• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OOF - This Grade Hurt (CGC 5.5 Hi-Res Scan Link in Post)

27 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, C1one said:

It looks like the blades that did the cuts were dull, it almost looks like it pulled the edges up

Yep. I can see it now that I have it in person. 

10 hours ago, C1one said:

It looks like the blades that did the cuts were dull, it almost looks like it pulled the edges up

I stick around these parts to learn.   I find this interesting because when it comes to comics, CGC allows for certain manufacturer defects to be a non-factor in the grading practice.  For example, Amazing Spider-man 365 is a deluxe book with many more pages.  In the binding process almost every issue has a little tear on the fold of the spine.   CGC refers to this as a bindery tear and does not seem to count it as there are plenty of 9.8's that exist with that manufacturer defect. 

Another example is the existence of Marvel Chipping on 60's marvel also thought to have occurred by dull blades in the printing process.   What manufacturer defects if any, are allowable in card grading? 

So what I'm seeing on both the cards posted in the thread is the same issue. It has to do with the epoxy or whatever they use to texture the front of the newer cards that have that texture (FA and Rainbow). It seems to almost wrap over the top and bottom edges onto the back a bit so when it's cut it leaves a very noticeably rough edge. Also a couple of very small whitening dots (could be from dust but can't be sure from the images) and both are visibly off center. Not sure any of that really constitutes 6.5s but CGC have their algorithm that figures it all up (shrug)

On 4/6/2021 at 9:01 AM, C2N0 said:

Yep. I can see it now that I have it in person. 

Isn't it a shame when ... You did nothing wrong and the QC of the company destroys your chances :-P

9 hours ago, C1one said:

Isn't it a shame when ... You did nothing wrong and the QC of the company destroys your chances :-P

It is what it is. I knew the risks I was taking buying English product lol