book at $825 730 days ago, $900 365 days ago, and $1,000 60 days ago.

I was able to pick up a copy of Batman #117 CGC 5.0 recently for a decent discount from its value of one or two years ago. This may be related to the economy with a number of people still out of work due to covid. Or it could be just a lowering of interest in this book. (shrug) At any rate I was fortunate to pick up this copy that has a nice action cover of Batman and Robin on jet-skates a little over two months ago.

Batman_117_CGC.jpg

3 hours ago, Happy_Thorsday said:

Thanks and awesome Hulk book btw! Those first few are such an interesting parlay from marvel monster books into hero books. The Monsters turn Heroes! I dug this out. I had forgot about that ending until you referenced it so thanks for that!4_2_2021.thumb.jpeg.ca023c37f78021e4a4d4b4708b572d11.jpeg

3 hours ago, Happy_Thorsday said:

Thanks and awesome Hulk book btw! Those first few are such an interesting parlay from marvel monster books into hero books. The Monsters turn Heroes! I dug this out. I had forgot about that ending until you referenced it so thanks for that!

Oh my God!  That's the one!  I haven't seen that since I was in Jr. High!  I only had a dim memory of it.  It's so cool to see that again!  What issue is that from?

3 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

I'm not sure on your time frame of reference is for this book, but Go Collect has this book at $825 730 days ago, $900 365 days ago, and $1,000 60 days ago.

Awesome.  Let's just say that the seller didn't update his webpage for about 18 months then. :)

Yeah, that's still "cold" by todays standards.  Or is it?

Digging the Batman.  The late gold/early silver (so maybe that's "electrum" age) Batman and Superman books don't get enough respect.

Edited by Westy Steve

4 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Oh my God!  That's the one!  I haven't seen that since I was in Jr. High!  I only had a dim memory of it.  It's so cool to see that again!  What issue is that from?

I hear you with the middle school years, back then I was looking for X-men cheap and I could only find Avengers and Defenders :P. It's from Avengers 57! They had this amazing 4 book block. in 55 Red Cowl is revealed as Ultron, in 56 they time travel with Cap to see if Bucky really died and then by 57 they introduce vision who leads them to and helps them beat Ultron in 58. If you want to check out a recently comically relevant cover, look up 58 (first app of White Vision! *jokes*). 

Edit* all of this talk made me skim and they did not beat Ultron in 58. That was the origin issue for Vision and Ultron were it was found that Pym Created them.

174262342_Ultronrun.thumb.jpeg.be31908ffb131dd9e429fe5892b51b2f.jpeg

Edited by Happy_Thorsday
I was wrong!

6 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Bought this for my daughter's college fund.   This is an important book.  Of course, i know the book's story, but one ebayer cleverly advertises that it's the first multiverse in comics.  Don't know if that's true, but it did open up Earth 2 and completely change the story line.   And it reintroduces a golden age character, similar to Avengers 4 or Fantastic Four #4.  Seemed cheap.  Most importantly though, she's not a comic book reader, but she did obsess over the old Flash TV show, so she can relate to the book.

flash123 front.jpg

Pretty sure that’s true, at least in terms of a sustained, comic-universe multiverse...

On 4/4/2021 at 3:25 PM, Westy Steve said:

Bought this for my daughter's college fund.   This is an important book.  Of course, i know the book's story, but one ebayer cleverly advertises that it's the first multiverse in comics.  Don't know if that's true, but it did open up Earth 2 and completely change the story line.   And it reintroduces a golden age character, similar to Avengers 4 or Fantastic Four #4.  Seemed cheap.  Most importantly though, she's not a comic book reader, but she did obsess over the old Flash TV show, so she can relate to the book.

flash123 front.jpg

Have always loved that cover.

On 4/4/2021 at 3:25 PM, Westy Steve said:

flash123 front.jpg

One of the top comic covers ever

Flash 123 has never been a hot book but just keeps rolling along.I wish I had bought a 7.0-7.5 a few years ago. Tec 359 and Batman 181 are certainly not cooling although Tec 359 got a jump when Whedon was talking about the movie that never happened.

Generally after the bath from critics that JL took when it so under performed all expectations ALL DC top 50 books cooled, except SC 22 and maybe Adventure 247. Flash had been bumped up for quite a while by I believe Marvel fans who had no love for the character but were hopping on the hot book of that time, so SC4 and 105 cooled the most, (Marvel fans unloaded and moved on) but Showcase 30, Action, 242,252 all cooled and BB 28 cooled maybe the most. They are all back to where they were except for Flash 105 and SC4 (note SC 8, 13, and 14 keep trudging along and GPA somehow does not pick up Comic lInk which had a SC8 7.5 and a SC13 8.5 go just under $10k recently. )

Now the ones I was sure had cooled are first Rip Hunter, first Suicide Squad though it may be getting some bounce, but SS is getting a serious bounce, and Rip seems permanently neutral.

I thought SC17 first Adam Strange would be tempid but that Black Label has seen it become hot and SC 6 first Challs looks dead but a 5.5 went for $1,550 recently.

So yeah, just looks like SC4 and Flash 105 right now, and they are both looking very cheap, especially SC4, maybe less that 1,000 in all including coverless, centerfold missing half covers, no back covers etc. Looking cheaper every day. See what happens when the first Flash trailer hits the screen.

Oh course, $13.5 to 14.5K for a 4.0 is not exactly the cash most young fans have

37 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

So yeah, just looks like SC4 and Flash 105 right now, and they are both looking very cheap, especially SC4, maybe less that 1,000 in all including coverless, centerfold missing half covers, no back covers etc. Looking cheaper every day. See what happens when the first Flash trailer hits the screen.

Well Flash 105 has bounced, hmm the Snyder cut effect, or the coming movie effect, anyway it is moving again, looks like back in the green for grades big and small, time to grab another SC4.

On 4/1/2021 at 12:59 PM, PKJ said:

Bought this just recently. Under rated IMO and far from hot.

doom patrol.jpg

Well, maybe I did not actually buy this book. I usually never post pictures until in hand, but ComicLink just emailed me stating the seller of this book sent a 8.0 with lower PQ and a different certification. Politely declined that copy.

37 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Well, maybe I did not actually buy this book. I usually never post pictures until in hand, but ComicLink just emailed me stating the seller of this book sent a 8.0 with lower PQ and a different certification. Politely declined that copy.

They sent a different book than they listed? Thats not cool!  

On 4/1/2021 at 12:59 PM, PKJ said:

Bought this just recently. Under rated IMO and far from hot.

doom patrol.jpg

I have a few of these in lower grade and every time i am tempted to list them I ask myself why bother? there's plenty of other stuff I can list to make $75 or whatever that doesn't have the long term potential,

43 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

They sent a different book than they listed? Thats not cool!  

Yep, not to me yet, the book just got to CL and they noticed the certification was different. I had them holding the shipment anyway to combine when I send a check for my auction wins.

19 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I thought SC17 first Adam Strange would be tempid but that Black Label has seen it become hot and SC 6 first Challs looks dead but a 5.5 went for $1,550 recently.

I've been looking for a Showcase #6, but the prices on Ebay are ludicrous!

On 4/1/2021 at 8:54 PM, Happy_Thorsday said:

Bc is spot on with Avengers 55. I got back into collecting a bit before Age of Ultron dropped and a mid grade 5.5-6.0 AV 55 was around $200-250. I waited a few years and it went down to a quarter or a third of that. You can still get a 5.5-6.0 for under $100. Which if you like some of the Ultron storylines and future potential use of AI in comics or the MCU it's definitely cold considering.

AV55.jpg

were they really that high? are you talking in slabs? i feel like i got about $100-150 for mine, but may not have timed it perfectly

and yeah, ultron always comes back. except the movie did not mage huge avengers money, so they might not be so quick to